Grohmanns No. 4 Survival Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I have recently received a flat grind Grohmanns No. 4 survival knife in stainless steel as I wanted to try something a bit heavier/bigger than my beloved flat ground No. 1.

Now, any debate of the steel aside, does anyone have any comments on the No. 4, particularly relating to the sheath? I rather like the knife itself, it's heavy enough to chop branches with (my only gripe with the No. 1 and boat knife) yet I had no trouble preparing food with it and, for my hand, the erganomics are fantastic.

Does anyone know of a "better" sheath that will take it? Even something in nylon like the sheath Aktis does for the MoD type D would be better for me . What I'd really like is something that wouldn't interfere with the wearing of a bergan with a waist belt or that the tails of a shirt wouldn't get in the way of. I usually wear neck sheaths but this ones just too heavy even for my Darbysh' neck!

All the best

Tom

leon-1

Hi Tom, I take it that you have the standard sheath for the number 4 like this

no4big.jpg

I have used the picture from the Grohmann website.
This demonstrates quite well that the sheath is probably shorter than the knife and relies upon the retainer to hold the knife in place.

Now imagine a sheath which is a deep fitting, friction fit, pouch sheath, it would be almost the same length as the sheath that you have there, but the difference is at the top of your current sheath where the belt loop folds over that would be the top of the sheath and it would have a "D" ring fitted and through the "D" ring would be fitted a separate belt loop.

Using a dangler sheath has benefits in as much as it hangs lower than your waist belt on the bergan and that when you sit in a car it can move and twist without sticking into you.

This is a left handed sheath that I made for Neil1's Grohmann #3 (I also made the knife), this illustrates the deep friction fit sheath quite well.

Sheathed.jpg

Now here is a picture of an F1 (it's the one below the WM1) in a dangler sheath, it will give you an idea as to how much lower the knife sits than your waist.

F1WM1.jpg

The F1 and sheath were also made for a left handed person.

There are any number of talented people on here who would be more than capable of making such an item for you, I can name Dougster, Tiffers, Rapidboy or Singteck off the top of my head who would do a very tidy job.

I hope this gives you some ideas,

Leon.:)

J. J. Magnum

Feb 28, 2006
USA
On/Scene Tactical (Canada) does a nice kydex sheath for the #4, and I'm sure you could discuss with him the possibility of attaching it directly to the waist belt of your bergen or some other method of mounting it for your comfort.

They can be reached at: http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel/products.htm

I have no business connection with On/Scene Tactical, but Eric has made sheaths for me in the past and they are first rate.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Leon et al

yup thats the sheath that comes with it, good quality leather but thats about all you can say for it.

Yes a deep fitting friction sheath as you described would be ideal, its what I'm used to on the No.1 and theres no faffing with the retainer. The only thing I'd also want would be some means of attaching a tie down in case I deceided it needed strapping to my leg. Much easier to have it done at the start than adding it later I guess. I certainly used the one on my old MoD type D to stop it slapping my leg to death!

On purely aethetics grounds I think leathers the way to go although those kydex jobs do look the business!

Cheers!

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Folks
in the end I swapped a mate in the US for one of these

http://www.knivesdirect.com/details.php?Model=100S&PHPSESSID=3910107a1d7ed6dd396126af54d7e9f1

with the idea of making a bayonet frog like holder to take it and make it hang at the right height/way for me. However, my lack of the right terminology for the leather I need is making it difficult for me to search the net for the right materials. I'd like something similar to the stuff the sheath is made from. Can anyone advise please?

ATB

Tom

leon-1

Hi Folks
in the end I swapped a mate in the US for one of these

http://www.knivesdirect.com/details.php?Model=100S&PHPSESSID=3910107a1d7ed6dd396126af54d7e9f1

with the idea of making a bayonet frog like holder to take it and make it hang at the right height/way for me. However, my lack of the right terminology for the leather I need is making it difficult for me to search the net for the right materials. I'd like something similar to the stuff the sheath is made from. Can anyone advise please?

ATB

Tom

Tom, the Grohmann sheath is made from about 3 / 3.2mm veg tanned leather, the colour is natural and undyed.

Off the top of my head I cannot remember if Grohmann use synthetic thread or not, but you would need around 18/3 linen thread or something like tiger thread. If the frog is to sit on a dangler loop you will require an inch D ring or O ring.

I hope this will help.

Leon.:)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks Leon, thats exactly what I needed to know!
When its done I'll inflict a photo of it on you all.

I'm toying with cutting down and fitting a very slim, short handle to one of my spare/worn short 1/4 inch bevelled chissels to go in the long slot. I don't do much rope work so a marlinspike would be superfluous, and I wouldn't use a sharpening steel. Meny the time I've regretted not having a small chissel when playing in the woods.

ATB

Tom

Variant 13

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Berkshire
Just a quickie; if you want an extension to your sheath I use an old climbing karabiner so that acts as a dangler and more useful as I can take the knife on and off quickly and easily (and hang it from my rucksack or harness where necessary. Also I can wear it left or right handed as circumstances dictate.

----------------------------------------------------------
I’m living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart.
- e e cummings

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Good idea that! herself has some crabs tucked away from her caving days.

I'm back to doing a dangler as with more thought the frog idea won't work so well with what I want to put in the slot. I may do a frog for the No. 1 or No. 2 belt knives for when I don't want to wear them around my neck.

I'm thinking of outting a tunnel on the back to sometimes take a thigh strap although I may cop out and just put a small D-ring on the tip to take a cord.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Folks
well, I've cobbled together the first part of the alterations to the No. 4 sheath, a cut down chissel for the slot down the side.

I found a spare 1/4 inch mortis chissel in the pending pile with a knackered handle and cleaned the blade up (it still looks a bit rough but at least the back is polished smooth). I then cut the handle down to what seams the shortest useable lenght. I deceided I wanted to cap it with some thing so I could batten it. like a registered mortis. Anyroad, the best thing I could find was a 0.5 inch cartridge case which I chopped down to size and carved the handle down to a tight fit. Currently it is epoxied on but I will stick a brass pin through, just in case. I dare say I could have cut a ring out of the case rather than use the end but I ended up using the cap end as a striking surface.

It's a bit rough and ready as I don't know how much I will actually use it and didn't want to waste too much time on it. It took a couple of hours pottering after supper to do. Certainly in the past I have regretted not having one to hand.

I'll post a pic when the jpgs have been sized. I had a go at making a dangler using some scap leather and a big brass ring from a old gas mask case but I made a pigs ear of it.
;-{D)

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE