good wildcamp spots near loch lomond ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 28, 2013
newcastle
hey, I joined this site just now cause im sick of all the hill walking sites where they talk about wild camping like its a crime, im wondering if there is any woodland near loch Lomond where I could stay a few nights maybe walk 10 mile each day to a new camp, what im looking for is birch and pine woodland, hopefully with some streams for fresh water, just want to know some good spots where I wont get bothered, grid refs will be fine if you cant explain the location. thanks.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Firstly, hello and welcome to the forum :)

Secondly, tough luck. In most of the UK what you want to do is illegal and this forum neither encourages or condones illegal activity.

Thirdly, Loch Lomond (fortunately or otherwise depending on whether you live next to it and endure the numpties who trash the place or the byelaws that stop you and your family playing on your doorstep) is in Scotland.
Those aforementioned byelaws now mean that you cannot camp all along one side of the loch during the height of the season.
You really need to search for the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park and read up on the situation before you visit.

Lastly, best advice :) get in touch with some of the Scots who post in Out and About in the area. They're good folks to chill out with :D If you can get to one of their meet ups you'll get on the ground information that'll last a lifetime.

Oh, and the burns that feed the loch all run through lands with sheep, not good to drink from unless really, really necessary and you're careful about it.

cheers,
Toddy

Jimmy.S.

Nov 25, 2012
Edinburgh
Hey Bilbo, the bylaws now in place on Loch Lomond cover only the east bank. The forest found on the eastern side of the loch on the way from Balmaha to Rowerdennan however is not off limits. Its camping loch side that's the issue. Search for Loch Lomond bylaws, there's a map that details what area is off limits for wild camping. As for decent spots, for this area I have not a Scooby. Best of luck :)

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Walk the West Highland Way, do ten miles a day and wild camp, simples !

Just camp above the banned camping zone. or walk in from Loch Ard.

Be responsible, as wild camping is only legal if you act responsibly eg bury human waste (don't burn the loo paper), avoid plantations, avoid fires unless at beaches etc, don't cut down trees/crops or hassle farm animals.
http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/

The map showing the banned areas on the East of Loch Lomond, basically a corridor each side of the road.
Map_2012.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE