Grease Lamps - from a silverware serving spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I had to make up some historical replicas of early grease lamps. And part of the discussion of them concerned making a simple version from a kitchen silverware serving spoon. So today I did some ... tinkering.

Several people had doubts about using a kitchen serving spoon as a grease lamp. Well, today we had a little break in the cold weather, and I had some forging projects to catch up on. So I dug through my "junker" silverware box and came up with a half dozen serving spoons to play with. I hammer shaped several - to narrow out the "spout" end. But I also just took one as-is and just bent the handle up in a gentle arc to hang it. I did drill a hole through the end, put a twisted wire loop in it, and then hung it in my kitchen using some hemp twine. I hung it over my sink to catch "drips", and also hung one with a necked in spout next to it by a simple hemp twine. I then raided the (new) mop for some wick material, and used Crisco veg oil (I cleaned out the bacon grease drippings can last week). So the test was on. It took a full stick match to get each one lit - to heat up the oil enough to start vaporizing on the end of the wick. I did have a few ... drips. But the sink caught those. With each "bowl" of the spoon 3/4 full of veg oil, they both burned around 20 to 25 minutes with a light similar to a candle. I just topped both up without putting the flame out. But I did have to adjust the wick in one - pull a bit more up. The wick only burns above the oil level.

Simple observation: The regular unmodified spoon bowl worked as well as the one I modified by necking it down and pointing it.

So the only thing necessary for you to make your own grease lamp from a serving spoon is to gently curve that handle up and back over the bowl of the spoon. Then figure out how you want to hang it - either with a simple leather/hemp cord tied around it, or with a hole drilled/punched through and a wire loop in place. After you have your tie point established, then you can ... tweak ... the curve in the handle until the spoon bowl hangs level.

Here are a few (poor) pics of the grease lamps in use. (My digital camera is a junker "snapshot" one)

GreaseLamps1.jpg

GreaseLamps2.jpg

GreaseLamps3.jpg

So a full forged grease lamp is nice, but you can make your own from a kitchen serving spoon. Just check the shape/style of it against the known patterns of silverware for your time period. A surprising number of those old patterns are still available.

I've got some documentation for these spoon conversions to use as a grease lamp here somewhere in these stacks of books. It's for the mid to late 1700's - possibly back into the 1600's I'll see if I can find it in whatever book I saw it in.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

And I disavow any knowledge or accountability if you get caught raiding the good silverware for this project. I was lucky to have a pretty good box full of "junker" silverware to dig through. The ... good stuff ... never got touched!!!! (and I get to live through another night)

Now that I've finally let them go out, cool off, and wiped the oil off, here's a pic (from my scanner) of the two grease lamps. It shows a bit more of the ... details.

The unmodified spoon bowl one is on the left - with the wire loop in the handle. That hole with wire loop is nice, because you can swivel the whole thing around as needed when hanging it up. I need to "trim/file" the top edges on the other one flush - to remove those little lumps sticking up along the top edges. They are from necking in the "point" of the spoon. It is not really necessary, but does make it look better.

GreaseLamps6.jpg

Fun project. But haven't had the chance yet to dig for the documentation.

p.s. Warning!!! You personally will have to deal with the consequences of raiding the silverware drawer in the kitchen! SWMBO may take exception to serving spoons being ... appropriated ... for such projects!

Historical note: A grease lamp burns left over cooking grease. So you can use your bacon grease for light. The heat from the burning wick heats up the spoon bowl and the grease to keep it liquid enough to flow up the wick - where it vaporizes to feed the flame. In days past, this gave you a light source at night - instead of burning a candle. And it saved you the effort of taking that cooking grease and making it up into tallow candles. The light is pretty similar to that of a candle, but it does require more attention to the wick and the grease level. And it can smoke a bit more than a candle, and they can drip "oil" from underneath. Some of the liquid can flow over the edge a little by the wick. Plus, if you are using bacon grease in your grease lamp, it also then smells like you are frying bacon. But the flame is just as susceptible to breezes/drafts as on a candle. It still gives off a pretty ... satisfying ... light - very similar to a candle.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Wow Mike. It's stuff like this I find fascinating, I adore all of the old school ways of doing stuff and these are amazing, I have visions of a lot being welded together, and becoming a lamp sculpture that's practical!
I'm going to search through the local charity shops for some nice and big silver servind spoon and make on of these :)
Thank you!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Nice idea.:D

We use oil lamps a lot in our living history work and to light them I usually take a spare bit of wick dipped in oil and light that in the edge of the fire.

The oil on the wick then burns hot enough to light the other wicks with ease. Just a tip I picked up along the way.

Gailainne

Life Member
That is really impressive, especially the time.

It wouldnt take much to improve the light by adding some foil as a reflector.

There was a thread earlier using a couple of beer cans to create an oil lantern, which works surprisingly well, your is much more elegant.

Regards

Stephen

Teno

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2007
Argentina
Love them! I have a LOT of old spoons... Maybe I will make some to put some tea clandles and make some xmas gifts...

Marcelo, from Argentina

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
A few additional thoughts to share - based on a few questions received.

Pewter spoons would work, but you are also getting close to the melting temps of pewter with that flame on the wick. It still should be OK, but is it worth the risk?

No problems with silver/brass/iron spoons. The temps from that one (or possibly two) candle-power flame won't get hot enough to distort them. And the plated spoons should be OK as well. Yes, a lot of 1900's "silverware" was actually brass with a silver plating - or nickel. But the temps in use just won't get hot enough to bother them.

The one key point to remember is don't get too large with a spoon. (Like an institutional lunch line serving spoon.) The heat from the flame needs to heat up the spoon itself, and that then helps keep the grease melted/liquid enough to flow up the wick. So if your grease lamp bowl/resevoir gets too large, you won't get enough heat migrating from the flame to keep your bacon grease melted. This is something of a problem with the square 4-wick tavern/inn grease lamps. You usually have to burn 2 or more of the wicks at any one time to keep the grease melted enough. But those were designed to be run with all 4 wicks burning anyway - to light the tavern/inn.

Of course, if you are using already liquid veg oil or olive oil, then you don't need to keep it melted. Just a little warm to flow better up the wick. Cooking grease just tends to solidify faster as it cools.

There are examples of olive oil lamps that go all the way back to pre-Roman eras B.C. But olive oil is just naturally liquid to begin with. Plus, it is more volatile anyway. So those old olive oil lamps tended to be more like a Betty Lamp - with a wick coming up a tube/cylinder from a closed resevoir. And you had to be even more careful with Whale Oil. It is a whole lot more volatile/flamible. Those lamps had a completely closed resevoir with a wick coming up through a tube/cylinder to where it would burn. Whale oil works a lot like kerosene.

A World Lit Only By Fire - it was an interesting time (and also a pretty interesting book as well)

p.s. From the little experiment I did, I would not bother trying to neck in the point on your serving spoon. The regular one worked just as good as the modified on. So just make a hole through the handle for a wire loop swivel, and then bend the handle into that 1/2 circle. Then tweak the bend until the bowl hangs level.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I did a little ... tinkering ... out in the forge today. Temps were in the upper 30's(F), so I tried to get some work done before the COLD gets here. Just before dark the temps dropped 20 degrees in a half hour! My "shop" is fairly open-air (a couple tin roofing sheets with tarps coming partways down the sides), and no heat other than the forge. So work when it's COLD usually requires insulated coveralls and pack boots! So I did some ... catch up ... projects while it was relatively nice out.

Well, I also forged up three regular grease lamps with spike hangers. Here's a pic (scan) of them.

GreaseLamps7.jpg

Basically you are forging up a big pointed leaf with a long thin stem. Then you hammer that leaf down into a hollow to form it into that "spoon" shape, and bend/curl the stem up to hang it. And the spike hangers are a classic design - kind of like a fire poker with point and hook. In use, you either poke the point into a wood beam or chink in a rock, or you hang the hook up over the edge of a shelf/mantel/nail. If I had just flattened out the stem end and punched a hole through, I could them have put the wire loop connector through and had a swivel connection. (just another variation)

Fun projects. And now the temps are creeping into the teens, with -4 (F) predicted for a low overnight. From melting snow to frozen solid in half a day. Rah rah, winter weather! At least we didn't get freezing rain with downed power lines like some places. Now to see how much of the rest of the blizzard crosses over from the Great Plains to here.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
They look lovely, so simple.

I use a grease dish and wick to make brews on the allotment. It is pretty dangerous as water on hot oil makes a fireball, but it kicks out some heat, it is free fuel. In an attempt to find ways of making safer a oil stove I found this ; http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oilburners01.html
No use to me, but it is pretty intresting use of waste oil, he upgrades to waste motor oil to smelt iron.

The only problem I have with waste greese/oil is that smell makes me crave fried food.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Nice work Mike. Thanks for the added information, historical and fuel types. I have seen the clay type olive oil lamps used in Crete both in houses and roadside memorials.
It is also interesting that whale oil is quite volatile seeing as it would have been rendered down on board wooden ships, making life a bit "exciting" for the crew!
Regards, Fraxinus.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those are really neat :approve: I can see a whole rash of these appearing from charity and pound shop store bargains :D

We call that style a crusie lamp. They were widely used to burn whale oil, but any fat would do.
There's an illustration of a double one, that catches and then uses the drips from the wick, on this page.

http://www.ramshornstudio.com/early_lighting_4.htm

I know an experimental archaaeologist who tried every type of fat and wax he could get hold of for making light. He reckoned that the best was mutton suet. It smells like beeswax as it burns and is much cheaper :)

cheers,
Toddy

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Fantastic!
Inventive, resourceful cheap and recylcing! That what real bushcraft means to me.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
We used to use them at a Living History site I worked at. IIRC they are called Betty lamps.
As stated they work with just about any grease and give off a pretty good light for their size.
We used whatever we could get from the kitchen as fuel and made wicks from cotton string.
Have also used a shallow dish with grease and a wick for a lamp.
Jon R.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
There is a movie filmed up in Canada about the Innuit/Eskimo people called The Fast Runner. It is one of their stories/legends. When they made the movie, they used only Innuit actors, and spoke their own language. (Yes it is subtitled in English) In it they show igloo living - including seal oil/fat lamps and stoves. They basically had a stone bowl with seal oil/fat in it, and used some seaweed along the edge for a wick. For heat and cooking, they pulled more seaweed up along the edge to burn. It was a very good representation of their use, and the Innuit culture of old in action.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Slightly off topic but relevant.

Autopsies of Inuit mummies, specifically women, showed the classic black lungs of those who lived and worked indoors in lamp lit environments. That burning fat gives off lung clogging smoke :(

One of my neighbours is a painter and decorator, he says that the modern fad for candles creates smoked up walls and ceilings and is a nightmare to clean and paint over.

Such a quietly pleasing thing though, a small living flame :) and Mike your work is beautiful :D

cheers,
Toddy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
There is a movie filmed up in Canada about the Innuit/Eskimo people called The Fast Runner. It is one of their stories/legends. When they made the movie, they used only Innuit actors, and spoke their own language. (Yes it is subtitled in English) In it they show igloo living - including seal oil/fat lamps and stoves. They basically had a stone bowl with seal oil/fat in it, and used some seaweed along the edge for a wick. For heat and cooking, they pulled more seaweed up along the edge to burn. It was a very good representation of their use, and the Innuit culture of old in action.

In one of Ray Mears programmes, he's on the ice with a iniut hunter family and the igloo is lit and heated with a Qulliq/ kudlik (koo-di-lic) In the film the qulliq is made from metal, but from what is said they were traditionally made of stone, the fuel is pounded blubber, and the wick is made from dried lichen. It was the only source of heat, other than a blubber oil lamp, and kept the tempture of the Igloo hovering arounf the zero degrees mark, which is not bad as it was 30 below outside

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
And this is what happens when you stop by a buddy's shop to show him the grease lamps. He does Brit Navy living history reenacting around the Great Lakes.

Well, he really liked them, and absconded with the one spoon grease lamp. But he also just couldn't control himself, so one forged grease lamp ended up with some of that ... sailor graffiti ... on the handle!

GreaseLamps8.jpg

Two Turks Head knots and some needle hitching. Sailor Graffiti!

-- who spent a few hours today ... building snow forts! (Also called shoveling 4 to 5 inches of snow out of the driveway/yard -- but it sounds more interesting/fun the other way! Temps in the single digits (F) today, -12 (F) last night while it was snowing! Similar temps tonight, and another storm is headed this way for Thursday evening - 6 to 10 inches of snow predicted!

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
In one of Ray Mears programmes, he's on the ice with a iniut hunter family and the igloo is lit and heated with a Qulliq/ kudlik (koo-di-lic) In the film the qulliq is made from metal, but from what is said they were traditionally made of stone, the fuel is pounded blubber, and the wick is made from dried lichen. It was the only source of heat, other than a blubber oil lamp, and kept the tempture of the Igloo hovering arounf the zero degrees mark, which is not bad as it was 30 below outside

Once you are in an igloo or snow cave, it is surprising just how well it can insulate you from the outside air. So it does not take much to them keep the temps up near or above freezing. The inside does tend to melt a bit and ice over. But that helps seal it up. Just be sure to have some air holes for ventilation. And once you are more ... acclimated ... to those cold outside temps, the inside of an igloo feels quite warm! With a couple people inside, the temps won't get much below freezing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE