Hammock Forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello People,
Well good news site opened again for use without chem. toilet. only the F.C. ask that you have some sort of premit......so that means this is basicaly
history as of the 05/05/07................................................would delete yet not sure how to at the moment...
I've posted this so others will have some ideas of where to go!. It was inspired because!!!!!!! Savernake Forest Malborough is a lovely place to go to for an hour, a week or five months. Tempted again I went there last sunday(7/9/05) and on arrival at the gate meet the ranger. A tall chap polite and understanding, where upon he raised his eyebrow and said unto me "SORRY YOU CAN'T CAMP HERE".Of course my mind raced for a logical reason\\ what could it be, my camo coat?no/my boots?no/ah ah my motorcycle?.....No.
The good fellow proceeded to educate mr.VIRULENT SALAMANDER (thats me) with the fact because I never had a chemical toilet I was not premited to use the site at postern hill malborough.

Is this discrimination or what?
smile_thinking.gif
I am to poor to have transport for a port-a-loo, how many children do you know who have their own chemical potty. I have been camping there now on & off for 33 years !, It was the only site that I know of that has trees for hammocks. I am shocked at what the forestry com. as done here.
  • "I HOPE ITS TEMPARY"
  • How many children
    smile_cry.gif
    young adults carry loo's.?
O.K. I put it to you good folk of the world to please add below any place's where you can take a hammock to sleep'in.
When there are enough I shell try and sling a list out of them all!, so people may know of sites where to go?.

The Ranger did tell me of another site1.5miles away (Wernham Farm Camping and Caravanning
Telephone: 01672 512236
Open: All year
Clench Common, Marlborough, Wilts, SN8 4DR)
on the Malborough pewsey road, which I am sorry to say has no trees to hang my hammock on, nice for a farm!.

beholden

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't think they can get away with that, *if* you show them that you have considered the problem and have treated it as one would if one were taking a pet out walking/ camping. We know urine soaks away/breaks down/ disappears pretty fast but faeces don't and can constitute at very least an annoyance and at worst a serious health hazard; so the "Poop, Scoop, Bag & Bin" ought to be applicable to humans too.
Nappy bags might be the way to go :D
It's got to be worth a phone call anyway to see if they'd consider it. At least make them think about those folks who don't come equiped with portaloos strapped to their rucksacs. ;)
I do know of an old man who talked about shitting on a folded sheet of newspaper and just burning it all when he was done. He really believed in, "Waste not, want not" as a lifetime's philosophy :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
When someone tells me that I am not allowed on thier land, I make it a point to get on the land no matter, especially when they are trying to be clever like this ranger.
Most rangers I know dont search around the woods and stay in thier nice warm vehicles. I would have told him I crap in plastic bags that I take them away from the site and would he like to examine the contents of the rucksack for said jobbies, some people..eh

Ah yes hiding in Savernake still sounds iffy, they deer hunt at night:confused:
Alas I might not sleep at night with an arrow in me... Postern hill is the paying camp site & only place to stay in forest not to worry its just think of how many children there are in a 10m area around Savernake forest that now will not be able to go camping as we did when we were young!.
I'm not really wanting to have to run from farm to farm asking if its ok to hammock late evening, but it seems with out camp sites farmers may be get their favourite eastends soap interupted if more people have to ask to use a field..

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
I know this sounds dumb but have you tried for a second opinion? The reason I say this is that I had a similar situation about 2 years ago on the island of Islay when I was lied to by someone who didn't want me there.
I intended to stay in the wild part of Islay very simply in my bivvy bag, out of everyones way and deep into the dunes, caves, near the beach. I telephoned the head gamekeeper who said that I must not under any circumstances cross the deer fence and go into the wildest parts because there were continuous stalking parties booked throughout the autumn.
Of course I did what he said and stayed on the more public side of the deer fence. About 6 weeks later I was given a lift from the younger gamekeeper and I told him what had been said. He was sorry, as he explained that stalking doesnt go on at the coast, and that there had been very few stalking bookings so I could have even roamed the hills had I wanted to. In particular he pointed out that had I met him he would have advised me that it would have been ok, clarifying any dates when it wasn't.
He explained that the older man just didnt like campers who might leave litter. This astonished me, because I was working on the old adage of whatever you carry in you carry out again.
I still had an amazing couple of months watching wildlife and I learned a lot about "authority." So good luck with your challenge and dont settle for less then best.
George
:)

leon-1

I agree with Toddy on the toilet bags for want of a better explanation, however just to play devil's advocate they may say that whilst using said bags you would be exposing yourself (indecently or otherwise), whci could then be classed as unsuitable behaviour around younger members of the community.

"YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE LOCKED UP AS A FLASHER"

Forestry commission can at times be rather annoying, but be aware that in the past they have had a tendency to push things to legal limit.

I would in your position seek information from the forestry commission themselves to try and get some satisfactory explanation / agreement. E-mail them to see what they have to say. If this is the case put Toddy's suggestion to them (also point out that by doing what they're doing they are effectively putting the area off limits to a lot of taxpayers). If Toddy's suggestion is acceptable to them then ask them to put it in writing, this way when you see said ranger again you can say well actually you're wrong and show him in writing (don't take the original, take a photocopy that you have fablon'd).

If he still declines entry to the site don't argue with him ask for his name politely and then retire home, pen a letter to the forestry commission, notifying them of his name the date and time that you arrived and that despite having shown him proof or evidence that it is OK with the commission he still declined entry.

Let them deal with him

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
lardbloke said:
I would have told him I crap in plastic bags that I take them away from the site and would he like to examine the contents of the rucksack for said jobbies, some people..eh

That's exactly what I'd have said to him and furthermore insisted that he be in the same place to meet me on my way out a few days later to inspect my......."waste". lol :D

We always had to pack our stuff out in bag when I was in the TA and our staff NCO's did actually check to make sure we had too! :eek:

Bam. :D

people I see where your heading only its not that bit troubling me its all the kids/old folk that will get to the gate after travel to find:eek: can't come in without a chemical ocean.

I did consider the bag angle butt as leon1 points out doing time for showing my white bum is not fun.
anyways hes just doing his job and although I can picture someone singing a monty sketch song..its not as fun as i find it.lol

Axe Catcher

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
The Wilds of Stratford-upon-Avon!
Toddy said:
We know urine soaks away/breaks down/ disappears pretty fast but faeces don't and can constitute at very least an annoyance and at worst a serious health hazard; so the "Poop, Scoop, Bag & Bin" ought to be applicable to humans too.
Nappy bags might be the way to go :D

Cheers,
Toddy

:confused: I've camped and overnighted in my hammock at Postern Hill a few times over the winter and into spring and I've had no problem with the rangers. I take nappy bags with me to dispose of waste, but neither of them have ever asked me about my provisions. I have found them both friendly and sympathetic but I am going to contact the F.C. to see if I need a permit.

Cheers
AC

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE