GPS to be jammed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Better break out your road and OS maps guys :)

As the title says the GPS signal in Scotland is going to be jammed by NATO for a couple weeks during the Joint Warrior war games from 5th to 15th October.

More info here

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cant follow the link on my phone, surely it'll only be civilian units? A lot of the emergengy, aviation and buisiness users would be in real trouble if they switched it off carte blanche?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
From the article...

Jamming during Joint Warrior in October 2011 was suspended after complaints from Western Isles fishermen.

And...

Ofcom said signals would not be jammed if GPS was required by the emergency services.

So it sounds like a general jamming will be going ahead

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Mad i have never had any warnings from Garmin about it, i'll read the link after i've had my cuppa, slightly jetlagged here

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
does it mention Glonass satellites? These are the Russian version of the gps system which adds an extra 29 satellites to your gps coverage

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Right i've had my first cuppa i'm following links for a read, thanks for the headsup

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Glad you got back okay Bod.

They can't switch it off completely can they? I mean surely there is a way of them conducting it without effecting everyone?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
It looks like they just use 3 localised jammers in the areas of the events according to the report

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
By the locations, guessing the jammers are onboard ships. ~60 miles between them.

Wonder if they're testing eLoran, the GPS backup system. Though the eLoran transmitters are on the east coast, and the jammers on the west.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Weird, there was a strange looking plane flying over Wales today as well... looked like a jumbo jet that had been vertically stretched... almost cartoonishly stretched.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There was an odd looking plane flying due north the other evening. Odd to see a plane of that size heading in that direction this far north.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE