Google Maps instead of Pratt-Nav

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Road atlas?
Sometimes we print off sections of multi map off the Internet to give us a map of a small area we need to visit places.

Hope this helps.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Road atlas?
Sometimes we print off sections of multi map off the Internet to give us a map of a small area we need to visit places.

Hope this helps.

£2 from a garage and covers the whole country. No need for internet connection or paper or ink.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
£2 from a garage and covers the whole country. No need for internet connection or paper or ink.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Best thing is it works in the hills and mountains were people on here and most likely to be and there might not be a connection. Just the same as a paper map is better than a GPS.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well thanks for all that. Good points about 3G etc.

Actually I can and do use maps, compasses, stars, watches, water needles, etc. I even look at satellite pics and carry the pic in my head. I
find all of those singularly useless at 80mph on a motorway, surrounded by lorries when the signs are to much for a bear of very little brain to comprehend. At least the Pratt-nav gets me into the right lane in time not to end up in Crewe (Mr Porter) instead of Brummigem. I think I'll continue to attempt to use the appropriate tool for the job :). Just wish it was easier to program the damn thing to go the way I want it to - sigh :)

behind every creative woman there's usually a very talented cat ...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Yeah yeah paper copies are all good ;) BUT they do not update with traffic reports, new road layouts, diversions etc.
Its also pretty hard to read a map and drive at the same time especially when there is a road closed or heavy traffic.
Yes I will look at an on-line map to get the rough idea before I set off but having worked around most of the county I can find most places roughly before needing the more detailed directions. I have been a field engineer for years and would not be without some form of satnav since they became so cheap and accurate.

I have GPS on my phone and have found Waze (a free app) more reliable than my sat nav.

I drive for a living and have used TT for many years aswell as smart phones and other brands of satnav. I always go back to TT as I find their mapping to be superior.
I use the live traffic on my current unit and it works, mostly, very well. I have used waze and found it to be very good with a very easy interface to use albeit requiring a data connection to plan routes.
As with all sat navs a degree of user interaction/common sense must be applied as I have found all to occasionally lose the plot.

Yeah yeah paper copies are all good ;) BUT they do not update with traffic reports, new road layouts, diversions etc.
Its also pretty hard to read a map and drive at the same time especially when there is a road closed or heavy traffic.
Yes I will look at an on-line map to get the rough idea before I set off but having worked around most of the county I can find most places roughly before needing the more detailed directions. I have been a field engineer for years and would not be without some form of satnav since they became so cheap and accurate.

Pre satnav I drove around the country with a cardboard box full of A-Z street maps. Every new town I went to involved me visiting a newsagents to purchase an A-Z map to complete my multi drop deliveries. Makes me shudder to think about driving around with a street map on my knee following a route.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE