Hammock for a heavy guy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Good result. One night in a hammock is all it takes!! God that there are places like that for people to test the water.

How did you get on with your woodsman hammock? That's what I use and can't really fault it.

Jackdaw

Good result. One night in a hammock is all it takes!! God that there are places like that for people to test the water.

How did you get on with your woodsman hammock? That's what I use and can't really fault it.

I really like the Woodsman. It's lightweight and offers a really comfortable lay. My only problems (likely invented by me) is that it doesn't feel as robust as my old TW Hornet and I can't get on my side like I could with the Hornet (1.8m wide).

I'm probably going to be buying a DD Frontline XL myself and use it as a spare for the car and keep the Woodsman for Sunday best.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Thats funny, one of the things i like best about my woodsman is i can sleep great on my side

Do any of you bother with the adjustable foot sag?
I cant work out what it does, the footbox is just 'there' without bothering with that bit of string

Didn't know there was a hammock campsite like that....fantastic idea

sc_steve

Nov 18, 2009
Scotland
I'd suggest a Warbonnet or similar. I have the Blackbird (actually 2 of them) and they have a ton of space. The DD Hammocks are great entry level bits of kit, but just don't compare to this type of hammock. Much better sleeping and space and will be perfect for you...

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Thats funny, one of the things i like best about my woodsman is i can sleep great on my side

Do any of you bother with the adjustable foot sag?
I cant work out what it does, the footbox is just 'there' without bothering with that bit of string

Didn't know there was a hammock campsite like that....fantastic idea

If you have enough sag any hammock ends up with a mock footbox. The sewn footbox's [warbonnet] and tension type [woodsman] are simply there to take the strain off any bug netting you may use (noseeum/nanoseeum has next to no stretch). People used to think they where added comfort, but they are not. Brandon [warbonnet] (who i am fairly sure was the first to use them on his hammocks) clarified this on HF and essentially said those reporting gain in comfort where being anecdotal (indicating they where not hanging the hammock 'saggy' enough to begin with).

There is no benefit at all on a net-less hammock with a tension style footbox unless you are stringing it out tight in which case they can sometimes remove the 'knee ridge', which is obviously bad practice anyhow; a sewn footbox however can stop your quilt falling out and make folk feel less exposed.

There are elasticated footbox's on the netless snipe, known as the 'knotty mod' on HF. This is to pull in the slack fabric, same benefit as a sewn footbox.

@OP - I never realised you where well into hammocks already, my first response must have sounded condescending, apologies if so. Was trying to be as helpful as possible in one post.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Agree with the above. My UKH Woodsman is the bog standard version with no bug net or foot box. It's simply a large hammock (IIRC it's 3m x 1.5m) with a structural ridge line that enables you to set the sag. Hung correctly with the ridgeline not too taught and with your head end lower than your foot end (so you dont slide into the middle) and I find I can enjoy a flat diagonal lay and a very comfy nights sleeping on my back or side.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE