GPS at a good price

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Excellent price ... it's hard (if not impossible) to beat globalpositioningsystems.co.uk on price or speed of delivery ... never had a problem with them (and I've bought a lot from them!) so I've no idea what their after-care service is like personally but I've heard many a good tale about them from others.
The yellow eTrex is a good tool for the beginner ... all that it lacks is a PC data cable and port ... so you can't interface it to your PC. If you want that function you'd need the next one up -
eTrex Venture:
http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?product_id=2&category_id=57

or the Geko 201:
http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?product_id=249&category_id=57

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Adi, I've looked through that site and what comes up a lot is a criticism of the garmin units under tree cover. Many people say they loose the signal very easily - are there units that are better at this? Also, what's your take on the basemap versions - I mean are there any with decent off-raod mapping abilities?

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Basically, tree cover issues is a major problem no matter whether you use a Garmin, Magellan, Cobra or Silva unit. The reason for this is that chlorophyll in the leaves on trees absorb the microwave frequency of the GPS signal. The GPS sats broadcast at two frequencies (L1=1575.42 MHz and L2=1227.6 MHz) with civvy units being able to pick up L1 and military units picking up both (allowing them to use dual freq error correction). The L2 signal is a little better in tree cover than the L1 but only marginally.

Let me give you some background ... the Garmin/Magellan thing is like the PC/Mac thing or Windows/Linux thing. If youare a new time buyer I wouldn't buy into that ...

Sales seem to indicate that Garmin units outsell Magellan about 9 to 1 and I don't think that this is an accident. Personally I've had several Garmin units and they have been great and the customer service (in Hampshire) is excellent. I've had units repaired free of charge that were well outside the warranty period. i can't report the same excellent level of product quality or support from Magellan.

So, beyond that, it's down to the antenna and loaded software. Some say that the antenna known as the quad helix (which Magellan primarily used but they are now shifting) is better under tree cover than the patch antenna of the eTrex. I have units using both types on antenna and I'm convinced that the apparent better signal lock of the Magellan is more to do with the software pretending that the lock is still in place when in fact it has been lost than an antenna performance issue. Experiments seems to show that this might be the case. You also need to hold the units right ... the patch antenna units (like eTrex) prefer being horizontal while the quad helix uniuts prefer to be held vertically for the best signal.

To get the best signal under a lot of trees I normally use a re-radiating antenna ... I put the pickup antenna high up on my backpack and keep the re-radiator antenna near the unit. You do need to carry a small 12v battery but it works and works well.

Basemaps aren't too bad but they aren't great either. You can splash out on extra maps but if you really are serious and want the best, I'd suggest getting a Pocket PC and hook up the GPS to it and getting Memory Map ... that way you get real time plotting on an actual OS map. This is by far the best combo and you can work with 1:250000 for driving and 1:50000 or 1:25000 for greater accuracy. This is the mutts whatisnames combo in sat nav and mapping when not in built-up areas!

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
a1goods.co.uk is selling the yellow Garmin GPS units for £79 and he does the data cable for a little extra but no extra postage.

I am tempted as he is near me and I could collect but he says that you can connect the GPS to a computer and Adi says not. Also I am a complete novice as far as these go so do not know if I need to connect. I would be using it mainly for hillwalking and maybe trying Geocaching but not for route planning as I have a car set up.

Can the yellow unit give OS map coordinates. And is there a way of planning a route on a mapping software (hill walking) and transferring it to the GPS?

Sorry for all the questions but like I say I am new to this area.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I stand corrected ... the new eTrex Yellow DOES come with a PC link ... the early ones did not and I don't think that the Camo one does. It used to be the major limiter to the device. Even www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk describes it as having:

"A PC link allows limited transfer of information to and from the GPS unit."

A manual is available from:

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/download.php?manual_id=1

Yes, pretty much all units (all Magellan and Garmin units) do OS Grid ... just remember to check that the map datum is set to OS GB too otherwise things might be a bit off!

For route planning you can either use the Garmin software (Mapsource) or the digital OS maps from Memory-Map (www.memory-map.co.uk). I prefer Memory-Map (which is probably why I mention it all the time ... they can give me some freebies at the OS show for all the mentions I've given them!!!).

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
At the risk of sounding thick.

If I buy the OS mapping software I can plan a route on the hills throught the woods etc then transfer this route to the yellow GPS? If the answer is yes does it give me a read out of how far I have still to go ETA and the like or does that require a better model and if it does what is the best / cheapest model that will do this.

Sorry to keep asking but I always like an expert opinion before I part with my cash.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Basically, yes. If you add a route with waypoints along the way every unti I've come across apart from wristwatch units will do this. In fact, you don't need mappoing software to plan routes with waypoints ... you can add them manually into you unit. Does make your thumb tired though!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
All this technology confuses me, i prefer a map.

Adi007........Are you a bond fanatic?

Cheers!

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jake Rollnick said:
All this technology confuses me, i prefer a map.

So do I - digital maps! :-D

Adi007........Are you a bond fanatic?

Nah, no more than average ... It was a suggested account name that I was given when signing up for something somewhere and it's just stuck!

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Look in this months Trail and there is an offer for an IT course (from very basic up to a fairly high level depending on you) for £50 and you get a Garmin Gecko free at the end of it. I did it a couple of years ago and got an Etrex legend for an extra £30 or so. Even better deal if you can get your boss to pay for the IT training :)

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Stuart said:
you dont even need to buy the connector if your really strapped for cash

you can make one out of an old credit card (thats how mine was made)

Yeah, seen that done, that and copious amounts of hot glue of epoxy to hold everything together!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
GPS are good but dont let technogical gizmo's replace common sense and skill - if you use a GPS always carry a compass and a map and know how to use them.

Sorry just thought I'd drop that little reminder in there!

Signed - Oscar the grouch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE