Good instant coffee.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VFR800Essex

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2012
Essex UK
I've seen people review the coffee in bag and thought it was a bit steep for a cuppa. I don't like the fact that it leaves a lot of waste packaging. Yes i know you can burn it but the paper is coated in plastic so will leave a shrivelled up piece of plastic.

I've always been a fan of a decent instant and saw this in the local Sainsburys.

IMG_0830.jpg

You use it just like an instant and the metal tin can be used afterwards for more coffee storage. It's a decent taste compromise between filter/cafetiere and an instant.
It says 33 servings but i like my coffee like rocket fuel so only get about 15 decent size mugs. There is another one I've seen and sampled and it's not as good in my opinion.
1-Carte-Noire-INSTINCT-coffee.png

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Have you tried the Nescafe Espresso instant?

I prefer it over proper brewed coffee.

I haven't tried those above, time to I think.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Instant coffee is fine - if you run short of the real thing!
Rat Pack coffee is an OK drink ... just do not think of it as coffee and you are fine :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like the taste of Nescafe well enough. But when in the woods I usually prefer something with caffeine.

OOPS. My bad. Nescafe is caffeinated; I'm thinking of another brand.

Last edited:

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Tried the Instinct, quite liked it, another similar is Millicano, that was ok too, both definately better than ordinary instants imho. I will try the Nescafe, never been too keen on their instants, but I'll give anything a try.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Tried all 3 and found them all to be tasteless.
I'll be sticking with Starbucks Via italian roast.The best instant I've ever tasted.
Before you decide it's very expensive I pay £2 for 7 sachets at Tesco.Thats 7 cups of great coffee for £2.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Instant is at best a substitute for real coffee for me. I like realcoffee black. On the other hand I have never found an instant that I could drink that way; it always needs sugar and milk (or substitutes for them also)

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Just tried starbucks instant stuff and i gotta say, its the best instant coffee i have tasted, 6 quid-ish for a wee can which gives 24 servings and the can is small enough to fit into the pocket of your jeans, great stuff, perfect for a bitt a backpacking.
great thread

paddy

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Just tried starbucks instant stuff and i gotta say, its the best instant coffee i have tasted, 6 quid-ish for a wee can which gives 24 servings and the can is small enough to fit into the pocket of your jeans, great stuff, perfect for a bitt a backpacking.
great thread

paddy

It sounds expensive but when you realise there are 24 cups in that small tin £6 for 24 cups is quite cheap.
If you want to scare yourself,have a look at cost per 100g on the price marker on the shelf.It works out to about £180.00 per kilo.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It sounds expensive but when you realise there are 24 cups in that small tin £6 for 24 cups is quite cheap...

Apparently coffee is more expensive there than I remembered. I pay (for better grade coffees) about $4 per pound of grounds. That makes about 20 pots (12 cup pots) or about 240 cups. That works out to about 1.7 cents (or about 2.7 pence) per cup here. Less for cheaper coffee and more for "Premium." Quite a bit less than the 25 pence per cup that 6 quid for 24 cups works out to.

But am I compaing apples to oranges here? The prices I mentioned here are for drip coffee; is the 6 pound package a package of instant servings?

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Apparently coffee is more expensive there than I remembered. I pay (for better grade coffees) about $4 per pound of grounds. That makes about 20 pots (12 cup pots) or about 240 cups. That works out to about 1.7 cents (or about 2.7 pence) per cup here. Less for cheaper coffee and more for "Premium." Quite a bit less than the 25 pence per cup that 6 quid for 24 cups works out to.

But am I compaing apples to oranges here? The prices I mentioned here are for drip coffee; is the 6 pound package a package of instant servings?

Yes the price is for instant but with added microground beans.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been suffering with those nasty Kenco 3-in-1 things for too long, I drink filter coffee at home and Millicano at work, so I need to try something new.

I saw the Millicano sachets in Morrisons this week so I'll try them next time, I still need to carry milk and sugar separately though which can be a pain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE