Half log bench

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I wanted to try my hand at something besides the usual spoon/bowl/kuksa thing, so had a go at a bench. Made from pine and the top is finished with an axe
IMG_3658_zps599cc004.jpg

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Very nice :)

Can I ask how the legs are fitted? They don't look like through tenons to me, so I'm assuming just partial tenons, glued? blind wedges? friction fit? something else entirely? Just curious :)

Cheers,

Stuart.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Have you treated it with something?
No. I didn't want to use varnish (yuk!) and so considered linseed oil, but haven't done it yet. I'm not sure but I might just leave it to age naturally. I rather like the weathered silver look.

Can I ask how the legs are fitted? They don't look like through tenons to me, so I'm assuming just partial tenons, glued? blind wedges? friction fit? something else entirely?
Stuart.
The legs are simply tapered to fit into blind holes, so will fall out if the bench is picked up, but since it's to be stationary I don't have a problem leaving it like that.
I considered boring the holes through and using wedges, axe handle fashion, but decided I like the looks of this better. And since the wood is green, the legs will simply slide farther up into the holes as things dry out. My theory, anyway:)

The underside:
IMG_3652_zps3868861a.jpg

That will go in my garden nicely.
Hugo, if you come get it it's yours:D

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
...The legs are simply tapered to fit into blind holes, so will fall out if the bench is picked up, but since it's to be stationary I don't have a problem leaving it like that.
I considered boring the holes through and using wedges, axe handle fashion, but decided I like the looks of this better. And since the wood is green, the legs will simply slide farther up into the holes as things dry out. My theory, anyway:)

Thanks for that, curiosity satisfied :)

Biker

Very nice piece of work that. Well done.

I remember while watching the Masterclass series on Green woodworking mentioning how the dried rail fitted to a chair made from green wood fitted really tight over time. You can see this method demonstrated in the last 30 seconds in the first video below and it's further explained in the video found in the link just below it. I can't post two videos in one posting

So I'm guessing you could get those legs to fit and the wood seat to shrink around them locking them in nice and tight. Hope you find them helpful.

[video=youtube;w9rGPzRv49k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9rGPzRv49k[/video]

Part three of this programme can be found here

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Yep looks to me like you need a new axe! Great bench by the way, but a new axe and you could make another and compare the hewn surface like an experiment. I’m not encouraging you or anything but two benches are better than one:)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That is lovely. I like the underside a lot, but I'm lost in admiration for the finish you have achieved on the top.

I need to make one of those.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Thanks so much everyone. I'm a bit surprised (pleasantly:)) that there's this much interest in a bench.

I remember while watching the Masterclass series on Green woodworking mentioning how the dried rail fitted to a chair made from green wood fitted really tight over time.

So I'm guessing you could get those legs to fit and the wood seat to shrink around them locking them in nice and tight. Hope you find them helpful.

Thank you Biker. I actually watched both videos. There's some good stuff there:)
Every time I think I know a bit about something, I learn something new, and a person is never too old to learn!

Yep looks to me like you need a new axe! Great bench by the way, but a new axe and you could make another and compare the hewn surface like an experiment. I’m not encouraging you or anything but two benches are better than one:)

Actually (as you know:)), I don't need much of an excuse to get another axe:rolleyes:. And
I do have the other half of that log....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE