Guess These?

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Went for a lovely walk around Bradley Pond today, it's only 5 minutes from our house, spring is definately on her way, i know nothing about fungi and my plant knowledge is limited, that coupled with laziness! So ID please.

Thanks

Ivan...

Walk at Bradley Pond 15.04.13 001.jpg Walk at Bradley Pond 15.04.13 002.jpg Walk at Bradley Pond 15.04.13 003.jpg Walk at Bradley Pond 15.04.13 004.jpgWalk at Bradley Pond 15.04.13 005.jpg Walk at Bradley Pond 15.04.13 007.jpg Walk at Bradley Pond 15.04.13 010.jpg Walk at Bradley Pond 15.04.13 012.jpg

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks Harvestman, just the other fungi to go, OH! you can't have number 6, the clue was in the write up, Bradley Pond.

Atb

Ivan...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Well, cat among the pigeons time, my other half thinks 3 and 4 are Western Skunk Cabbage, i did think it stank, but thought it might have been the stagnant water.

Ivan...

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If people are happy that number 2 is Turkey tail (Trametes versicolor), then number 1 is just an old version of same.

I've never seen a yello Cuckoo Pint either, but that is what it is. Can't find skunk cabbage in my book. Might be another name for the same thing.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Well, cat among the pigeons time, my other half thinks 3 and 4 are Western Skunk Cabbage, i did think it stank, but thought it might have been the stagnant water.

Ivan...

Just googled "western skunk cabbage" and I'm inclined to agree. Totally new one on me, I would've bet diamonds that the plant in your photo was Arum maculatum too. Every day's a school day :)

Cheers,

Stuart.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Like you Ivan I have similar reasons for wanting the violets to be called Devon or Parma violets. But a little research has sunk our boat.

Parma violets came from Italy originally and are noted for their sweet scent. Our 'Devon violets' are scentless. :( Parma violets are also a well known form of confection with a violet taste that was produced in our home-town.

I can't find any reference to Devon violets except as varieties in flower nursery catalogues. Wild varieties don't seem to exist - double :(!

Of the scentless violets I think your example is either Common Dog violet or Hairy violet, I can't tell which from the picture.

Sorry to burst your (our) bubble. :( I hope somebody tells me I'm wrong.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE