Had your own boots made?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

Hope you all had a good Christmas!!

I worked for a couple of days for someone who was planning a walk across Africa, he said he was having a pair of boots made espcially for him.
Apparently they made a cast of his feet, and build the boots around the mold.
Unfortuneatly I have not worked for him since, but I would like to know, has anyone had boots made for them, and if so how good are they, and where can I have some made? (I live between Cambridge, Colchester and Ipswich).

Many thanks,

Happy New Year,

Paul.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A number of years ago I had Altberg make my wifes boots for her. Her feet are like daggers - long thin and pointed - and the ends of her big toes turn upwards...(women are from Venus or at least not from earth!).
We srarted with a model designed for the kind of use my wife would be giving them and this in standard sizes cost £60 at the time. Her feet were carefully measured and a basic last was adapted to her measurements. Each alteration to the basic last was going to cost something around £5... the boots finally cost me £120!
Those boots are still going strong and are the most comfortable and best performing boots she has ever worn.
She has had other made to measure boots in the past which have not been as successful.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I decided to treat myself to a pair of Altbergs earlier in the year and while they took about 5 months to make them, the wait was worth it. Can't praise them enough, only pair of boots that I haven't had to break-in - well it didn't feel like breaking them in :D

They run boot-fitting days around the country, if you're interested you should give them a call and find out if there's one near you.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Mine are a custom made to fit hiking boot by Limmer Boots in Intervale NH, USA. Cost $550 but you can resole them several times and fit great on my 8-1/4 size 6E feet (american measure).

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
A number of years ago I had Altberg make my wifes boots for her. Her feet are like daggers - long thin and pointed - and the ends of her big toes turn upwards...(women are from Venus or at least not from earth!).

Have no fear John, she's not alone - my size 11 feet are exactly the same. My biggest problem, and no doubt your wife's too, is getting boots that I can actually do up tight enough as most of the time the lace eyes actually meet in the middle and STILL the boots are loose.. And as the toes turn up, you need longer boots too..

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I'm on the wrong side of the planet. Do you think if I made a cast of my own feet, I could have them make me a pair based on the casts. I have a spare sack of concrete from a recent project.

Was that an underwater foot-wear project by any chance? :lmao:

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Sounds fairly reasonable.
I have some boots that are pretty good, but when walking more than 5/6 miles they do start to rub a bit.
I will find out if they are touring near me soon.

Thanks for all the input,

Paul.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I had my own boots made once. But my reply isn't much use because I had them made by a cobbler on Hong Kong island and they were cowboy style boots for horse riding.

Still it was an interesting experience. I got to choose the leather, the design, colour and everything. He had previous designs he'd made for American sailors to show me so that I could get ideas for what I wanted.

He measured each foot individually, length, width, girth and the circumference of my legs too. A couple of weeks later they were ready and jolly nice they were too. I don't' recall what happened to them, I think I probably had to leave them behind somewhere to get my baggage weight down. (Got me wondering about them now, what did happen to them? :rolleyes: )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE