GPS tracker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I notice from some of the trip reports that a few people on here have GPS trackers that allow them to record a trace of the route they've taken.

I've been using viewranger on my phone, and my garmin eTrex for this, but am being limited a lot by the battery life. What GPS tracking devices are people using?

Ideally I would like something I can just stick on my backpack strap, turn on in the morning, turn off in the evening, and when I get home plug into the laptop. Battery life and ability to get a GPX file out of it are the main features I need.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Julia

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
The cheapest way to track your routes is with a GPS plus a pocket full of batteries. Some of us who trek alone carry a Spot PLB, these cost about £100 but have an annual fee of £100 for the basic emergency service and an extra £40 for the live tracking function.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
^^+1 for what he says.

A garmin etrex will do that, switch it to battery saver mode and a pair of 2900amh batts will easily last 2 days.

The old etrexs are tricky to up/download if you only have usb on your pc, you need a usb/ r232 converter and drivers. The etrex 10 20 or 30 come with usb leads and will get your gpx via garmin connect or directly using its internal storage from your pc.

Have fun.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
I'd get an specific GPS. Batteries that are easy to replace, less delicate than a smartphone and cheaper to replace should the worse happen.

Sent from my  iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Garmin Etrex 20 used here, waterproof, does the job.
Can also load tracks direct onto Google Earth then make pics for posts like this one of last weeks kayak trip:

Reculver%2520to%2520Tankerton%2520Route.jpg

You can get free to use maps from talkytoaster website to improve on the basemap the unit comes with. IMHO well worth the 130 quid I paid for it.

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE