H.E.S.T. RAT Cutlery (now ESEE Knives)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I know this is not the usual knife for bushcrafting...but I thought a few of you here may have some of the same thoughts I do. While I do love the bush and spend as much time there as life will allow I Admittedly lean more towards the "survivalist/prepper" philosophy on things in general, I really can't help it as it stems from habits started as a kid growing up in the "Cold-War". Living in a rather large city that is surrounded by nuclear power plants, chemical processing plants, and a few fuel depots...then watching things deteriorate before my eyes here due to the recession and seeing the gangs grow in numbers does nothing at all to alleviate those thoughts and habits. Thanks to a lot of the friends I have made here I have learned a lot of things, among those is that I really don't always need a knife as large as I once thought I did, and for that I am grateful as small knives have the inherent ability to be carried more discretely. A knife that I cannot carry does me no good at all. Lately I have been putting together a comprehensive kit that will work for me in an urban environment as well as in the bush. One of the tools I got for this kit is a H.E.S.T. (Hostile Environment Survival Tool) made by RAT Cutlery, now ESEE cutlery, and designed by Robert Young Pelton. Some seem to think of it as a tactical knife but with an over-all length of less than 8 inches/20 cm, and a cutting edge of only 3 inches/7.6 cm... tactical is just not a word that comes to mind for me when I am looking at it. It is made of 5mm 1095 steel and having a few of their knives I can say that ESEE does a fantastic heat treat and an impossible to beat no questions asked life time warranty.

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

The day I got it I only had time to check it out a little but really liked how it handled, and liked the hollow cavity in the handle.

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

It did make a great improvised snow scraper to clear my windshield wipers. I even used the pry bar to open my frozen door once (no pics of prying the door, it took two hands).

IMG_0147.jpg

It's a small-ish knife but using a two finger grip, which the pry bar really comes in handy for by the way, I was able to chop so far and then break some solid branches really quickly.

IMG_0498.jpg

Then batoning them went really well, the handle scales never loosened or gave me any problems at all.

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

Then I decided to try something a little bigger so I tried it on a piece of seasoned, forked, Black Walnut. And that was no problem either and still no loosening of the scales. I'm liking RAT's system of adding scales to skeletonized handles, I will likely get some for my Izula.

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

I used it with a baton to split off some pieces of fatwood off of a fatwood log I found a while back.

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

Then I did a little more whittling with it. First in fatwood, and then a piece of Black Birch I found laying around. I am well pleased with how it handles and how it cuts.

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

You can always tell when I really like something when I end up getting multiples...at least when I can afford it. I'm reeeally liking the H.E.S.T.

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

Personally I could do without the bottle opener most of the time, but it never gets in my way or makes the knife uncomfortable. It did come in handy the night I wanted to quietly celebrate my first published writing :) , and has come in handy on a couple of other occasions.

IMG_0287.jpg

Here is a picture that may help put it's size in perspective for some people with it side by side with my Swiss Army Soldier Knife Which I am assuming is the same size as the One Hand Trekker.

IMG_2680.jpg

Then there was a pot of soup I made...it did really well too.

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

I like the carry options it offers, even though they were the same in the factory sheath I did have a custom sheath made for it that is Bi-symmetrical for my own personal reasons....I have a thing about symmetry I suppose.

I can carry it down low and attached to the Janus pouch on my shoulder strap like this

IMG_3098.jpg

I can carry it up high on my sternum like this.

IMG_2682.jpg

using the same cord and cord lock I can make a belt loop to wear it on my belt and now I have it rigged up with almost 2 meters of paracord so that I can see how it does around my neck

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3121.jpg

This is what it looks like without the scales. Either way I carry it it is 3 inches/7.6cm over flat ground, razor sharp steel with a great heat treat that I can keep a great grip on.

IMG_3117.jpg

Last edited:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Very nice review, Mist'.

I've been looking at this one over on BF, and like it more than the Izula, especially with the storage capacity, larger blade and prybar.

Have you thought about maybe putting a Black Crater Cord Lock Light on the paracord, in place of the standard cord lock?

Congratulations on getting your first published article!
happy0034.gif

Having more than one of a particular tool, for specific tasks, makes sense.

Dinner looked good!
character0076.gif

A verry good review there mate! well done. And congratulations on your first published piece. I do like this knife, time to save some pennies. :D

Thanks Davey, I'm glad you liked the review, I really do like this knife very much. I've had it around my neck for about seven hours now...it's not exactly light but not bad either.

Very nice review, Mist'.

I've been looking at this one over on BF, and like it more than the Izula, especially with the storage capacity, larger blade and prybar.

Have you thought about maybe putting a Black Crater Cord Lock Light on the paracord, in place of the standard cord lock?

Congratulations on getting your first published article!
happy0034.gif

Having more than one of a particular tool, for specific tasks, makes sense.

Dinner looked good!
character0076.gif

Thanks, yeah lol, I did a write up over there some time back, several people that hang out in the RAT/ESEE forums have gotten them lately. I like it better than the Izula or the RC-3 either one, though I do like my Izula, I can wear it around my neck and forget it's there and it is a VERY stout, very capable little knife. When I'm out I always have the Izula and the the RC-4 and HEST take turns on my shoulder strap unless I'm carrying something larger on my belt.

I'd like to get one of those cord lock lights and plan to later....just hit a bit of a tight spot money wise though so it will have to wait.

Thank you, yeah...I like my soups...been cooking them for ....several years now.

Well, I had two of them, but after I bought the RC-4 my brother wouldn't let it go until I let him have one...I may buy another later, or I may just get an RC-3mil to round out the group.

I appreciate the well wishes on the writing guys, I just turned in my second assignment but I'm not sure which issue it will be in. It was a bit of a surreal feeling seeing my name in print and on news stands...then again it's still surreal every time I see the Schrade SCHF9 on a website somewhere too...really cool mind you, but still surreal none the less.

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Well aint that one nice gadget,can i have it yes:lmao:

No,seriously speaking,its very nice looking and whats the most important it seems to suit its masters needs well.
I like to see these reviews showing the knife in real life-use,in owners hands,showing some scale of measure and that the review is based on actual use,not just "copy & paste" stuff and nice pics showin obviously un-used product in clean enviroment.

hats up to you,man,and thanks for wrtining that makes sense and makes me want to own one too.

Well aint that one nice gadget,can i have it yes:lmao:

No,seriously speaking,its very nice looking and whats the most important it seems to suit its masters needs well.
I like to see these reviews showing the knife in real life-use,in owners hands,showing some scale of measure and that the review is based on actual use,not just "copy & paste" stuff and nice pics showin obviously un-used product in clean enviroment.

hats up to you,man,and thanks for wrtining that makes sense and makes me want to own one too.

Thanks PRKL, glad you enjoyed the review. I really do enjoy the knife.

No copy/pasting done here...any knife that ends up in my hands gets used...and used...and used :)

Nice, nice review! Thanks.

Thanks Alfredo! Glad you liked the review!

I like the H.E.S.T. too. Nice compact tool with no nonsense features. Great review of a fine bit of kit.

For info Heinnie have it here

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/R.A.T.-Cutlery/Rat-Cutlery-H.E.S.T/p-92-421-4500/

Thanks Dave. I really love the knife...simple, straight forward design, user friendly ergonomics, features usable in the real world, very robust yet not heavy, made of a proven steel with an excellent heat treat and temper, and backed by an unbeatable warranty. Hard to ask for more than that.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I do like it and i am not usually a fan of the more "tactical look"
Great review as usual ;)

Bit pricey over here though!

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Now that ESEE and DPX have parted ways, ESEE have stopped producction and they'll be unavailable in their current form eventually. I got one last month from eseeknives.com, the official ESEE dealers over here. I originally wanted to get one to save as a drawer queen because they'll be rare. However, it's such a nice feeling knife (well proportioned, comfortable and with really clever features) that it's gradually becoming a user. I'm thinking of getting a second one (there's a sign of an addiction).

DPX are planning on bringing out a HEST II at some point. They're working on "improvements" and at least one model will be in stainless for marine use.

Claudiasboris

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
Now that ESEE and DPX have parted ways, ESEE have stopped producction and they'll be unavailable in their current form eventually.

Yeah, it's quite unfortunate seeing as it's such a useful looking knife. This is the response I got after an e-mail to www.eseeknives.co.uk:

"The HEST has now been discontinued from the ESEE line. Survival Knives Ltd
will carry the DPx Gear version as soon as it will be re-issued. At this
stage no date has been set for its release. It is becoming quite rare and
most dealers we know are out of stock. Will let you know if we can find one
for you."

I have gone for an Izula II in the interim :)

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i've had loads of ESEE/RAT stuff over the years, it has all been totally excellent. without exception.

cool review, shame about the bottle opener, real men don't need bottle openers. ;)

cheers, and.

I've been looking for one of these in the UK, but they seem to be out of stock across the board :(

There are some changes in the works. Will be a bit before things are finalized...

brilliant review mate!

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it.

I do like it and i am not usually a fan of the more "tactical look"
Great review as usual ;)

Bit pricey over here though!

I like it because it is small, tough, and wickedly sharp. It goes where I go.

I have noticed that about other knives as well. I think that's just the way it goes though. I wanted a bushcraft knife made in the UK, but I have bought two really nice custom made bushcraft knives made over here for what the one I wanted from over there would have cost me...and I'm not talking Woodlore.

Now that ESEE and DPX have parted ways, ESEE have stopped producction and they'll be unavailable in their current form eventually. I got one last month from eseeknives.com, the official ESEE dealers over here. I originally wanted to get one to save as a drawer queen because they'll be rare. However, it's such a nice feeling knife (well proportioned, comfortable and with really clever features) that it's gradually becoming a user. I'm thinking of getting a second one (there's a sign of an addiction).

DPX are planning on bringing out a HEST II at some point. They're working on "improvements" and at least one model will be in stainless for marine use.

Claudiasboris

I'm really looking forward the the HEST-II, I hope it doesn't take too long.

Yeah, it's quite unfortunate seeing as it's such a useful looking knife. This is the response I got after an e-mail to www.eseeknives.co.uk:

"The HEST has now been discontinued from the ESEE line. Survival Knives Ltd
will carry the DPx Gear version as soon as it will be re-issued. At this
stage no date has been set for its release. It is becoming quite rare and
most dealers we know are out of stock. Will let you know if we can find one
for you."

I have gone for an Izula II in the interim :)

I love my Izula, it stays in my camera case, I have thought about the Izula II but I'm fine with the original so I ordered another ESEE-4 instead and I'm really happy with it.

i've had loads of ESEE/RAT stuff over the years, it has all been totally excellent. without exception.

cool review, shame about the bottle opener, real men don't need bottle openers. ;)

cheers, and.

They do make great tools. I would have been fine without the bottle opener, but it being there wasn't a deal maker for me. I've put the knife through some pretty rough paces and it's still going strong. I like it so much I have two of them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE