Hammock insulation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
Hi guys,
Just wondered what different people use under their hammock for insulation, I'm not talking about under blankets, I'm talking sleep mats. My first time in a hammock I used my self inflating mat which with it been a single skin hammock the mat slipped around a bit during the night, now I have a double skin hammock I'm just wondering if a cheap foam mat will be best. So what do you guys use? Throw me some options please 😁😁
ATB
Ben

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use anything from folded blankets to Exped Down mats, self inflating mats to CCF ... they all keep you warm but some warmer than others when the temps fall away ... they are all comfortable but some are luxurious...

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I use a thermarest, or a foam mattress. Depending on the temps. After that the underquilt comes out to play.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
Thanks for the replies guys, I've picked up a CCF mat today and I'm going to use it along with a windscreen reflector, going for the cheaper option first, I'll see how I get on next weekend when I'm out, the colder weather is coming so I guess I'll be looking at an under blanket next

honisoitquimalypense

Sep 14, 2015
oxford
M8. hammocks in winter low temps suck. get a bivi bag. roll mat with your therma rest and 100 quid sleeping bag and your getting a stretched out warm night sleep. hammocks are a fad and need to go back to where they belong. jungle use only. blah blah blah!!

I used the British Army Issue Roll Mat, with no problems..... apart from when it got cold and windy, I felt the chill on my sides slightly (I used a Softie 12 with an issued goretex bivvy bag oh my hammock was a DD Travel Hammock) but that was rare.

It worked well for me, can't see why it wouldn't for others.

But then I made a costly mistake.................. I lay in a friends hammock with a UQ. it ended up costing me as I bought the Snugpack UQ, it's worth every penny.
I have to disagree with honisoitquimalypense I like my hammock and have never been more comfortable as I am in my hammock, however, if my hammock or its suspension breaks I'm in for a bad nights sleep as UQ's are no good as insulation when ground dwelling, if you have a mat especially a CCF one its not an issue.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
M8. hammocks in winter low temps suck. get a bivi bag. roll mat with your therma rest and 100 quid sleeping bag and your getting a stretched out warm night sleep. hammocks are a fad and need to go back to where they belong. jungle use only. blah blah blah!!

Never taken a hammock to the arctic myself but others certainly have. I have slept warm at -12*c before though
Its simply a matter of having the right kit for the situation, and to suit your preference of course

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Hammock with a half decent UB, improvised or bought will do you fine for low temperatures and far warmer than the ground. I've hammocked it in feet of snow and ive done it in a bivi and arctic sleeping bag. Much better nights sleep and woke up warm in a hammock

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
forgot to put this in before

Before i went to UQ's i used what called my pad "with wings" (pun intended)
CCF and/or thermarest with extra bits duck taped on to make 'shoulders'. Leave a little gap in the duck tape and the shoulders fold in for rolling. Not as good as an UQ but kept me warm for years

Ground sleeping in arctic conditions can be done with less kit than shug used in that vid, but not an awful lot less if you want similar comfort levels
i'm off for a two night hang this weekend with everything INSIDE a 35ltr bag. That includes a -20*c UQ and a -4*c TQ

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
forgot to put this in before

Before i went to UQ's i used what called my pad "with wings" (pun intended)
CCF and/or thermarest with extra bits duck taped on to make 'shoulders'. Leave a little gap in the duck tape and the shoulders fold in for rolling. Not as good as an UQ but kept me warm for years

Ground sleeping in arctic conditions can be done with less kit than shug used in that vid, but not an awful lot less if you want similar comfort levels
i'm off for a two night hang this weekend with everything INSIDE a 35ltr bag. That includes a -20*c UQ and a -4*c TQ

Have yourself a no gear weekend man sunndog its a really freeing experience.... Sorry, that's spelled freezing isn't it? :p
Good shout on the tape though wish I'd thought of that before!

honisoitquimalypense

Sep 14, 2015
oxford
define low temps please. dont wanna get boring but the heat loss by convection using a hammock is scientifically greater than being on the floor with the same kit. no organisation military or otherwise puts human beings in hammocks in cold low sub zero conditions. been to the arctic twice with regular -30c and once -47c and granted we had very good down bags that now run over 500 quid and in a tent with sown in groundsheet, roll mat and thermarest i slept every night in helly hansen issued lifa underwear long johns and long sleeved shirt and socks with nothing else. its a choice. every time you move or turn in a hammock you increase convective loss. I move and toss and turn as well which doesnt help and also its very hard to pee in a hammock with low temps but easy on the floor in a bag.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
No one was trying to convince you to use a hammock mate, nor was the O.P asking about hammock vs ground sleeping.....its all personal preference

No need to come on quite so strong fella

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
define low temps please. dont wanna get boring but the heat loss by convection using a hammock is scientifically greater than being on the floor with the same kit. no organisation military or otherwise puts human beings in hammocks in cold low sub zero conditions. been to the arctic twice with regular -30c and once -47c and granted we had very good down bags that now run over 500 quid and in a tent with sown in groundsheet, roll mat and thermarest i slept every night in helly hansen issued lifa underwear long johns and long sleeved shirt and socks with nothing else. its a choice. every time you move or turn in a hammock you increase convective loss. I move and toss and turn as well which doesnt help and also its very hard to pee in a hammock with low temps but easy on the floor in a bag.

That's the idea of the underblanket. I would say I felt an appreciable difference between floor sleeping and hammock. Both in comfort and temperature. You'll be surprised on peeing in a hammock, not that hard... Or you could stand up... Just saying it's a choice. Same way I don't use a pre bottle in bed I don't use an camping

Ps sorry for the hijack!

honisoitquimalypense

Sep 14, 2015
oxford
no hijack. lol. i cannot pee in the bottle in a hammock . impossible. at 10 or more below you dont get your bad boy out. gotta use the bottle. yeah i see what your saying. i use an underblanket myself when hammocking but bottom line is you are still losing heat by convection. a potential large amount. none at all in a tent on the floor. your enemy is conduction which with the roll mat, groundsheet virtually useless and thermarest will be less than 2% heat loss. simple science. guess if you in sunderland you get used to cold and bitter winds though.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
As you saw at the Steadhall meet, I use a cheapy thin foam mat inbetween the layers and a £10 mummy bag... this last weekend at Britton the low was about 7c I think and I was toasty in the hammock. Granted I sleep with a bob cap on to keep my head warm, but I'm not using expensive kit.

I'm pretty sure if I'm out in minus conditions an upgrade may be in order, but again, not spending a fortune on kit... may sound soft, but I get a buzz out of finding a cheaper alternative and it working.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE