Google street view goes off-road into Peal district!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
You can sign up to carry the Google backpack, a 15kg lump with a camera sticking out the top to map off road.

They have mounted it onto snowmobiles too, plenty of trails in Sweden I found and even a frozen lake.

This will be an amazing resource. I wonder who will be first on here caught on camera? Someone, somewhere is going to get caught with their pants down behind a tree. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sorry but I think that's a hideous idea. Mind you I dislike streetview at the best of times - we chose to have our place removed from Streetview and I know a lot of our neighbours have too - so there wont be much to see around here. I certainly hope that they are paying the people carrying the backpack - and that the landowners can have their land taken off.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We can disagree - I would rather experience a beautiful place by making the effort to go and see it. I also think we need to bear in mind that these places belong to someone and Google do not seek their permission - I consider that horribly intrusive.

As I said though - its okay to disagree.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
We can disagree - I would rather experience a beautiful place by making the effort to go and see it.

It's not about rather doing this or that as its not supposed to be an alternative to been in a location. You may have been to a place before but still want/need to view it online.

I also think we need to bear in mind that these places belong to someone and Google do not seek their permission

..and that's why there will be an opt out solution. You expect Google to contact everybody in England or the world to ask permission? Plus they don't actually need permission in first place.

- I consider that horribly intrusive.

I don't really understand how, it's not as if its a live recording of a house, It's a simple photo. Anybody can go walk down a street and look at the houses any time they like so also having an option to do it online doesn't really make any difference whatsoever (IMO).

As I said though - its okay to disagree.

I agree, it's ok :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ever since a recent update google maps makes my PC lock solid and reboot. Still not gotten to the bottom of it yet.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Ever since a recent update google maps makes my PC lock solid and reboot. Still not gotten to the bottom of it yet.

Do you get blue screen, If so what does the error code say?

..and when you say google maps, do you mean google maps on browser or Google Earth desktop app?

System reboots/BSOD are usually caused by hardware or driver fault. It's most likely a RAM issue. If you have Win7/8 open the Start Menu and type in mdsched.exe, then press enter.

Last edited:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I think that will be a fantasic resource. The amount of times I've looked on google maps to find somewhere I want/ need to get to and having the function to get right down there with the street view means I know exactly where I'm going - even before I get there - so no time messing around getting lost [which could be expensive if connected with work].

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man but I hate the idea.

Google own Panoramio and I quite like that, seeing someones geo-located photo of a place I do not mind, but having google scan every square meter of a place or route leaves me cold.

My place in Scotland isn't exactly off the beaten track but it is remote, you could drive past it and not realise that it is there, however the google wagon camera is high enough to look over the unkempt beech hedge and shows the house and garden to all who would be curious. I'd have it removed but then that might suggest that I had something worth hiding (which I don't). :)

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Do you get blue screen, If so what does the error code say?

..and when you say google maps, do you mean google maps on browser or Google Earth desktop app?

System reboots/BSOD are usually caused by hardware or driver fault. It's most likely a RAM issue. If you have Win7/8 open the Start Menu and type in mdsched.exe, then press enter.

Its in the browser mate, in several different browers. Machine is fine besides. Its not a BSOD just a freeze, lose video and lock solid.
There are various reports of the same issue mostly down to video cards. All drivers updated but this machine is ancient and I am using two video cards and screens.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE