Gooutdoors? no way!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I won't be visiting this place ever again, I was in there at dinner hour today, spotted this http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping...ans/hi-gear-backpack-2-cookset/COREACCAZHG190 got to the till and the young girl asked..."have you got a discount card?"

I informed her I hadn't, (I knew nothing of it) she told me if I bought one for £4 I would get discount for the year, I told her I might not be here for a while, she said the item would be £20 then.

So everything priced up in the shop is before discount?

Needless to say I left the set on the counter.
icon8.gif

Yes it seems odd in this day and age that you need a card to get the advertised price.
I have on a couple of occasions not bothered to purchase items as I only call in on odd times when work takes me near to a store. If I was in all of the time then I guess it wouldn't be a problem but for very rare visits I don't agree with their system and so 'vote with my feet'.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
My experience is the opposite. I have had a card for two years now and have recouped the £4 cost both times.
The price tags, I have found, clearly show the 'before' and 'after' prices and thus hard to confuse.
Regards
Alan

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
The thing is tho' Bodge,

this is the second time I've visited the place in a week and not noticed anything about discount cards, if there is a display somewhere, it must be tiny, the price tags are a good size, they're the first thing you notice when you enter the shop.

And anyone mentions why didn't I see their discount card on their website.....well who reads all of a page anyway?
icon9.gif

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
My experience is the opposite. I have had a card for two years now and have recouped the £4 cost both times.
The price tags, I have found, clearly show the 'before' and 'after' prices and thus hard to confuse.
Regards
Alan

I'll second that. I recon they are pretty good. But only if you buy someting a bit more expensive or a few cheap thigs often.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I believe there is a law that an advertised price is what they must accept. I had this problem in London when a PSP game was advertised at 5 pounds, I took it to the counter and the guy said it was a promotional price that was no longer current. I told him it was an advertised price and the law states that more money cannot be charged. Somebody in the queue backed me up and the bloke sold it for that price, although reluctantly. He immediately sent one of his co-workers to clear the shelves of other swimilar priced products. May be worth working out what law it is and hammering them with it next time. That'd tale the smug smile off of their face!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Its worth getting the card. I have saved probably a few hundred quid in there. I got some Miendl Vakuum GTX boots for £120 they are £155 everywhere else. Craghopper Kiwi trousers £15 rather than £25 etc.

It does say on the price tag, two different prices with and without discount card. I didn't know i needed one the first time. Had it sorted in 5 mins though and i am very happy with the place. They always have good sales on and you get a catalogue every month telling you the offers and what days they are on etc.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been three times and never bought a thing any time. Over hyped, poor range of sizes, limited range of makes, poor sales assistance and it wasn't cheap either.

I buy for four menfolks who are all well shaped and normal sized, it wasn't as though I was looking for something awkward. I spend a lot of cash in shops like this one so ought to have been well pleased, and I wasn't.

Camp kit was extremely expensive, I bought the same stuff cheaper in Tiso :rolleyes:

Sorry, not a fan.

cheers,
Toddy

Mar 18, 2009
Lancs
It all depends on how much your spending. the last time i was in i spent over £480 but the card saved me around £70 and yes i did check the prices online before i bought them. not just jacked up prices to be knocked back down again.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Regards
Alan

I've had a card from when it opened and recouped my initial outlay every time and more, there is on the tags a note that states discount card price ive had some good bargains from them bought a vango tent card holders only ...reduced from £109 to £25 just bought a light weight cooker £11 normally £15

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I believe there is a law that an advertised price is what they must accept. I had this problem in London when a PSP game was advertised at 5 pounds, I took it to the counter and the guy said it was a promotional price that was no longer current. I told him it was an advertised price and the law states that more money cannot be charged. Somebody in the queue backed me up and the bloke sold it for that price, although reluctantly. He immediately sent one of his co-workers to clear the shelves of other swimilar priced products. May be worth working out what law it is and hammering them with it next time. That'd tale the smug smile off of their face!
Completely wrong.

The buyer cannot insist that a trader sells anything at the marked price, whether or not the trader has made a mistake. (However, action can be taken against the trader for giving a misleading price indication)

So if the item is mis-labelled the seller can say "soz, made a mistake" and charge you the full price.

You were just lucky the store staff weren't clued up. Having said that, some big chains (Tesco etc) might honour the lower price as good customer relations, but they don't have to in law.

Sorry, I know you hate "real facts" especially if they are on t'internet, but that was what Trading Standards told me when we did a contract with them.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I love Go Outdoors - got a pair of Berghaus waterproof trousers for 33% lower than usual price a couple of weeks back, and it's a great place to pick up cheap baselayers and fleeces etc.

You have to choose your items carefully, but the discount card's paid for itself many times over. Lots of prices end up cheaper than internet prices, and they have some decent "15% off everything" sales now and again.

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
I love Go Outdoors - got a pair of Berghaus waterproof trousers for 33% lower than usual price a couple of weeks back, and it's a great place to pick up cheap baselayers and fleeces etc.

You have to choose your items carefully, but the discount card's paid for itself many times over. Lots of prices end up cheaper than internet prices, and they have some decent "15% off everything" sales now and again.

I love it also especialy when your buying cord from the climbing section you always end up with loads of free stuff why the numpty is waiting for his hot knife to warm up, (IF YOU KNOW WHAT MEAN :ban: )

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
never had any problems here, sure some of the staff are not clued in but there are a few who are. The card cost me £1, never have it with me and i jsut give the postcode i used. Good selection of stuff i have found, only gripe i have is that i always seem to miss the sales as all that is left is some odd sizes. Tiso does have more choice but i rarely buy there as i find most stuff over priced and the sales folk are pushign up selling more than before.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
The more I think about my visit to this shop, the dearer I feel it is, I was looking at boots today priced around the £80/£100 mark, am I glad I didn't buy a pair cos' the shock at the pay desk that this was the discount price would have had me arrested.
icon10.gif

Wayland

Hárbarðr

Completely wrong.

The buyer cannot insist that a trader sells anything at the marked price, whether or not the trader has made a mistake. (However, action can be taken against the trader for giving a misleading price indication)

So if the item is mis-labelled the seller can say "soz, made a mistake" and charge you the full price.

You were just lucky the store staff weren't clued up. Having said that, some big chains (Tesco etc) might honour the lower price as good customer relations, but they don't have to in law.

Sorry, I know you hate "real facts" especially if they are on t'internet, but that was what Trading Standards told me when we did a contract with them.

Neither of these is completely correct.

A price tag or an advertised price is only defined as "an offer to treat"

If a price tag is incorrect the retailer may withdraw the item from sale.

If he still wishes to sell the item, it must be at the advertised price, if he was to charge the higher price then he could be accused of giving a misleading price indication.

Of course the retailer may, as a good will gesture, honour the incorrect price tag but he is under no obligation to do so.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Wayland - yup that is pretty much it. It's why if you go into shops they tend to offer the cheaper mistake price rather than take all the items off sale. Also, it only counts at the point of sale , so anyone in the queue would not necessarily get the lower price, if they were then warned about it before they reached the till, and were talking corrective action. However, in tescos if somone had picked up a product whenth e shelf edge label had been incorrect, they would honour it, even though it may have been changed while the customer was walking about - 2 reasons - they are not going to send someone all over the store warning customers about it, and 2 it's so much easier and customer friendly to change it at the till. Thats if the customer notices. Not only that tesco is meant to offer you the item for free and your money back too.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Completely wrong.

Yep. You're right. I used to be a department manager in a big Tesco and we had to deal with this once. It turns out that the shelf price is classed as an intial offer and can be changed at any stage. It is all to do with the law still accepting that you can haggle over a price if you wish. Nothing to stop you, or the shop in fact, asking a totally different price at the checkout - they just have to tell you that is what they are doing. If it's on the shelf at £10 and they say "That'll be £15" at the till, then fine - just can't take £15 without letting you know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE