Gransfors in short supply?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sounds a bit sulky to me - if they have a problem with the quality of the axes, they need to say what that problem is. If their problem is simply a supply chain issue, well, thats not something to involve your customers in.

There are plenty of other stores and plenty of other axes just as good if not better.

All a bit childish really.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Sounds like a supply chain issue to me. I guess the Bushcraft Store felt they had to put something on their site, because it's a fairly safe bet that people would wonder why one of the premier "bushcraft" dealers isn't stocking one of the most iconic brands.

As you say though, there are plenty of other axes out there, and they all cut wood!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I saw that the other day, I was hunting for a GB Wildlife link to send the wife for my birthday pressy. There's a quite a few places showing the Wildlife out of stock but plenty of others with it in.

I can't say I've ever bought anything from the shop in the OP so not sure of the history behind the toys out of the pram

Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
What??? That's just ridiculous!!!! They should actually state what their problem is! They should still sell them anyway. I think this will make them lose customers. I am a big supporter of the bushcraft store and it is my go to shop for any kit, but I have to admit that that was a bad decision.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Sounds a bit sulky to me - if they have a problem with the quality of the axes, they need to say what that problem is. If their problem is simply a supply chain issue, well, thats not something to involve your customers in.

There are plenty of other stores and plenty of other axes just as good if not better.

I'm guessing if you can't get them into stock, then your customers are already involved.

Usually when I go to woodlore looking at a Wildenerss Axe that is out of stock.

Then there's this...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124133

and that doesn't sound like it is down to Woodlore.

don't gransfors and wetterlings have the same owner?

I think the guy that owned Gransfors sold it to his sons to retire. Then got bored and bought Wetterlings.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hmmm.

In the words of Rob Beschizza...

"What's the right latitude to grow sour grapes?"

:)

I didn't know there was a relationship with Wetterlings but one of their sister companies is Woolpower the producers of my favourite wooly clothing.

You can watch a video where the man who was/is the CEO of Gransfors talk about the company and some of the changes he made to it here.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

It is, indeed, a flounce.

However, Gransfors ought to be concerned about their customer service if it's provoking such a public reaction. Their products have no Google history from before Ray Mears came along and endorsed them as "the axe for bushcraft". There's nothing at all. I daresay the forges were burning and axes were being produced, but they weren't in the public eye.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm guessing if you can't get them into stock, then your customers are already involved.

Not at all.

How many times have you been to Tesco and seen a sign over the beans saying "we won't stock Heinz anymore because they wont give us preferential treatment"?

Now, I can tell you that Tesco, B&Q, Argos and others fall out with their suppliers. I can tell you this from experience. They just choose not to have a hissy fit in public.

Alternatively, is it possible to develop a personal relationship with a master axe smith and offer an exclusive product to the UK market?

I can also say that yes, it is. I have sold loads of Cegga axes designed by me, on this very forum.

Its a tantrum. No more, no less.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Not at all.

How many times have you been to Tesco and seen a sign over the beans saying "we won't stock Heinz anymore because they wont give us preferential treatment"?

Now, I can tell you that Tesco, B&Q, Argos and others fall out with their suppliers. I can tell you this from experience. They just choose not to have a hissy fit in public.

Alternatively, is it possible to develop a personal relationship with a master axe smith and offer an exclusive product to the UK market?

I can also say that yes, it is. I have sold loads of Cegga axes designed by me, on this very forum.

Its a tantrum. No more, no less.
I agree. It's put me off with dealing with the company, if they can't hold it together professionally why would I want to risk a deal with them...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm just a short walk from the Weald and Downland museum, I know a few staff there. They stock GB axes, I'll ask if they've had any problems.

In the meantime I suspect The Bushcraft Store will probably remove the message. I can see how it's appeared in the heat of the moment, but it doesn't do them any favours. Always been an excellent company to deal with IMO.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Not at all.

About as many times as I've been into a supermarket and they've not had new stock of an item for 6 months?

It's unthinkable.

But we are talking about a very different set-up.

It's not like an Axe manufacturer, of quality, can just ramp up production to meet demand and maintain that quality.

If there's an increase in demand there will be shortage. Deciding not to sell something and explaining why in that situation is at least partially practical. Who'd want to spend time putting effort into something you don't get anything out of. And yes you might have to be a bit hissed off to reach that decision given the "Industry Standard" is Gransfors.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/home/the-history-of-the-company/

http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/production/forging/

Relevant comment Swallow. Small scale production gives us a good quality, niche product. If that niche opens, then I can see problems with increasing production. However, from the comment on the Bushcraft Store, I think that promises have been broken. They shouldn't be using the internet to elbow in and have a public whine, they should just remove the product and vent behind closed doors.

I see this all the time when makers are pushed to exceed their capabilities.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's not like an Axe manufacturer, of quality, can just ramp up production to meet demand and maintain that quality.

Exactly. And I'm sure they have far more important stores to look after. Woodlore for example. The store associated with the guy who made them famous, popularised the term "bushcraft" and educated the public about axe craft. Not some random "me too" web shop who has done nothing at all for the hobby beyond make a profit from it.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
They are often out of stock on Ray's website too, but I'm sure you won't see him whinging. I'd be disappointed if the quality started to drop to meet demand. At the end of the day, if you want something done right, you often have to wait for it. I'm happy enough to do that and, in fact, waited a few weeks for wildlife hatchets to come in when I bought mine.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Exactly. And I'm sure they have far more important stores to look after. Not some random "me too" web shop who has done nothing at all for the hobby beyond make a profit from it.

Bit harsh Red, they've been stocking good products and providing a very good service for a few years now. Now you're starting to sound "a bit sulky".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE