GTX or not GTX, that is the question?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goretex or no gortex for a general purpose boot.

• Goretex - Yes please!

Votes: 38 45.2%
  • Goretex - No thanks!

Votes: 46 54.8%

• Total voters

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Just an aside here. I live where it gets very hot in the summer and I am a big advocate of a thick pair of wool socks in a boot even then. When I'm out walking, my feet do not feel hot or uncomfortable. When I take my boots and socks off at the end of the day, my feet are dry. They are not wet and sweaty. The wool wicks away all of the moisture.

One caveat, the socks must be of a good high quality virgin wool and not have a bunch of spandex or anything else added. Also, they must be thick. Obviously your boot needs to be sized accordingly.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Goretex and there equivalents suck, but then so does everything else.

Never mind all this scientific stuff about water penetration, the facts as I have discovered are if you are out long enough in a rainstorm it's gonna get through.

In a survival situation what is going to matter is how fast you lose heat.

Buffalo shirt wins that you never feel wet on the inside no matter what, but it is just too warm for general exertion. Vinyl is waterproof for sure. I have an swiss alpenflage poncho, but it is a bit too bulky. Waxed cotton is the business in a forever downpour, but it is not really packable.

Well never mind the top half, given this weekends downpours I figured so far as my legs are concerned at least skin is the best and wore my shorts. Better than waiting for my trouser legs to dry out.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Goretex and there equivalents suck, but then so does everything else.

Never mind all this scientific stuff about water penetration, the facts as I have discovered are if you are out long enough in a rainstorm it's gonna get through.

In a survival situation what is going to matter is how fast you lose heat.

Buffalo shirt wins that you never feel wet on the inside no matter what, but it is just too warm for general exertion. Vinyl is waterproof for sure. I have an swiss alpenflage poncho, but it is a bit too bulky. Waxed cotton is the business in a forever downpour, but it is not really packable.

Well never mind the top half, given this weekends downpours I figured so far as my legs are concerned at least skin is the best and wore my shorts. Better than waiting for my trouser legs to dry out.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I never buy gortex boots, because you can buy gortex socks and wear them with ANY boot that you have. Same amount of protection, (1 layer of gortex) and loads cheaper.

I personally have had great results with gortex socks, and can't for the life of me understand why someone would be opposed to gortex socks or boots for that matter. But I always wear a thick wool sock under them, with a silk sock under the wool. The boot I generally wear is a pair of Rockys, although I have a pair of U.S. Army boots and a pair of U.S. Airforce quick lace boots that I love but the damn things squeek so annoyingly that I don't generally wear them.

Had mine for well over 3 years and they have been the best boot I have ever owned, yes they have a goretex liner, and I have never had a problem with them, would not part with them for the world.
I have the Miendl Lhotse.

Superb boot, never let so much as a drop in, and I have used them in splashes whilst wildfowling.

Get the goretex is my advice.
It's what I will buy again next time, but looking at the way the boots have held up, that will be in around 7 years time.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I go with non gortex as I find that then my feet don't sweat and also they are quicker drying. I work in all conditions and weathers and I still find it the best way of working all you need is to regularly treat with dubbin type stuff (I have 3 different types i can use). Alot depends on the type of boots you wear though i find. I have various boots from Altberg through lowa, scrapa, britons and issue boots, they have all lasted on me and i have very weird feet, one supulated and one pronated (due to a car running over my foot once....long story). Insoles make a big difference to my feet so selection of them is even harder but thats another post too.

V

Vector

Just an aside here. I live where it gets very hot in the summer and I am a big advocate of a thick pair of wool socks in a boot even then. When I'm out walking, my feet do not feel hot or uncomfortable. When I take my boots and socks off at the end of the day, my feet are dry. They are not wet and sweaty. The wool wicks away all of the moisture.

One caveat, the socks must be of a good high quality virgin wool and not have a bunch of spandex or anything else added. Also, they must be thick. Obviously your boot needs to be sized accordingly.

Excellent logic my friend...wool is the forgotten "miracle" fabric ...all us old guys knew this all along. It beats the heck out of poly any day of the week!!

Yes, great advice, I always wear wool inside my goretex boots, so I have no sweat problems, plus I have the goretex liner. Seems a good combination to me, plus you get the best of both worlds

Miendl actually make their own woollen socks, that's what I use. Had nothing but good results.goodjob

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
If I wanted to climb with crampons in icy conditions or do day long trips on glaciers / icefields I'd buy plastic shell boots with a removable inner - though they're awful things that are useless for anything else. This is because they're warmer and more rigid for their weight.

Oh and man do those things bruise your shins. I remember coming down in the snow whilst up in the highlands once and I was grunting through gritted teeth each step of the way... I wasn't all that talkative or friendly on that trip down :)

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
Well, I've been a big fan of goretex-lined boots for years. I've found in the past that no matter how well proofed your unlined boots are, they soak through eventually. I don't have a problem with hot or sweaty feet.

I agree. My GTX lined Lowa's are the best boots I've ever owned. Wear wicking socks. Waterproofing leather boots with beeswax etc prevents breathing anyway.

Last edited:

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
I've used both Goretex lined boots and all leather boots and both have kept my feet dry. The leather ones just took a little more work. So my vote is blank.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
No goretex for me! I've had three different pairs of gortex boots over the years (mid cost and fabric/leather)- all leaked within the equivalent of about 20 miles walking. Then i just wax up the boots, and put up with having even less breathability in them. I favour plain leather- slightly more breathable, and less hot, but the real boon is that when your feet get the inevitable soaking (heavy rain running down your legs, falling into/going across a waterbody etc) then they dry out much much quicker. In the military goretex lined boots are generally frowned upon, and the vast bulk of squaddies who buy their own go for the non goretex versions of Lowas/Meindles/Altburg etc.

I honestly think that goretex in boots is 90% a cunning marketing ploy to enable manufacturers to state their boots are 100% waterproof for buyers that don't know much better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE