Habitat with most odds off obtaining all your wild food needs in the U.K.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n00b

Forager
Aug 7, 2023
-
Actually removing protein from plants would be a useful process, as I understand it is not extremely complicated but not trivial either, industrial processes exist to do that.
Some expect leafu to replace soy in vegan junk food. It's obviously much better for health and the planet. It was invented in WW2 in anticipation of food shortages in Britain, then kind of forgotten about. More recently an organisation taught the process to malnourished communities in poor countries. There's definitely something to it on an industrial scale.

Reactions: Poacherman

n00b

Forager
Aug 7, 2023
-
In my opinion there's no substitute for meat it's available for us 12 months off the year and I'm very thankfull but that's just my opinionn.
Yeah if I ate meat I'd be sorted I think. It would also be a solution to the indignity of shopping at supermarkets.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Some expect leafu to replace soy in vegan junk food. It's obviously much better for health and the planet. It was invented in WW2 in anticipation of food shortages in Britain, then kind of forgotten about. More recently an organisation taught the process to malnourished communities in poor countries. There's definitely something to it on an industrial scale.
Yes the only soy I think Is half decent is natto because its fermented.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Yeah if I ate meat I'd be sorted I think. It would also be a solution to the indignity of shopping at supermarkets.
Youl feel a lot better all primitive tribes went to huge lengths to obtain meat non farmers that is huge lengths I think for good reason.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Primitive ? define primitive.

Leaf curd has been produced in some form or other since the 1940's. ....if it were such a good idea, such an easy thing to make, you'd think it would have taken off by now.
I mean we've had tvp available for at least my lifetime, and it's pretty dire.

Tofu is easy, I make it at home, so is nut milk. I think leaf curd is an effort and a half for not a lot of gain.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Primitive ? define primitive.

Leaf curd has been produced in some form or other since the 1940's. ....if it were such a good idea, such an easy thing to make, you'd think it would have taken off by now.
I mean we've had tvp available for at least my lifetime, and it's pretty dire.

Tofu is easy, I make it at home, so is nut milk. I think leaf curd is an effort and a half for not a lot of gain.

By primitive I meant bona fide Hunter gatherers.

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
With farming obesity also went thru the sky.
Obesity has only really been an issue the last 20-30yrs, we've been farming a tad longer than that.
The modern obesity issue is down to multiple factors, ultra processes foods, lack of exercise and greed being the most prevalent.

n00b

Forager
Aug 7, 2023
-
I think the main appeal is economics. As that paper says you can grow crops for biofuels and use the waste, the leaves, for food.

Reactions: Toddy

n00b

Forager
Aug 7, 2023
-
As a possible survival food in the wild, the appeal is you don't have to spend time looking for the right plant or beating other animals to it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tengu and I, and others on the forum, are archaeologists. We have 'issues' with describing people as 'primitive'.

Hunter gatherers are, situation dependant, very much omnivores, but again, mind that bit about human choice and cultural mores.
Both anthropology and archaeology show that peoples made choices, had taboos, etc., and sometimes those don't make sense to us. We can only presume that those made sense to the people who lived in the past.
Often too there is more evidence of perhaps not farming, but definitely 'gardening', and the changes they made to their environment, permanent changes, such as to capture fish or encourage habitats. Not quite animal husbandry, but still using animals within their territory.

We don't think that's primitive, and we have sound evidences going back many thousands of years to support that opinion.
As a possible survival food in the wild, the appeal is you don't have to spend time looking for the right plant or beating other animals to it.

I think in that situation though it's back to the conundrum of the rabbit starvation though.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Obesity has only really been an issue the last 20-30yrs, we've been farming a tad longer than that.
The modern obesity issue is down to multiple factors, ultra processes foods, lack of exercise and greed being the most prevalent.
Henry the 8th is a exception but people's greed astounds me these days you are right they are food addicts and need serious counselling n perhaps hypnotherapy. Diet does way more than exercise ever can exercise is still important for heart health though, people overeat get fat but are undernourished because processed foods like bread are empty calories .Spike blood then it drops and u Eat more garbage cake ect. Real food like liver ,good fats meat nourish u without making u feel starving later

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Tengu and I, and others on the forum, are archaeologists. We have 'issues' with describing people as 'primitive'.

Hunter gatherers are, situation dependant, very much omnivores, but again, mind that bit about human choice and cultural mores.
Both anthropology and archaeology show that peoples made choices, had taboos, etc., and sometimes those don't make sense to us. We can only presume that those made sense to the people who lived in the past.
Often too there is more evidence of perhaps not farming, but definitely 'gardening', and the changes they made to their environment, permanent changes, such as to capture fish or encourage habitats. Not quite animal husbandry, but still using animals within their territory.

We don't think that's primitive, and we have sound evidences going back many thousands of years to support that opinion.

I think in that situation though it's back to the conundrum of the rabbit starvation though.
Prime means the first or best prim ,itive is not a insult quite the opposite ,plus iv seen the word used before on this site many times without issues .I actually practise some primitive skills and prefer it to bushcraft . Im not a kit junky either so iff it was a insult id be insulting myself which is ironic

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What do you mean?

Rabbit starvation....you can expend more energy catching rabbits than you gain from eating them....thus you actually starve even though you're eating food.

It's a balance, we need so many (estimates vary, in the Western world it's a high number though) calories in an average day, but we expend energy to acquire those, and if the weather is miserable, the prey isn't easily available, then starvation was surprisingly common among hunting/fishing tribes.
Inuit tales are full of such stories, and they were superb hunters but they lived in an incredibly challenging environment.

In Africa, where humanity originated, there was (still is in some areas, https://www.theguardian.com/inequal...cial-to-hunter-gatherers-evolutionary-success
a very different take on things, but they don't need the same amount of calories just to stay warm, or the effort necessary to make skin cagoules, fur clothing, etc., just to exist in their homeland.

That's why we think farming really comes to the fore in other regions, and it does so in many different places worldwide. It's such a good idea, grow crops, gather them, store them safely, and you have a backup plan if the hunting fails.
The problem is though, that if you have a reliable food source, more healthy children survive to adulthood, and they themselves farm and breed and populations grown and before long there's not enough land to go around, and then there's strife.

It's one of the reasons behind the Vikings suddenly breenging out of Scandinavia. They'd developed their iron mining, smelting and tool making, and metal shod ploughs allowed them to open up more farmland and breed more children to adulthood. They rapidly simply swamped their farmlands with too many people. So off they went looking for everything from adventure to land, to slaves to gold, but at heart home was just overcrowded.

To Archaeologists there are no primitive people. There are peoples of the past, but they're just us from a different time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE