Hammock insulation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I get a buzz out of finding a cheaper alternative and it working.
Ditto. Something more satisfying about it. I'm toying with bubble wrap taped under a hammock as an underblanket just out of curiosity.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Ditto. Something more satisfying about it. I'm toying with bubble wrap taped under a hammock as an underblanket just out of curiosity.

lol...snap!

I found some insulating rolls that are used for underfloor heating... they're essentially bubble wrap covered in foil. I'm going to cut out shapes and stitch/tape it together to make it form around the hammock leaving a small gap of maybe an inch... see whether it works or not. It might be rubbish, or it might just work and if it does, it'll roll up to less than my foam mat and be lighter than my sleeping bag.

honisoitquimalypense

Sep 14, 2015
oxford
noisy. u will be in deep slumber burst a load and poop urself. better idea. get someone else to try in. what about that plumbers lagging silver stuff. seen that used a lot.

honisoitquimalypense

Sep 14, 2015
oxford
i have a roll matt for my hammock that i have cut holes in 4 corners and 1 either side in middle. use a bit of nano lighter , thinner paracord to tie round to stop slipping about. works a bit. not perfect

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know how parafoil chambered kites work ? One surface 'tensioned' and the other attached 'tubes' opened up by the wind ?
Why not construct something like that ? the taut surface is the hammock and the tubes hang underneath and are the insulation. Blow up long modelling balloons and fit them into the chambers…..like the ultra lightweight camping mats that the long distance runners use…..insulation, comfort and very, very little weight. No pressure on the balloons means that they can be deflated the next morning if you just use rubber bands to close them at the neck. No squeaking as you roll over either or popped balloons if you miss a stone on the ground.

M

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
i have a roll matt for my hammock that i have cut holes in 4 corners and 1 either side in middle. use a bit of nano lighter , thinner paracord to tie round to stop slipping about. works a bit. not perfect

I used that setup once, didn't find it very good as the roll mat was in tatters in the morning. I use a piece of an old sleeping bag with bungees ran through it now, but looking into modding a bag into a peapod

May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
As you saw at the Steadhall meet, I use a cheapy thin foam mat inbetween the layers and a £10 mummy bag... this last weekend at Britton the low was about 7c I think and I was toasty in the hammock. Granted I sleep with a bob cap on to keep my head warm, but I'm not using expensive kit.

I'm pretty sure if I'm out in minus conditions an upgrade may be in order, but again, not spending a fortune on kit... may sound soft, but I get a buzz out of finding a cheaper alternative and it working.

Shame I missed you this weekend at Britton Dewi, I was unable to come. I'm out this weekend though, the temperatures have dropped a bit in the past week so I'm hoping I'll be warm enough with my cheap roll mat and reflective windscreen cover.... We'll see. I like the cheaper alternatives if they work, no harm in trying these things, it's all part of the fun!

honisoitquimalypense

Sep 14, 2015
oxford
roll matts well old anyway and it hasnt done that. yeah goner try the sleeping bag idea. my mate has a wool blanket that wraps around the bottom of his hammock and uses about 8 dolly pegs to pinch the sides and lets the ends fall on the inside of the hammock on top of the mat. so hes got an underblanket under the hammock. i tried it and wasnt that keen but he swears by it. i use pegs to connect an old sleeping bag as an under quilt spring and autumn if hammocking. cheap and works

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE