Hammock Campers! Your advice please Gentle-ladies and Gentlemens???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Booo, you're no fun....

what he said lol. I disagree though Eds. I frequently walk with my hammock gear and can do it on a very reasonable weight. Case in point im just back from snowdonia. 2 days mountain walking ground dwelling and i carried a starting weight of 10kg all in. 2 days hammocking and i carried 11kg when i set off again. The extra kilo was fresh food instead of dried meals. Its easily doable on ground dwelling weight

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I love hammock camping, I love tent camping and bivvy camping for that matter. Why limit yourself?

My Zephyros 2 weighs 1.8kg so does my tarp and hammock set up, I wouldn't consider either heavy.

Tent doesn't come close to the hammock for comfort though :).

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
My hammock weighs less than my tent.

But I don't care, they aren't in competition with each other. Hammock for six months of the year, tent for the other six.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I don't camp much these days.

When I did, I mostly used a hammock - home-made variety. A hammock enables you to camp on steep dry slopes - which are usually fairly midge-free. Never felt the need for a midge net.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
NOMAD XXL hammock with a separate mozzy net for the warmer months. I have tried the hennesy jobbies which were fiddly, DD ones were too small. Not tried the Warbonnet types as tehy are a little out of my price range.

My Nomad has lasted years or regular use and is lightweight.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have a Hennessey Explorer Deluxe, with tree higher straps and rap rings for the suspension.
I use a Hex tarp and the bubble pad, although I have just got a DD underquilt.
I've bought my son the DD Scout and 3x3 tarp.
Whereabouts are you? You're welcome to try mine for size etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My 2p; I make and use virtually all my own kit for hanging;

3.3 m Pertex 4 hammocks. Single or double layer depending on whether I'm using a mat of some kind between the layers. I use an Exped 9lw Downmat for stupid cold conditions (Arctic winter trips) Whoopie slings, Dutch Whoopie hooks and 4 or 6ft tree straps depending on how big the trees are where I'm going. Very rarely do I use the detachable midge netting.
3.3m x 3.1m Tarp with doors. Centre panel pull outs. A homemade ally hook on one end and a Dutch flyz on the other end of my 12m Dyneema ridgeline.
Pertex shelled down underquilts- short ones for 3 season use or a full length for colder camps.
A down sleeping bag used as a quilt (feet in the footbox)or a dedicated down hammock top quilt.

I hang year round, often in the house too. The above setup, tweaked a little and in various guises and colours, has given me fantastic service abroad and at home in harsh conditions.

I'd recommend a DD frontline(as a noob hanger, you'll probably really appreciate the bug netting), a tarp with doors of some kind, 3m long will be fine and ideally an underquilt. CCF mats like a Karrimat are fine, cheap and very warm for their weight but need modding or doubling up to get the shoulder coverage because they aren't quite wide enough at 24". There is no substitute comfortwise for a decent underquilt.

The very best of all setups on the market IMO for quality and resale value is a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock, Hammock Gear Underquilts and Warbonnet or Hammock Gear Tarps, with Dutch titanium bits to rig it all up. Very much overkill for a starter though unless your quite flush.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
I use a DD camper hammock, DD xl tarp, whoopee slings, tree straps from 12mm climbing tape, 2x camp screwgate crabs to connect the slings to the straps, ridgeline is 4mm climbing accessory cord with 2mm prussuks to keep it tight, underblanket homemade from an old 3 season sleeping bag with a bust zip. Does me fine

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Umar7175

Aug 2, 2014
Lancashire
Hi adestu, I just read what you had to say about the Hennessy hammock. My question to you is the alpkit tarp that you use, would that still fit in a snake skin and does it all then fit in the original bag?
I personally use a compression sack for my HH hammock but if it fits in the original bag it will fit in my compression bag.
Thanks Umar7175

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE