Goodness I'm rubbish at using a sewing machine...

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Can't show you my project as I've just broken my second machine needle and don't have another spare (my mother-in-law, whose machine it is isn't going to be pleased). I must have used twice the amount of thread that's ended up in it and I've already wasted/discarded a full piece of material... at least it was free stuff I was sewing...

Any guesses?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Switch it off, leave things lie and go and put the kettle on.
Go back to it in the morning and you'll be amazed at how well it all comes together :)

Needles are consumables; I go through loads of them, I change them often. A blunt needle will make the thread snarl and the fabric twist and crawl in the feed dogs. Not worth the hassle.

If you've broken two then the machine isn't set up correctly, you're pulling the fabric so hard that the needle is bending out of line, or you're hitting a zip or suchlike.

Frustrating as, oh a very bad thing :sigh:

What were you trying to sew anyway ?
You have us curious now :D

cheers,
M

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If you recall I started a thread about recycling an old tent. Following on from my hammocking exploits with the dog, I thought I'd try and make him a mat to sleep on. I had a strip of foam camping mat about 6" wide but full length (I'd been cutting them up to stick to the roof of the Pinz for insulation) so thought I'd use 3 bits to make a folding mat, covered in tent groundsheet to keep them waterproof.

Basically involved making a square bag big enough to put all 3 bits in, side-by-side, then sewing seams to keep them in place. It's actually useable, but not very neat

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh tent fabric :sigh:
You really, really, need a sharp needle. It's like making kites; if the needles makes a pfft, pfft, pfft sort of noise as it has to 'punch' it's way through the fabric, it's too blunt :sigh:

Neat idea on the wombling though :approve:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE