Gooutdoors? no way!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 22, 2006
uk
I was looking for a paramo parajo, they had them in stock - went over to check it out and was slightly sceptical about the card.

...so I did a little bit of homework and found that they beat internet prices by 10%, so i played the game, got the card and got 10% off the cheapest online price i could find - its a bit of a pricey coat so it was well worth it...bargain!

you just have to be able to prove it, so i wrote down the web address of the cheaper item, they checked it and sorted me out. They hardly even knew themselves about the deal, I had to explain to the manager - he checked it and, bingo.

2nd's on the cheap base layers, I tried a North Face 'Flight' (i think) for a fiver or so - amazing, went back and bought 2 more the next chance i had.

I'll definitely go back. Great stock of maps.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
If he still wishes to sell the item, it must be at the advertised price, if he was to charge the higher price then he could be accused of giving a misleading price indication.
Only if you can show it's a systematic attempt to hoodwink the customer.

Accidently mislabelling a shelf of goods doesn't stop you selling them all at a different price, as long as you're making efforts at the same time to correct the mistake. So you could annouce in the shop "Please note that all Bear Grylls-branded Crocs are now £45 each, rather than 45p currently advertised". You can then happily sell at £45 rather than 45p while you change the labels.

The misleading prices are more for services - if you advertise a set meal for two at £25 you can't charge £50 at the till.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Completely wrong.

The buyer cannot insist that a trader sells anything at the marked price, whether or not the trader has made a mistake. (However, action can be taken against the trader for giving a misleading price indication)

So if the item is mis-labelled the seller can say "soz, made a mistake" and charge you the full price.

You were just lucky the store staff weren't clued up. Having said that, some big chains (Tesco etc) might honour the lower price as good customer relations, but they don't have to in law.

Sorry, I know you hate "real facts" especially if they are on t'internet, but that was what Trading Standards told me when we did a contract with them.

What a typically argumentative thing to post for a member of this site. Casting aside the fact that you say that anything on the internet is the absolute truth, you don't know me so don't make statements as if we've been drinking buddies for the last twenty years.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What a typically argumentative thing to post for a member of this site. Casting aside the fact that you say that anything on the internet is the absolute truth, you don't know me so don't make statements as if we've been drinking buddies for the last twenty years.

That's a most unusual first response to a thread :confused: How on Earth did something irritate you so much so early on a Sunday morning ??

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Spam, you did reply earlier, and there was me thinking you got out of bed the wrong side or something. :rolleyes:

In fairness, I think everyone's just trying to find clarity in this, but while the legalities are one thing, how mistakes are handled is different in every store.

cheers,
Toddy

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
there is ALWAYS with and without card price, come on £4 a year thats if you go regulare

To me, it wasn't enlightened, Andy, I'm no mingebag, after all, I've made the journey twice now,if I'd have known about the card etc, I wouldn't have gone to the till with the said item.

I was in Outdoormegastore a couple of weeks ago with a similar item priced at £9:99p, the only difference I can think of is the handles appear a touch better quality on the Go-outdoor item, so at the till I thought, for a tenner difference, I'll go to Outdoor.

It's just not clear to me...and maybe a lot of other folk, about this card lark.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Yep. You're right. I used to be a department manager in a big Tesco and we had to deal with this once. It turns out that the shelf price is classed as an intial offer and can be changed at any stage. It is all to do with the law still accepting that you can haggle over a price if you wish. Nothing to stop you, or the shop in fact, asking a totally different price at the checkout - they just have to tell you that is what they are doing. If it's on the shelf at £10 and they say "That'll be £15" at the till, then fine - just can't take £15 without letting you know.

With Tescos in mind, it is or at least was company policy to honour the SEL. As my post above said, a full refund and keep the item. Then send someone to sort it all out. Generally mistakes happened because the SELs were wrong, and these were quickly replaced. I never had to work as Customer Service manager - luckily as those Rotas are a nightmare, but did Duty Manager at a couple of shops, in replenishment as it changed it's name to., :rolleyes: They may have changed te policy now though, it's been a few years since I worked for them.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I apologise for the arsey tone of my original post.

[rest of unnecessary rant removed]

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
So here we have it:
Go outdoors good
Go outdoors bad
You can demand traders honour sales ticket
You can't demand traders honour sales ticket

Fantastic black and white result as usual!

What interests me is the fuss made over what the retailer should/shouldn't do whereas Andywinks post about (what I understand him to mean) shoplifting goes unchallenged.:rolleyes:

I do hope I've misinterpreted his post (in which case I unreservedly apologise) and which was therefore made tongue-in-cheek rather than fingers-in-till!

Alan

Wayland

Hárbarðr
So here we have it:
Go outdoors good
Go outdoors bad

What interests me is the fuss made over what the retailer should/shouldn't do whereas Andywinks post about (what I understand him to mean) shoplifting goes unchallenged.:rolleyes:

I do hope I've misinterpreted his post (in which case I unreservedly apologise) and which was therefore made tongue-in-cheek rather than fingers-in-till!

Alan

there is ALWAYS with and without card price, come on £4 a year thats if you go regulare

As always you will get differing opinions about traders nothing unusual in that.

Differing opinions about accepted / acceptable policy and the legal requirements simply reflect the complications behind a legal system that has evolved for a thousand years.

I do fail to see how Andy pointing out that Go Outdoors always advertise the price with and without their discount card could be interpreted as a post about shoplifting?

Unreservedly apology definitely deserved.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
As always you will get differing opinions about traders nothing unusual in that.

Differing opinions about accepted / acceptable policy and the legal requirements simply reflect the complications behind a legal system that has evolved for a thousand years.

I do fail to see how Andy pointing out that Go Outdoors always advertise the price with and without their discount card could be interpreted as a post about shoplifting?

Unreservedly apology definitely deserved.
I think it was this bit! ;)

you always end up with loads of free stuff why the numpty is waiting for his hot knife to warm up, (IF YOU KNOW WHAT MEAN :ban: )

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... I do fail to see how Andy pointing out that Go Outdoors always advertise the price with and without their discount card could be interpreted as a post about shoplifting? ...

I believe that Alan's reference is to post #14 and not #19.

EDIT: I really should check who's posted when I have to step away from the keyboard :eek: .

Clarification from personal experience - Quite a few Gooutdoors staff are outdoor enthusiasts and aren't quite switched on whilst they're indoors. In the case of measuring cordage this, inevitably, means that they make mistakes - usually in favour of the client.

My own view of the shop? It's ok ... for what it is.
Gooutdoors buys so much of each type of stock in order to sell it cheaper than most retailers/etailers can afford to - but the range of manufacturers and type of product stocked is limited.

From personal experience - The store does seem to have a habit of putting sales labels on things for the same price as the discounted price :confused: :( . I questioned how it qualifies as a sale price when it's the same as the previously* marked discount card price - the reason? Because it's less than the full price :rolleyes: .

* With the discount card price still visible :lmao: .

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yep. You're right. I used to be a department manager in a big Tesco and we had to deal with this once. It turns out that the shelf price is classed as an intial offer and can be changed at any stage. It is all to do with the law still accepting that you can haggle over a price if you wish. Nothing to stop you, or the shop in fact, asking a totally different price at the checkout - they just have to tell you that is what they are doing. If it's on the shelf at £10 and they say "That'll be £15" at the till, then fine - just can't take £15 without letting you know.

Going back to 1973 and my 'A' law, I think the term is 'Invitation to treat' but I could be wrong. You treat yourself to the item and enter a contract when your cash price is accepted.

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
So here we have it:
Go outdoors good
Go outdoors bad

Alan

Oh damm my secret is out:sulkoff:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE