Gore Tex substitute

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trakker409

Aug 5, 2004
Alabama, USA
I know a lot has been written here about waterproof clothing that is durable enough for bushcraft but I'd like to get some more opinions. We experience wet cold winters where I live. Vey little snow. It's usually just a little warm for snow but nevertheless the wet,cold wind slices through. In my experience Gore Tex just doesn't cut it as far as durability goes. When I'm on "job operations" we usually wear the Gore Tex under our BDUs and web gear for that reason. We most always can get into dry clothing in a reasonable amount of time though so this is not a practical option when in the bush for a week at a time. LL Bean has a coat that looks promising but I'm not so sure. I've ordered one of the Swanndri Ranger Xtreme shirts to help a little but this of course is only a shirt. Suggestions anyone??

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Trakker you'll be surprised how good the Xtreme shirt is - one of my customers mailed me today singing its praises as he went out and tested yesterday in one of the storms were having over here!

As for a gore-tex replacement I always advise Lowe Alpine Triple point ceramic garments - to my mind its the toughest and best waterproof material - can you get that in your state?

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Ad ggary says, Lowe Alpine Triple Point ceramic is very good, asis Mountain Hardwear's Conduit fabric.

trakker409

Aug 5, 2004
Alabama, USA
Thanks for the input guys. I'll definitely check into Lowe Alpine gear and the Gore Tex Pac Light. In the mean time I'll wait on my Ranger Xtreme. Autumn is getting close as well as the next long trip to the woods

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE