Good trade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A little while back SGL70 from Sweden was interested in having a copy of one of my books: to avoid the hassle of international money transfers (I do not do PP) I suggested a trade - for something of his choice from his area.
He settled for sending me a knife blade which suited me fine :)
In fact it is a slightly hollow ground 3.5" long 3cm wide 4mm thick Damascus blade with a lovely patterning and a long hidden tang! It is worth much more than One copy of my book ... so I sent him a copy of one of my other books as well...

Now my workshop is not quite as cold as it was I have managed to get in and put a handle on the blade.
I chose a piece of plain Beech and made the handle in an "Adapted Henry" style - that is have too bits of wood, rebate one and stick the two pieces together before shaping the handle. I ground in some "keys" to hold the tang in place mechanically as well as just relying on the glue - Bison Epoxy - and hand shaped the handle with rasps and abrasives before I raised and removed the grain (soak in water, dry, sand, repeat until it stays smooth) prior to soaking the wood in a mix of Raw Linseed and Teak oils.
I then polished the handle with a mix of bees wax and oil, sharpened the blade to "hair popping" on diamond stones and a strop and brought up the blade etch but soaking it in stupidly strong , cheap, instant coffee.
Oiled and polished again this morning the knife looks like this
P2200004.jpg
P2200002.jpg
P2200001.jpg
The "scratches" on the blade are just excess oil - not in the blade!
Next week I will make it a sheath but for this weekends trip into the woods I will be carrying it in a spare sheath I had knocking about...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am spending most of today and the rest of the weekend in the woods - I just popped home to clean up for 3 hours work this evening then it is back to the woods until Sunday.
So far the knife has made 4 tent pegs (Rowan) and an adjustable pot hook (seasoned Oak) as well as cutting a few small branches off a dead Oak and splitting some Oak for the fire . .. it cuts like a dream in slicing and chisel cuts and is holding its edge well :)
Roly (Dr Jones) is joining me tomorrow and I hope to impress him with all the new home made gear I am using this weekend - as well as the knife I will be showing him my canvas and leather pack and bags and my Waxed cotton covered blanket :)
When the weather improves I hope to do another "Nothing but home- made kit" weekend where no commercially acquired kit will be used (and that includes sock, boots, underwear, tarps the lot. It has to be home made or natural (ie sheepskin sleeping pads). I really enjoyed the last one I did - and now my kit is even better:)
Right - off for a shower and then on to work before heading up to the woods again....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE