Hammock isolation.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
I'm 6'4'' 17,5 stones. I HATE faffing about in a tent with my spine folded in half, fighting the mud, cooker, rain, snow inside, boots. Oh, don't even get me started on changing clothes in a cramped, humid, cluttered tent. And pray to god you don't roll of the mat on the bumpy/cold/wet ground.
For me sleeping under a tarp is an upgrade to a tent, sleeping in the hammock is an upgrade to sleeping only under a tarp.

In the summer you can get away with almost no preparation, just like with the tent.
In the winter you have to do things right, just like with the tent.

I'm 6'8 and 18 stone and nothing comes close to the comfort and warmth of the hammock set up I have now unless I'm camping with the mrs on a futon with the woodburner having arrived by truck. First few times i used my camping mat beneath me, then I borrowed mates snugpack underquilt, and now have one of matts. It packs down smaller than a mat and keeps you toastie warm. I probably spent around a month in it over the last 12 months between laning and scouting and have had the temp down to -7. Key though with whichever UQ you go for is getting it to fit snug without being compressed. Also wear the hood off an old alpkit down jacket and that helps too on the cold nights too. But underquilt all the way for warmth and hammock for comfort.

ATB

Rich

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Just curious, how many of you using underquilts, still use sleeping bags with them.

I currently use a poncho liner as a full length underblanket with a Millets down sleeping bag along with a 3/4 light army ccf mat, called a sniper mat.

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
I use snugpak under and over quilts, I also have my old issue softy suit and 'tent' shoes, so all in all I'm never cold! I find the modular nature of this set up means I can stay just right.

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE