Borrow a hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GDSO

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2020
West Sussex
Hi All,

I have had a good read thorugh this forum and various other places for hammock reviews, and am considering one as an alternative to my tent. While there are shortcomings it's something I'm keen to try, but this is made slightly complicated by having a dodgy back. Depending on who you believe, hammocks are either great for people with bad backs, or terrible.

The long and the short of it is that I don't want to go thorugh the hassle of buying a hammock (probably the Hennsey Expedition Zip with the larger fly) only to find out I can't sleep in it. As an alternative, would there be any BCUK members willing to lend me one for a night so I can try it out? As a new member I won't be offended if the answer is no!

Cheers,
Greg

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
You'll probably want to borrow on for a few nights, you'll need the firs tone to get used to it and then you'll probably settle in. Too may people do one night and then write them off without a proper chance.

Good luck looking, you need someone down your way really, with the change in lockdown in England you could probably get one from someone easy enough if they were close enough...

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Hammock camping is similar to tent camping in that it takes a while to get the hang of something that essentially is very straightforward, but since it's more unusual, people tend to think that it's more complicated than it is. So play around with yours before writing them off.

I've got the HH Explorer zip and think it's amazing (apart from the weight maybe 1.5 kg), but, yes, you definitely want the bigger tarp/fly! If you don't want to risk buying to try (resale value is usually good!), there are loads of cheap camping hammocks available from £20 up that you can then have as a spare, as a chair on day trips and for friends and family. Just make sure you get one that's of a similar size to the Hennessy and not a little ditty one. :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The first hammock I tried I made out of a tarp - it was straight forward and allowed me to see of I could get a flat and comfortable lay. For a quick try you just pleat up the ends and tie them up - obviously it has to be safe. There are a few youtube videos on making a hammock if you've got some suitable material, but make sure you look at a camping one of decent size; the only leisure ones I have seen have all been far too small.

My two penneth worth Greg. The environment in the UK is one of the mildest you can get in regards to dangerous animals & finding a good site to set up camp. I suggest you stay with a lean-to canvas/oilcloth or a tent. You just can't beat lying in your bed with a warm fire in front of you, & not having to get out of bed on a winter's morning to brew a cup of tea :)
Keith.
Making-Camp-full-2-REDUCED.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My two penneth worth Greg. The environment in the UK is one of the mildest you can get in regards to dangerous animals & finding a good site to set up camp. I suggest you stay with a lean-to canvas/oilcloth or a tent. You just can't beat lying in your bed with a warm fire in front of you, & not having to get out of bed on a winter's morning to brew a cup of tea :)
Keith.

I agree with you completely, however, a lot of the best private and wild woodland in the UK is on a slope (that's why they're still there); the hammock comes into its own then :)

Reactions: Le Loup

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
As you're in Sussex I'd suggest once things get back to normal you check out forest knights and their Sussex bushcraft club.

I do intend to go down once this blows over and have a camp with them, could easily bring you a hammock to try out over the weekend.

I'm 6ft 5ins with a bad back and I've done nothing but hammock since about 2007. I did try to go back to sleeping on a ground mat in a tent for a week and found it an experience I never wanted to repeat. Granted you can go for the airbed (cold without a blanket) or a sprung camp bed, but you're adding complexity to something that can be simpler if you have trees.

If you are unlikely to backpack camp, I would suggest looking at big monsters hammocks. He has a hammock model with a sewn in synthetic underblanket. I bought the winter one and it's overly warm in summer but spot on in the colder months. I did a January camp but it wasn't cold enough to test properly.

You can get a summer one, add toggles and add an extra underblanket if required.

I would recommend it over a Hennessy or a WBBB. I have done a moot session on hammocks as I have pretty much all of the major brands now, Hennessy was my first (asym deluxe, bottom entry), then I got a UK hammocks WBBB clone, DD frontline (didn't get on with it, sold it) WBBB which is great except the zip is crap for the price!) And finally Big Monsters easyhammock. My only complaint about the easyhammock is the lack of gear shelf. If it had that, it would easily be my favourite hammock. The WBBB has the gear shelf but is a complete bottom to get in and out of due to the head net section.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
As you're in Sussex I'd suggest once things get back to normal you check out forest knights and their Sussex bushcraft club.

I do intend to go down once this blows over and have a camp with them, could easily bring you a hammock to try out over the weekend.

I'm 6ft 5ins with a bad back and I've done nothing but hammock since about 2007. I did try to go back to sleeping on a ground mat in a tent for a week and found it an experience I never wanted to repeat. Granted you can go for the airbed (cold without a blanket) or a sprung camp bed, but you're adding complexity to something that can be simpler if you have trees.

If you are unlikely to backpack camp, I would suggest looking at big monsters hammocks. He has a hammock model with a sewn in synthetic underblanket. I bought the winter one and it's overly warm in summer but spot on in the colder months. I did a January camp but it wasn't cold enough to test properly.

You can get a summer one, add toggles and add an extra underblanket if required.

I would recommend it over a Hennessy or a WBBB. I have done a moot session on hammocks as I have pretty much all of the major brands now, Hennessy was my first (asym deluxe, bottom entry), then I got a UK hammocks WBBB clone, DD frontline (didn't get on with it, sold it) WBBB which is great except the zip is crap for the price!) And finally Big Monsters easyhammock. My only complaint about the easyhammock is the lack of gear shelf. If it had that, it would easily be my favourite hammock. The WBBB has the gear shelf but is a complete bottom to get in and out of due to the head net section.

Easyhammock sell a ridgeline organiser. It’s perfect for a water bottle, torch and phone.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Yeah, it's not a patch on a gear shelf. I have it :) I also have a 2nd one which velcros over the line for all the other crap I need. My current list is:

Kindle, asthma inhaler, indigestion tablets car keys, phone. Head torch gets wrapped over the ridge line. If I'm camping with SteveT I also need ear plugs ;)

Reactions: Nice65

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion

You definitely figure out what you like and want and what works for you once you've used them a bit. I got the HH Explorer zip as I though I'd feel too closed in without being able to open it up and I could'n quite see the point of the bottom entry, but apart from ease of making the bed, I actually thing the bottom entry might be better. I can see how the sagging tarp when attached to the suspension lines wouldn't be as much of an issue if you had a bottom entry one. At least from a wiping off the condensation using your back point of view :D I should probably bite the bullet and try to find someone who sells HH compatible underquilts too. I've got a DD hammock one and although ok it's just a bit of faff to make it sit right every time.

I wish the UK had more trees to hang from so I could use it all the time!

Is the easyhammock winter one too warm in summer and the shoulder months for a cold sleeper do you think? The summer one seems a bit too cold, but maybe that's not the case?

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I've slept in it in the summer, but I'm usually in my boxers and a very thin sleeping bag.

I would prefer a warmer sleeping bag and a thinner underblanket. It's why I'm buying another one of Matt's soon. A summer one with clips, then I'm sorted for both!

Reactions: SaraR

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london

I had my mind set on a WBBB but the winter easyhammock looks very impressive.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
The benefit of the new WBBB is it now has two zippers which is much better. I got the old model, they literally changed it about a week after I bought it. I may actually send my WBBB back to get it modified and make it more useable. I still don't like the head net, I basically have to either duck or very much pull at the head net to get out. It makes it extremely uncomfortable for me (6ft 5ins) and I hate getting in and out. Inside it's lovely with it on obviously, but it does still feel a little restrictive inside.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE