GORP or trail mix recipes...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
What are your favorite GORP (Good Ol' Raisens and Peanuts) or trail mix recipes?

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Be wary of nuts. I used to chuck everything from the bottoms of dried fruit and nut jars left over from Christmas baking into a ziplock bag at the beginning of the season, leave it in the pack and top it up from time to time. I found out the hard way that nuts can go off and give you the runs at the most inconvenient times.

I've been off GORP ever since, which is a shame as I used to enjoy the complete lack of recipe and the random result as different things settled to the bottom of the bag. No handful ever tasted the same as the preceding one. I remember that cooking chocolate chips were good in the mix.

Perhaps the recipes on this thread will inspire me to give GORP another try.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I know it is not really a GORP mix but on exercises or tour this little recipe certainly gives me energy and a smiles on my face, a different texture and taste with each a mouthful.

The mix is 1 bag of fruit pastilles
1 packet of biscuits brown broken up.
1 packet of boiled sweets loose (out of any wrappers)
1 oatmeal block broken

possible added extras:

1 bag of jelly babies
1 bag of your favorite haribo
1 bag of american hard gums
1 bag of fruit gems
some garibaldi biscuits
some ginger nut biscuits
etc

I think you get the idea I have a sweet tooth or two :)

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Humbugs and or Mintos, then kitkat bars, @250 calories a bar IIRC:) Can't eat nuts anymore, lethal stuff if you are prone to gout.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I made a batch of 'Kitchen drawer surprise' munch last night, went for fruit and nut chocolate on steroids. Not quite Gorp but then anything with sweet and nuts is good for me.

2 bars of melted dark chocolate
Liberal handfuls of pistachios, cashews and almond flakes, sesame, pumpkin and poppy seeds
A handful of swiss muesli and dried banana with sultanas.
Honey and cinnamon to flavour.

Not all of it made it from the kitchen to my pack :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Whatever your recipe (mix) is it can be improved by a generous seasoning with cayenne pepper or Cajun seasoning.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Something I've not made in years but tastes really good. Melt a couple of chocolate bars and mix in raisins, muesli and crushed walnuts.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
A large bar of choc melted mix in a digestive biscuit or two crushed large tablespoon of butter add raisins nuts or whatever turn out into a buttered takeaway tub put in fridge to cool. Cut into chunks... I've substituted the raisins with gin soaked sloes which was amazing!! ( actually I've given at Christmas and has been well received) d

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE