Hacked a file to bits

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Someone on here with large hands asked for a file knife to be made for him. We were doing a swap but strange things happened so he had to back out.
The blank I had made had been sitting around so I decided to sharpen it today & as I hadn't time to put some scales on it, I thought I'd do a paracord wrap. A little uneven but, what the hey

Sliced paper easy enough, made some feather sticks and chopped a branch or two. Tried it on paper again and still sliced it so I'm assuming it will hold the edge OK ;)
Not shiny but then again "Chrome don't get you home" as they say and it's hard to make a shiny file :lmao:
Now have to decide about a sheath. Leather or plastic? Quandaries & decisions abound :rofl:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Nice one Kev. I like file knives where the file-look is preserved. Will you put scales on it or is the paracord permanent?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Be a shame for that to have to live in a plastic jacket! Leather all the way, I says.................It's a beauty, Kev.....................

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
Very nice, hang on, is that 30cm on the ruler? as in, a 30 cm long knife? bloody hell that's bigger than I thought from the photos :eek:
still very nice though. did you heat-treat it or work it still in file-hardness?

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
bloody hell that's big hands! I vote for leather for the sheath in a rustic style :D
Can't think off the top of my head the heat-treatment temps I last saw, but I think the tempering temperature was harder. Soo.... pretty high Rc, yeah?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE