Hammock advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'm sure one of the Mods can move me if it's not... :eek:

I am on a mission to buy hammocks for myself and my son, in order that I can get a bit of practice putting them up before the Moot, (or failing that get someone to give me a tutorial whilst there!), and have several questions:

1/ bearing in mind that the travel hammock has a double layer for a thermarest, will my boy be ok without this in the scout hammock?

2/ will I need more webbing etc than is included?

3/ The DD site has sold out of tarps so does anyone know where else I might get one, or another make that's as good at a similar price?

4/ Is it possible to hang the 2 hammocks side by side under one tarp? Or will the boy need his own tarp?

I'm sure I will think of more questions as I carry on looking, and will edit accordingly. Any other advice on anything I'm obviously overlooking would be much appreciated by this hammocking virgin :D

Thanks in advance guys :You_Rock_

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd still recommend putting a sleeping mat under your lad Iona, British weather is too changeable not to have something under him. He could slide it into his sleeping bag to stop it from sliding away.

Not sure how much webbing you get with the DDs but about 5m each end should be enough depending on how you set it up. Have a look at British Reds and Grahams tutorials for an insight, but if you don't get chance to practice somebody will definitely be around to help you at the moot.

Not sure about a similar priced tarp, have they said when they're getting more in ? I'd be tempted to wait if it's possible.

You really need a tarp for each hammock but I have seen some pics of two hammocks under one big tarp. I use a 3x3m tarp which is just about right for one hammock IMHO.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Thank you! The idea of putting a mat in his bag hadn't occured to me, sounds good though.

The site says they'll have more tarps in July, but is no more specific than that... and as the Moot's on the 31st...:dunno:

you get 10m of webbing, so I might take a chance and hope that's enough, And maybe see if they do a bigger tarp? I feel like I've seen a 3mx4.5m...

Again :You_Rock_ :cool:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thank you! The idea of putting a mat in his bag hadn't occured to me, sounds good though.

The site says they'll have more tarps in July, but is no more specific than that... and as the Moot's on the 31st...:dunno:

you get 10m of webbing, so I might take a chance and hope that's enough, And maybe see if they do a bigger tarp? I feel like I've seen a 3mx4.5m...

Again :You_Rock_ :cool:

If you've got a bivvy bag you could put the mat in there and then put the sleeping bag on top of that.

Just spotted the 4.5x3m aswell, hmmmm could be tempted myself. Give Nick a call and ask him when he expects more in, he's a top bloke.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Regarding tarps, I've got a Hilleberg XP5. Its 3.5x1.5m. Covers the hammock end to end with about 25 cm overlap at each end. Ideally, I'd prefer it to be a bit wider, but I think the material comes in 1.5 metre rolls. Great material and workmanship. Quite light too (500g). Bit pricey, but looks like it will last.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
1/ bearing in mind that the travel hammock has a double layer for a thermarest, will my boy be ok without this in the scout hammock?

Nope get a mat it does get colder on your back in hammock cheap closed foam is ok
2/ will I need more webbing etc than is included?

When I realised it was a dd hammock ;) urm well there is webbing with the hammocks I always found it a bit short. I no longer have my DD I use ropes and ring set to set the hammock correctly but this of course depends on how large the sistance is between the trees ;)
my advise test it before you go to the moot!
3/ The DD site has sold out of tarps so does anyone know where else I might get one, or another make that's as good at a similar price?
at a push B&Q builders tarps will work make a little bit of noise mind!
4/ Is it possible to hang the 2 hammocks side by side under one tarp? Or will the boy need his own tarp?
Depends how the trees are hanging hung in a v shape ala ed speer it would be possible I have seen also people hanging one above the over although I wouldnt want to do this its a possiblity

My biggest piece of advice is try it before you go its really quite different from camping ina tent!

and enjoy

Simon

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
If there is a Decathlon store near you, you could try them, not got one but for 20 quid ( last time I looked) you get a 3 x 3 tarp with 2 poles, so even if it lasts only a few trips would be useful?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE