Gransfors in short supply?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bit harsh Red, they've been stocking good products and providing a very good service for a few years now. Now you're starting to sound "a bit sulky".

They stock those products and provide that service because its their job. They do it to make a profit, not because its a fun or informative thing to do. That makes them no better, and no worse, than Asda.

I haven't noticed them providing lots of content to this site on bushcraft techniques, or making videos on firecraft, or writing books on shelter building have you? Have they contributed anything to the hobby beyond selling things for profit?

My sympathies here are with Gransfors who manufacture a handmade product - not the best one, but a good one. Whinging that they can't make them fast enough to make a retailer more money? Very poor show in my book.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
There are plenty of other stores and plenty of other axes just as good if not better.

What axes would you say are as good or better? I'm on the hunt for a new axe and I might go for wetterlings just to break the trend a little.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wetterlings make a very good axe, as do Hultafors (Hults Bruks - Cegga's company), Snow and Nealley are excellent if you can find one, Lee Reeves is superb as is Goran Enocksson. Shall I go on? :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
any announcement that add's "this is not sour grapes" at the end is usually pretty well guaranteed to be just that lol

If that were my company I'd feel more than a little bit silly putting such an announcement on what is effectively my shop floor
I bet it don't stay on there very long

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Seems like gb gave them the runaround and delayed orders for too long, that website tried to sort it out got a little butt hurt in the mean time and decided they'd pull the plug.

Nothing new and doesnt imply a shortage or fault. Just two businesses not seeing eye to eye.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
What axes would you say are as good or better? I'm on the hunt for a new axe and I might go for wetterlings just to break the trend a little.

The Wetterlings Bushmans axe is an impressive bit of kit, slightly longer handle than the SFA, slightly heavier I think, a bit broader so makes a decent small splitter, and the head design allows you to choke right up for finer work when needed, feels great in the hand.

The Bushcraft Store do them I think, although when I rang up because the discount code wouldn't work online, he said they didn't give a BCUK discount any more and didn't really seem interested in my business, so I went elsewhere for it, think it may have been the Woodsmiths Store, and if I recall was a few quid less including the postage.

I think it's really unprofessional to post a comment like that on their website, makes themselves look bad imho.

Cheers, Paul
Cheers, Paul

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Wetterlings make a very good axe, as do Hultafors (Hults Bruks - Cegga's company), Snow and Nealley are excellent if you can find one, Lee Reeves is superb as is Goran Enocksson. Shall I go on? :)

Please do go on. The only other ones I know are John Neemam & Dave Budd.

I was also looking at Cegga after your previous post and saw some interesting stuff, but I got a bit hazy on how Cegga operates these days.

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
I recently purchased a SFA from Woodlore simply because I couldn't find it anywhere else in stock. It is, or was, £9 cheaper at the Bushcraft Store and that was where I intended to buy it from. I'm not fussed about having Ray Mear's name on my axe to be honest but was on a trip that week and really wanted to take it with me to try out.

In my humble opinion their published comment on their website is petty and highly unprofessional. It doesn't portray them in any good light, at least to me anyway.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Please do go on. The only other ones I know are John Neemam & Dave Budd.

Well, as you say those are two more

Don't disregard the quality American factories - Kelly, Plumb and the like, they make some superb axes and my 28" cruiser axe is every bit as good as a Scandinavian Forest Axe and much the same length and weight.

The council tool Hudsons bay is a classic design

http://thewoodslife.com/?p=1339

The Vaughan mini hatchet is the stuff of legend - although I am led to believe the newer ones aren't as well made.

Now here is a wild card - what about a New Zealand firm ?

Not tried them but would really like to....

http://www.tuatahiaxes.com/workaxes.html

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
I've heard That Gransfors have pulled the plug on supplying some UK companies for their own reasons. The Bushcraft store must be one of them. I don't think it has anything to do with supply or quality.
Roger

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well, as you say those are two more

Don't disregard the quality American factories - Kelly, Plumb and the like, they make some superb axes.....

Unfortunately Plumb hasn't made axes in quite a long time. And the latest owner of Kelly (since True Temper sold them in 1987 after owning them since 1930) is Barco Industries.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I haven't noticed them providing lots of content to this site on bushcraft techniques, or making videos on firecraft, or writing books on shelter building have you? Have they contributed anything to the hobby beyond selling things for profit?

Can't disagree with that ;)

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I'm deeply unimpressed by the Bushcraft Store's public tantrum. Whatever their dispute with Gransfors, publishing that sort of rant shows them up as being unprofessional and not someone I want to deal with again. They are also potentially laying themselves open to legal action by Gransfors. Sorry, Bushcraftstore, you have lost my custom.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE