Guerilla Camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Unfortunate title but interesting meander through someone else's blogs.

It's always the size of space that they talk of in America and Australia that gets me........he's on a tiny parcel of land, it's *only* 44 acres :rolleyes: :D

44 acres of woodland and field and hill here and I'd have a permanent stream of visitors just dropping in for a weekend slung between two trees :D :cool:
Can you imagine what the likes of Eric would achieve if he had *only* 44 acres ?? :)

cheers,
Toddy

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
We have a couple of friends with 5 acres and if it wasn't for family do's no one would ever see them, they are so totally self contained even producing enough surplus to pay the dreaded council tax. If they had 44 acres we'd have to go and hunt them out

charadeur

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2009
USA Michigan
Having a lot of wilderness land is one great thing about the US. Having to put up with the likes of nuts like Rush Limbaugh is the trade off.

I also would not take the blogs suggestions on inner city camping in the US. They will kill you in some places just because you are out of place.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Isn't inner city bushcraft just not being a bum / wino? Those guys know about keeping warm and surviving in a situation that some of us "hardended" Bushcraft folk may struggle in. I for one have no qualms about living wild for relatively extended periods in the countryside / sea-shore. But inner city living is dangerious and depressing at the best of times... never mind out on the street.
Goatboy.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
inner city camping is no fun at all, and bad for your health. whether the locals kill you or not

I travel all over the world for a living, and I'm always going for walks and looking for what I call "micro-wilderness". When I find it near or in large cities, there is almost invariably a whole village of bums living there. I've walked into a couple uncomfortable situations. Some of their living arrangements are ingenious, though.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
It's always the size of space that they talk of in America and Australia that gets me........he's on a tiny parcel of land, it's *only* 44 acres :rolleyes;

The east coast of America is relatively crowded, yet we own 52 acres of woods on a pond from which no houses are visible. We can walk in one direction for two miles without crossing a road or powerline. We often see deer, bear and moose there. But compared to Alaska, Michigan's northern peninsula, the Bob Marshal wilderness, etc., that's nothing.

I'm always shocked when visiting England by how little untouched land there is. The hiking is very pleasant and civilized - there don't seem to be extremes of weather, and you can usually find a pub when you're tired - but there literally doesn't seem to be a single acre of true wilderness on the island.

hmm. the thing about urban wilderness is interesting. areas can go wild quite quickly if abandoned or neglected. like housing estates in the process of being cleared, with half-gutted tower blocks all over the place. or abandoned industrial parks far enough from the city to make them not worth developing.

you can usually get away with squatting houses or land in areas that the authority has abandoned, for one reason or another. at least as long as you don't cause too much trouble for the local community or state.

as with rural camping, the way you're treated by landowners, the police or wider society depends largely on how you present yourself. in this context i'd say that cleaning up your immdeiate surroundings, planting flowers and making nice paintings before you get kicked out is the urban equivalent of camping light, leaving nothing behind and taking a few bags of other peoples' litter with you.

it's not an ideal that's often realised, and if then usually by aquiring a collective mortgage or an agreement with the local authority.

i realise i've just wandered well off topic, into realms of counter-cultural housing practice, so i'll leave it at that

Hey that's my blog! When I saw bushcraft UK as an incoming link, I had to look.

Truth be told, guys, I never set out to camp in cities. I say in the original blogs that I avoid it like the plague. But I like to take ridiculously long walks (9 months was my longest). And there usually aren't trails or a easy row of sanctioned campsites between points A and B, so I've camped in some very strange places. Sometimes, you have to sleep in a city.

Well, the post brought me back. I'd been totally without internet forever it seems, and had forgotten all about this forum!

And I would say that "inner city" bushcraft is simply knowing the skills to survive unassisted in your environment. I've spent lots of time with the homeless, particularly disabled vets, and let me tell you, you can learn a few things about the wilderness from those guys, but they know more about the cities around them than anyone.

Being a "bum" or "wino", however means being "worthless" or a "drunkard", two types of people you will find on the streets, but by far not the majority. It would be akin to comparing bushcraft to heading out with a motor home and a generator. They are not the same thing, though they are done in the same places.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
It's always the size of space that they talk of in America and Australia that gets me........he's on a tiny parcel of land, it's *only* 44 acres :rolleyes: :D

That's why I'm so impressed with all the bushcraft interest and knowledge in the UK...so difficult to find a bit of wilderness to get away for a weekend, yet so many people
are really into it. Here in Canada bushcraft doesn't even have fringe status. We're really spoiled here...we're on 450 acres of woodland surrounded by
Crown Land wilderness in every direction, but I don't do half the bushcrafty activities that most on this forum get up to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE