Hammock isolation.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ah but you forgot one thing Rik... Comfort, if you can keep warm in it in winter it's still the comfiest night sleep to be had out of doors :) (imo).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
just take a tent...not rocket science which will be lighter and offer better protection:rolleyes:.

Couldn't agree more. I have a tent and a bivvy and find the both a lot easier to find a pitching spot than a hammock and keep you warmer.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Not that I've anything against tents or bivvi's or any other shelter. I like and use them all (hey so long as I'm camping out I'm happy :)) but my preference for comforts sake is always the hammock.

I agree it is probably easier to keep warm ground sleeping and even more so in a tent, however I'll take some 'faffing about' in exchange for that comfort.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I know what you mean but I feel a bit strange in a hammock. Guess I'm just a ground dweller but you never know I may convert.

Another one here that is in the hammock all year round. I'm pretty sure my set up doesn't weigh too much, and certainly no more than a tent sleeping bag and mat combo. I definitely sleep well and have tested my setup down to almost -10. Underblanket all the way...

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I know what you mean but I feel a bit strange in a hammock. Guess I'm just a ground dweller but you never know I may convert.

Give it a go, you might like it :). I don't see that it has to be a black and white hanger vs ground dweller scenario. Enjoy it all!

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I'm 6'4'' 17,5 stones. I HATE faffing about in a tent with my spine folded in half, fighting the mud, cooker, rain, snow inside, boots. Oh, don't even get me started on changing clothes in a cramped, humid, cluttered tent. And pray to god you don't roll of the mat on the bumpy/cold/wet ground.
For me sleeping under a tarp is an upgrade to a tent, sleeping in the hammock is an upgrade to sleeping only under a tarp.

In the summer you can get away with almost no preparation, just like with the tent.
In the winter you have to do things right, just like with the tent.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I may do just that! I did have a dd camper but never used it so swapped it. Would good hammock would you recommend for a reasonably priced all rounder? I might get one for Christmas :).

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I may do just that! I did have a dd camper but never used it so swapped it. Would good hammock would you recommend for a reasonably priced all rounder? I might get one for Christmas :).

I like my TW Green Hornet, bit wider than the DD's so easier to get comfy, they do a insulated version now that I like the look of. Check out Shug Emery's channel on Youtube for all things hammock.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I'm 6'4'' 17,5 stones.

Thats your problem bud ;) Have a mate who hammocks and is about the same size as you and he uses a down mat but they are not cheap.
Any insulation under you has got to stand up to the compression. So unless its a really good mat then you need to be thinking underblanket.

On the plus side you have no problem pushing down trees with bare hands, paddling a canoe one handed or splitting wood with your bare hands.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
:) how about a foam mat from b&q or carpet store cut to shape that would cover whole hammocks "floor". Fold in half and roll. Shoupd work with doubble layers inmy dd

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
:) how about a foam mat from b&q or carpet store cut to shape that would cover whole hammocks "floor". Fold in half and roll. Shoupd work with doubble layers inmy dd

Have a look at these for some ideas, if you want to use mats in winter they will work but you need the right system really

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearSPE.html

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15038

http://hikinghq.net/gear/pocket_pad.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Another hammock camper here and still very much a noob to it.

I use a thin reflectex ccf type mat and a thermarest neo xlite for the summer, and recently I have bought a winter down underquilt.

What I would say though is I started off with the snugpak synthetic underquilt, it was ok for 3 seasons, but I had some cold nights in it during winter, I wish I had saved up a bit longer and went straight for the down underquilt, I certainly would have saved a few quid!!

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I use a 3/8" (9mm?) closed cell foam mat down to freezing, together with a -5 deg sleeping bag. the 6'x20" mat is cut in half, and one piece placed longitudinally, and the other laterally to provide sufficient width at shoulder and arm level. I also have a 1/4" (6mm) mat 48" (1.2m) long x 30" (80mm) wide which is equally effective, but because of the 30" width, is clumsy to pack when backpacking. Closed cell foam mats are the least expensive and most versatile form of under insulation available. They are incompressable so it doesn't matter how heavy you are. They cannot puncture like an inflatable (e.g. Thermarest) They are windproof, and provide a vapour barrier. This last point can be a disadvantage for some people who suffer condensation of sweat which cannot escape through the vapour barrier. They are equally useful on the ground, can be used as sit/kneelpads in camp. They can even provide emergency flotation when river crossing:) Another benefit is cost. A CCF mat typically costs less than USD 10. A good down underquilt will cost up to USD 300. A double layer of CCF will take you well below freezing. You will need a well enveloping tarp, guyed down low, to keep wind down; any breeze across the bottom of the hammock will massively increase convection heat loss. A CCF pad helps here as it is windproof (not true for a down UQ). They are also waterproof, and will not absorb moisture, just wipe off the surface drops and it is useable. IMO, you can't say that for a quilt.
A CCF may not be as comfortable as a UQ, but it is bomb proof and fail safe.If you are a long way from civilisation on a winter night, that can save your life.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE