good winter campsites in lakes or yorkshire dales?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Demographic.. They are really well built and the materials are thick and solid. They will last 10 years without maintanance according to the bloke, so he wasn't bothered about the price as he will nearly double his money in the first year if he can fill it every night. Realistically though he will at least make his money back.

Of that I have no doubt, I work as a carpenter though and even considering the spec listed HERE I would have thought there is a decent profit margain for the people who make and build them as long as they don't doss about whilst making them.
I am not saying that they are no good at all, I love the look and would have to say the specifications are good, the only thing I would say is that the company making them should do well in business.

But the campsite can make the money back as well so everyone is happy.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Whoa she was keen !! its booked.!!!

The guy is really nice we are booked for March 13th and 14th, and AGAIN for April 13th thru to the 16th.

cheers for Info Hillbill didnt realize they had heaters aswell can you take your own camping lanterns or candles for light might be a bit more cozy and atmospheric that way and added heat too. (dont worry i wont burn the pod down honest!!)

I have to say thanks for putting this info up I am really looking forward to this its my Birthday on the 15th April so she certainly knows how to treat me hehehe!! its usually a hotel for hers!!

I take it its thermarests and folding chairs or beanbags for seats? hopefully my new Honey stove will be here of the group buys then i can have a play with that too.

thanks one again

Andy

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Just think of a pod as tent and take the gear you normally would for sleeping/seating etc. You can cook on the fire or use gas or both. I had a duel fuel lantern with me it was all we needed, We had torches but only used them to go down to the toilets/showers.

Just take what ever you want. You only have 100 yards to walk from your car, the hill you go up though is a bit of a killer carrying kit.

One bit of advice mate. Take some dry wood with you or buy some from the co-op in hawkshead 5 mile north. The wood we bought off of him was really wet and it took a day next to the fire to dry well enough to be good enough. We also bought some coal from the same co-op. It helped a lot keeping us warm, it just takes a bit to get going. A good bed of embers before adding it is needed.(just in case). You will need something to split the wood down too.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Well done Scrogger. So are you organising a meet for 13/14/15 March? Put me down for it if you are.
Ian.

Ian I will be going up with my better half and 2 children aged 9 and 12 and 2 border collies. Although im not organising a meet as such it would still be nice to say hello
and have a natter over an open fire and a glass of red or a beer.

So all I would say if yourself or anyone else for that matter is up there please say hello
you will recognice me by the dogs as for border collies they are quite unusual. We will pretty do much our own thing during the day but will be about weather permitting to have an open fire and a cook up in the evenings.

hopefully it will be nice weather and to be honest it would be nice to meet some like minded folk who I can codge a few ideas off.

hopefully see you there.

Andy

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Of that I have no doubt, I work as a carpenter though and even considering the spec listed HERE I would have thought there is a decent profit margain for the people who make and build them as long as they don't doss about whilst making them.
I am not saying that they are no good at all, I love the look and would have to say the specifications are good, the only thing I would say is that the company making them should do well in business.

But the campsite can make the money back as well so everyone is happy.

I suppose they are one one of those thing that will build in popularity. Word will get round, the company will need to be fast and efficient in their production methods. CNC's to do the curved areas, the rest knocked together on a frame. If they have all the parts available then i doubt it would take more than a couple of hours to assemble one between 2 guys.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I suppose they are one one of those thing that will build in popularity. Word will get round, the company will need to be fast and efficient in their production methods. CNC's to do the curved areas, the rest knocked together on a frame. If they have all the parts available then i doubt it would take more than a couple of hours to assemble one between 2 guys.

I wouldn't go quite so far as to say a couple of hours as the roofing will take some time and the tongued and grooved boards although pretty easy and fast to fix with a paslode gun or airline fed nailgun will still take a bit of time.
Still, the workshop stuff could be done by pretty unskilled labour after a short training period which will lower cost a lot.

I would have thought theres a good profit margain in them at five grand all in though.
Good luck to them, the product is very good looking and sells.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Well Scrogger, it seems you will be on your own. I tried to book a meet to coincide with your visit. But the owner thinks it will be too cold for us.:rolleyes: He must think we are a soft bunch of wotsits. Pity cos I really fancied it.
Ian.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Well Scrogger, it seems you will be on your own. I tried to book a meet to coincide with your visit. But the owner thinks it will be too cold for us.:rolleyes: He must think we are a soft bunch of wotsits. Pity cos I really fancied it.
Ian.

Just turn up, he has bare minimum visitors this time of year.Cold??? Tell him that is what we do and his opinion in this matter is irrelevant. It ain't like he is our parents. Ring him back and explain the tarp/hammock situation. It is clear he does not understand as he is used to tents etc.

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
great thread, will visit the grizedale site soon, i'm selling my camper in april, so this will be perfect for out of season trips with the family.

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
great thread, will visit the grizedale site soon, i'm selling my camper in april, so this will be perfect for out of season trips with the family.

finally got round to going. brilliant site, super friendly owner, nice spot.

had a great 24 hrs in my oztent. the whole site and surrounding area are a great location, nice crowd too.
spent 20 mins talking to the owner, the sort of person you'd gladly give your money to!

if you want to visit the lakes in a tent this is as good a site as any,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE