Gransfors Bruks warranty?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
Has anyone had cause to deal with GB warranty claims?

I ask because this happened just now whilst splitting seasoned wood for kindling:-

IMG_20141227_131140.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have always thought there was the tiniest of hairlines near the cutting edge and maybe I was right?

Wood was nicely straight grained and knot free for easy splitting (or so I thought!!)

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The retailer you bought it from should be your first call Toots, you contract is with them.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Send an email with attached pictures to their customer services explaining that you can't remember where you purchased it from and they'll hopefully sort things out in your favour.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Good luck, my mate has one that chipped and rolled beyond belief the first time snedding branches, their customer services didn't want to know nor did the retailer. It was light use it's first time out that caused failure, it seemed as though the temper hadn't taken it back enough causing a very brittle edge.

If you get anywhere with it let us know, might be worth another try if they realise they have the occasional one that leaves the factory too high on the hardness scale. I'm guessing with an axe or hatchet there are no end of complaints from people after they drive them into concrete splitting wood but this was legitimate use it's first time out and encountered no rocks or ground at any stage. Good luck on your quest!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Be very interested to see the outcome of this one. Seems like fair use on your part, forging/manufacturing defect on theirs but you never know!

It's definitely a defect, a GB should last a lifetime, several in fact. I'm not liking what I've read about GB recently.

Before Ray Mears brought the brand to the fore as his axe of choice, there's nothing at all about them on the internet. Well, nothing I've managed to find. It suggests they don't have the history of quality we've assumed.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I had the edge flake on my Woodlore Outdoors Axe at Bushmoot a couple years ago. It's a problem I've seen in other carbon blades.

I actually bought a replacement from Woodlore but when I read the warranty details that came with I contacted GB direct, who were happy to help but suggested I returned the original via the retailer to save me postage.

Being a branded Woodlore Axe in the first place and doubting they had carried the line for 25 years, I returned both to Woodlore even though I no longer had a receipt.

Took a while to get stock in but I received a replacement axe no trouble. Communication was good throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I need to point out my post wasn't very clever in the fact that my mate's axe was a Hultafors Bruks, not a Gransfors. My bad for not reading properly, sorry for any confusion or defamation towards Gransfors!

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
So, just got an email from Frederika at Gransfors Bruks saying if I am unable to contact the retailer (which i cant remember!!) then return it to them directly. Cost of posting it to sweden should dwarf the cost of me having to fork out for a new one.

Fingers crossed.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
So, just got an email from Frederika at Gransfors Bruks saying if I am unable to contact the retailer (which i cant remember!!) then return it to them directly. Cost of posting it to sweden should dwarf the cost of me having to fork out for a new one.

Fingers crossed.

The company should pay your postage costs, they're not doing you a favour but fulfilling an obligation, and you shouldn't be out of pocket because of a faulty item.

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
I need to point out my post wasn't very clever in the fact that my mate's axe was a Hultafors Bruks, not a Gransfors.
My bad for not reading properly, sorry for any confusion or defamation towards Gransfors!

You need to get a mod to change the thread title and possibly remove the angry smiley.
As it it now, it is acctually misleading and possibly quite offensive.

If you're going to criticise a manufacturer on a public forum you need to get it right
which one you're talking about.

Just a thought...

:)

ganstey

Settler
A couple of years ago I had a very small piece break out of the cutting edge of my GB SFA. I took some pictures and contacted them (I bought it from a wood fair and didn't have contact details for the seller). Very quickly I got a reply saying that it looked like a manufacturing fault and they would send a replacement... which arrived direct from Sweden a few days later. I asked them what to do with the old one. They said to try grinding it back with an angle grinder, and if that failed take it to a scrap metal dealer. In fact I still have it as the defect doesn't affect most tasks such as chopping/splitting, and it means I can keep the replacement razor sharp for carving and similar.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE