Hammock isolation.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Hi there.
Recently converted to hammocking and I need some help figuring out my isolation. So far I think Im sorted regarding tarp and suspention but I need your help avoiding Cold Butt Syndrome.

I think I have the top half covered as I have just invested in rab down bags (summer and winter one).
Summer is easy with my foam pad (I would like to have the option of sleeping on the ground). Also I have cured myself from self inflators, to fragile and finicky for me.
So what would be enough for let say -5?
I have a very thick and wide ccf mat which I have been using with my dd traveler hammock, just purchased nato folding mat (so thin...), and I have my old syntetic sleeping bag which was good down to +10 and its rectangular with two separate zips so it can be converted in to a underquilt/sock (1.4kg).

How good is the folding mat (I really like the size). Any benefit combining folding and roll mat? Recycling my old sleeping bag seems to be the heaviest option...
Any advice is welcome.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I use reflectix foil in mine also on occasion a lightly (not rigid) blown up thermarest. In summer I use a poncho liner to good effect. Mix and matched until comfy
Alan

Alan

have only tried it one night as i had just bought it at eh WG but a shorn Sheep fleece worked very well as my upper body insulation and as its been shorn ie cut to 3/4" long wool left it rolls and folds relatively small 2 would do a full body length

it sits in the hammock well and skin down doesn't slip very easily
plus easy to whip out and use as as sitting insulation round the fire etc

needs a bit more testing i think

got it from the Identity store who had a load in and & £15 very cheap for a fleece

ATB

Duncan

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
make an underquilt and if you think you cannot do the whole thing there is a chap doing the shell ,you just fill it to required down and stitch the end wall if you need a link i will post but making one is not that difficult this will solve all your problems atb wayne

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I think my real question is, how far ccf mat/nato folding mat can take me. I would really like to have the option to sleep on the ground. For some reason the idea of an underquilt doesnt appeal to me. Also I will have to carry the whole thing on my back so I would rather avoid an extra kilo or two...

I think my real question is, how far ccf mat/nato folding mat can take me. I would really like to have the option to sleep on the ground. For some reason the idea of an underquilt doesnt appeal to me. Also I will have to carry the whole thing on my back so I would rather avoid an extra kilo or two...

under quilts aren't that heavy But they are very Bulky so your sleep kit takes up a large space far more than a simple tarp and kip mat ever did

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Exactly, I can live with my sleeping bag already in my hammock and everything stuffed in to a drybag, but dubbling the size with the underquilt.... So how many of you use a sleeping mat/pad in a hammock and how low temperatur wise would you go with it.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Exactly, I can live with my sleeping bag already in my hammock and everything stuffed in to a drybag, but dubbling the size with the underquilt.... So how many of you use a sleeping mat/pad in a hammock and how low temperatur wise would you go with it.

I tried various methods of hammock insulation last winter; ccf mats, SIMs, wool blankets and a poncho liner under quilt I made. I found that the PLUQ in combination with a ccf mat was adequate down to -5 ish. In combination with a 3 season bag and wearing plenty of layers. I used that combination in conjunction with the wool blanket down to -9ish and I wasn't cold. The issue is the weight and bulk of this.
Depends on your needs I guess. Are you intending to hike and camp with your set up?

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I've tried them all over the last two years and have settled on the UQ as the best.
More bulk yes but I'm willing to make sacrifices for a good nights kip.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
For summer/autumn/spring I have:
Rab explorer 300 (goes down to +2 and can be unzipped all round to use as quilt) combined with either folding or my roll mat. Tested in fort william last week at +7 and I had to unzip.

For winter:
Rab ascent 700 (mummy shape, down to -12) and Im thinking both my mats (thats my real concern/doubt).

I will defitelly carry that on my back so Im not that keen on underquilts. Also I like simplicity and versatility of a mat. Im a warm sleeper and have no problem sleeping in clothes if i need to.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

The downside to using just a mat in winter is you get no protection from chilly breezes hitting the side of you hammock, just an elbow or knee poking out can be enough to make the night miserable. That's why underquilts have been developed and work so well in the colder months.

Have a look on hammockforums for some ideas, try searching for the SPE (sleeping pad extender) which is a nylon sleeve to hold a ccf mat but it also has side sleeves to give extra protection.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
I don't see why an underquilt is bulky they will pack down to a small stuff sack i would think the bulk will come from mats.
I never found mats to be comfortable in a hammock but i have seen guys cut up mats and shape them with wings to fit right but for me they tend to crease and be uncomfy.
you have no other options though if ground dwelling as an underquilt won't work right.
I have a question regarding winter sleeping is it warmer to be on the ground or hammock? i would have thought the ground would hold the cold temp more cooling you down but interested to here everyones thoughts on that, atb wayne

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I get the same impression that you only have to isolate from cold air and not frozen ground (as long as your tarp, trees, bush isshielding you from the wind chill). But there is a huge difference between "i think" and reality, thats why im asking.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
My reckoning is that hanging in the hammock is the equivelant of a freeze dried sausage. As mentioned, a knee, bum or elbow sticking out makes the experience uncomfortable.

I use a partially inflated mat, plenty of good ales, and pitch my tarp quite low when I'm out in cold weather. More recently I leave the hammock and take DD 3x3m tarp, fully inflate the mat, add big posh Dutch Army blanket (weighs a ton, but damn good), and a Snugpack bag. Just be aware that pitching the tarp low gets it dripping with condensation. Once it sags and you're in contact with it, misery sets in. Pitch it higher than you think and peg the sides right down to cut draughts.

I may be making the full return to a lightweight 2 man soon to be honest.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
A tarp with doors or closable ends helps to reduce convection.....and a cheap windscreen sun shield goes a longest. Then I have my sheepskin mat , made from coats. Not a lot of bulk and a lot of comfort. Imho

If Woden Wills It , then it will be so

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I just really don't 'get' all this nonsense with hammocks in winter, just take a tent...not rocket science which will be lighter and offer better protection:rolleyes:

Hammocks and the tropics = common sense, Hammocks and the winter = extra weight, less protection, faffing about et al. Bottom line is its up to the individual, personally I think your barking mad for even going with the concept...no offence meant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE