Gränsfors Bruk Outdoor Axe opinions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

veqtor

Oct 24, 2014
Sweden
In a Swedish bushcraft book, 'Skogsliv', by Lars Fält he recommends an axe weight of around 0,5 kg, no wonder since his GB axe is just that. So, anyone tried the outdoor axe? How does it compare to their other models?

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I like mine a lot: usual Gransfors quality, very light & packable, can be used to split good size rounds, holds an excellent edge.

The width of the blade is a bit less then the Wildlife Hatchet but I've not found it an issue for small carving projects.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Had one, sold it

Just not enough axe for me. Plus I found the round straight haft just felt wrong
Yes it punches above its weight....but It don't weigh much :D

A good size axe for when you don't really need an axe but want to use one anyway
IMO a wildlife hatchet is a far better buy in that size range.....unless you actually need to chop some wood up.
Then its SFA and above IMHO

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's much smaller in the flesh than I ever imagined, still a nice looking tool which I'll have to add to the collection one day

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Husky hatchet for me for small stuff and wetterlings bushman for bigger stuff, and proper large splitter for serious firewood processing. The bushman is a slightly longer handle than the SFA and slightly broader head I think so a decent splitter but the head design also allows you to choke right up if you want to do some finer work with it, great piece of kit :)

Cheers, Paul

veqtor

Oct 24, 2014
Sweden
I am looking to chop some wood with it so I'm wondering if half the weight will be worth it over the sfa. Guess I'll just have to pick it up and sell it if I find it to be too much fiddly for my intended use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE