Bartack on domestic (vintage) sewing machine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Having fixed my vintage zig-zag sewing machine (see here) thought I'd see how capable it was. Loaded thread and bobbin with 40s/TKT40 bonded Nylon and grabbed an old seatbelt that I'd previously sewed on an industrial machine (with green thread).

The new bar tacks are at the top of the picture, in black. The green/tan looking stuff is older and the black at the bottom is OEM.

It sometimes takes a bit to get it started but once going, it copes pretty well. Quite glad I didn't fork out several hundred quid for a Sailrite LSZ-1 copy. Being a vintage machine, it's all metal and I'd warrant the needle would give out before the machine was damaged (unlike my modern domestic, which keeps losing timing). Think I'm using a Schmetz 110 jeans needle.

A62c9bDn2oPRSzCaRyPREfnUp2zES4ylBxTmcAp6IMk3phWlAhF420hlQroOt-iUTx1Sv-5UzLbERXCHL4g1K4eOhAT53-mcNB8YMtatNSr9KRG2ZH1BYQm8kBjHYSxaCCkD_AsLSps=w2400

Reactions: Toddy and MrEd

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Was looking for more info on my machine. There's an identical one on eBay for £165!!!! I only paid a tenner. So much for a budget option...

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Took the top off it yesterday to see if it needed cleaning - the engineering is beautiful, all oiled bronze and steel. Gave it some oil anyway and it's running quieter and so smoothly. Wondering if I should sell my Singer 201K now...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE