Guide to ID trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bowman

Jan 6, 2006
East Sussex
I am just starting to learn how to ID trees in the winter and found this to be very helpful. There is a twig/bud ID chart which, if you can print off in colour as a pdf file, is good to keep in your pocket on walks in the woods. Other charts are available for leaves, fruit, etc. for use later in the year.

Hope this helps if you're like me and struggling a bit.

Woodland Trust - Nature Detectives

Reactions: Toddy

redflex

Need to contact Admin...

leon-1

I use a Collins Gem to identify a tree in summer / spring and then watch the changes throughout a year, it's not an absolute, but it is a good way to learn.

A good pocket guide is a Collins Wild Guide "TREES"
ISBN 0-00-220009-0
RRP £8.99

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Thanks all those are some really nice resorces they'll keep me entertained this afternoon i didn't fancy doing work anyway:D

James

Hawthorn

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2005
London
There's some good advice and sites on this thread for anyone interested in identifying trees. The most helpful resource for me has been the 'Collins TREE GUIDE', its great as it shows all the different types of buds, leaves, bark, etc., for nearly all the British and European tree varieties, including the very rare ones. It even tells you what part of a tree is poisonous (if any). I've had great fun using it. :D

Scytale

Jan 1, 2006
Bromborough, Wirral
I also have the Collins gem "Trees", but those charts are an excellent concise presentation for us novices. Does anyone know of a similar resource that gives the bushcraft uses of the common trees as succinctly?

Regards

John

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
I've found an interesting way of practicing with my sons help.

We went out to our local woods, and found as many different trees as we could. Carefully detatching each twig from its tree. We identified each one using 'Collins Gem Trees', Then labelled them with a piece of numbered tape.

When we arrived home with a bunch of twigs, we placed them into individual jars, tubs or bottles with enough water to cover the bottom 30mm of twig. Sited them on a warmish window sill, with good light.

They have been there for 6 days now, and have just started to show emerging leaves. Both me and my son, are seeing the leaves develop, and will find out if we guessed right on their species; which is helpful as each have their own characteristics. So next spring, we should have a better idea of different species throughout spring.

I've enjoyed it, my son loves it, and it is better than anything a book can show you of a developing leaf/ twig. And when the leaf is fully developed I'll realise he's done much better than me guessing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE