GPS Repair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
My Magellan Meridian Gold has given up the ghost, it wont power up.

Is it worth repairing or will it end up costing more than a new one? To be fair I don't use it a great deal so a cheap one would suffice as a replacement.

Can anyone recommend a company that will repair it.

Thanks for any help.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Thanks for your reply Nick

I havent actually emailed Magellan because their web site appears to be US based, they do give a dealer location search which lists the UK dealers such as Field n Trek, whom presumably would send it on for a fee.

Cant get the first link to work unfortunatley, I had come accross the second but wasn't sure about it as a repair company.
Just wondered if anyone knew a repair firm who would take a look for a small charge and then give a price on the job.

Again thanks for you time Nick :You_Rock_

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
My Magellan Meridian Gold has given up the ghost, it wont power up.

Is it worth repairing or will it end up costing more than a new one? To be fair I don't use it a great deal so a cheap one would suffice as a replacement.

Can anyone recommend a company that will repair it.

Thanks for any help.

Depends whats wrong with it..:

Check for dead battieries ?
Check for dry solder joints ?

If it goes further than this take it to a electronic repair shop ask then to give it the once over, if its the surface mounted stuff might be hard to get it fixed!!

Good luck

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Depends whats wrong with it..:

Check for dead battieries ?
Check for dry solder joints ?

If it goes further than this take it to a electronic repair shop ask then to give it the once over, if its the surface mounted stuff might be hard to get it fixed!!

Good luck

Checked the batteries and tried several new sets with no avail. Wouldn't know where to start after that looking inside, but the electronic repair shops worth a first port of call.

Thanks for the suggestion Squantrill :)

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
"Have you tried a power up with the memory card removed?"

The model I've got hasn't got an externerly removable memory card Rik, is there one inside I could take out ?

"Did you use it in cold weather then warmer weather ? May have been too humid for it.You could take the cover off and dry it out for few days."

It has only started in the cold weather and thinking back it came to life in the car a couple of weeks ago but not for long, but in the open air it,s dead as a dodo.

Cheers Rich

sorry to hijack this thread, my magellen works but when ever i turn it off it looses all the proggrammed data, i contacted magellen they said the internal battery was dead, and to put fresh batteries in it and leave it on for 24 hrs, done this and nothing apart from more dead batteries, still works but if i turn it off it looses all its info, any idea's

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE