Grohmann questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a Grohmann knife and without being able to pick them up I am unsure which one to buy. The knife will do some basic work with wood but it will be used mostly for cutting up small animals and as a fairly leightweight general carry. Can anyone help me on the following;

Boat knife or Bird and Trout. I would ideally like the smaller Bird and trout but is that handle not a bit awkward? Can anyone tell me if it is still nice to use?

Steel. I am not asking for a stainless/carbon debate. I just want to know if either steel is any good. If the stainless is good then I will go for it.

Flat or sabre grind. I can't believe I am asking this! I prefer a sabre grind for the purpose of this knife but I notice that a lot of people go for the flat grind. Any reason?

Any information is much appreciated.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Sabre grind boat knife,the SS is fine,it ain't gonna win any awards but it gets the job done
and ok to sharpen/edge retention.I have the Rosewood handle,if you can ,get the sheath
with the fold over top and sam brown stud.
Good knife for the money.
Cheers.
Chris.

the flat grind slices a bit nicer but i prefer the saber grind.

you can't go wrong with any of dh russell styled blades to use as a hunting knife.

the original handle design is about perfect for the leaf shaped blade.

if you have smaller hands the bird and trout work great for small game but lose something in the translation when moving up to something even coyote size.

the boat knife's handle is more comfortable if you have medium to large hands.

what makes the knife work as a hunting knife is the blade shape, it has a good point and enough belly to skin with.

i have 5 or 6 of them and the original is the one i use most, the boat knife is my second choice.

they are all good.

have fun.

leon-1

Anybody know if you can still get the kit's ?

Yes you can still get the kits, but the UK importer doesn't really exist as such now. The current price list from Grohmann is this for the kits;

Grohmann said:
YOU-MAKE-IT KIT KNIVES ("U" = UNASSEMBLED) [More rosewood/stainless models avail. By request]

Original Design, regular open sheath UR1S $65.75
Trout & Bird, regular open sheath UR2S $61.50
Boat Knife, regular open sheath UR3S $66.50
Survival Knife, regular button tab sheath UR4S $85.75
Original Design/Flat Grind, regular open sheath UR1SF $65.75
Trout & Bird Model /Flat Grind, regular open sheath UR2SF $61.50
Boat/Outdoor Model/Flat Grind, regular open sheath UR3SF $66.50
Survival Knife /Flat Grind, regular open sheath UR4SF $85.75

I spoke to them earlier in the year about possibly buying directly from them. So the above are the prices before shipping and import duty and no group buy discount.

They don't really look at discounts until you go beyond the 15 knives or so. They also will not ship until all the funds have been secured and have cleared at their end.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I have had a boat knife with the covered sheath for at least 20 years and until recently it was the only fixed blade knife I used in the wilderness. Very good knife design. The weight is 4 ounces for the knife and just over 6 ounces for knife and sheath.
I have in the last few years gotten more attached to the Scandi grind blades and now only use a Scandi bladed knife. I would love for someone to make up a boat knife with a Scandi ground D2 blade!
Anyway, try the boat knife, you will be pleased I think.

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
Look
I have had a boat knife with the covered sheath for at least 20 years and until recently it was the only fixed blade knife I used in the wilderness. Very good knife design. The weight is 4 ounces for the knife and just over 6 ounces for knife and sheath.
I have in the last few years gotten more attached to the Scandi grind blades and now only use a Scandi bladed knife. I would love for someone to make up a boat knife with a Scandi ground D2 blade!
Anyway, try the boat knife, you will be pleased I think.

Look at the Knives of Alaska Yukon.An excellent knife ( I have one).
Just what the doctor ordered. Bowback Canadian skinner in D2. Holds an edge like there's no tomorrow. And yes, a scandi grind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE