Gypsy Flower - How ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just followed the link (it didn't open for me at first and the name is the same :dunno: ) mine look more like crazy dahlias :rolleyes:

I can do these, not as well I hasten to add, but I can make them.
Willow or elder rod, 10 or 12mm diameter, cut to about 35 or 40cms long. Put one end firmly against your breastbone and the other against a fence post or a tree (I know someone who does it against his boot) and then take long fine curls, north, south, east and west. That'll leave you with four flat faces and eight corners. Curl down those eight corners to get back to four. Take those four and you ought to be about through to the pith. Snap the flower head off and use the pointed end of the stick to shove though the pith in the centre to make a stem.
Ta - ra, one gypsy rose :D

I know there are other ways of doing this, desil or widdershins only, more curls, six path and the like, but this is the one I know.

cheers,
Toddy

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Take a look at Stuart King's site here You just need some hazel that's not too green, not too dry and a steady hand. My daughter sometimes makes & sells these when Robin's demonstrating at craft fairs and has been known to take a small fortune! I'll dig out some photos of her making them...
Robin made her a special shaving horse which has an old spokeshave blade mounted pointing away from her to pull the stick past and make the petals:
IrishAinA200428.jpg

and it has a twist drill bit mounted on it to drill for the stem:
IrishAinA200411.jpg

She'd have been about 10 when these were taken.
Nicola

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Thanks for the information on this, I must give it a try. If I don't make a pigs ear of it I will post a picture of my efforts.
Thanks again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE