Good Homemade Cough Syrup

Heres a simple but effective cough syrup (and tastes good!) :)

You need:
2 Lemons
1 Handful Pine needles
4 Tblsp, Glycerine
4 Tblsp Honey

Cut needles into small portions
Boil the lemons (whole) and needles for 10 minutes place in bowl and cut into halves while hot
Add the glycerine with equal amounts of Honey
add some of the boiled water to desired consistency let cool.

Take 2 tsp to suppress cough.

Note: Be sure not to cut lemon in bowl with water they should be squeezed of all their juice then discarded. then add glycerine and honey.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
The best cough and cold remedy I know is a careful blend of 1 part dark jamaican rum to 2 parts dark jamaican rum. For really bad cases I will ocasionally add another 1 part of dark jamaican rum :lmao:
Take the medicine just before bed and sleep like a log until the cold has gone away.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Brian Curnel said:
Heres a simple but effective cough syrup (and tastes good!) :)

You need:
2 Lemons
1 Handful Pine needles
4 Tblsp, Glycerine
4 Tblsp Honey

Cut needles into small portions
Boil the lemons (whole) and needles for 10 minutes place in bowl and cut into halves while hot
Add the glycerine with equal amounts of Honey
add some of the boiled water to desired consistency let cool.

Take 2 tsp to suppress cough.

Note: Be sure not to cut lemon in bowl with water they should be squeezed of all their juice then discarded. then add glycerine and honey.

Hi mate,
where do you get the Glycerine from? Sorry for being ignorant but is that stuff not part of explosives?

cheers
Abbe

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Glycerine (also sold as Glycerol) is available from chemists shops and from many supermarkets as it is used in cooking also.
Yes, it is the same stuff as is used in the manufacture of nitro-glycerine (and subsequently Dynamite) but this involves the careful (VERY careful!) purification and distillation of the ingredients, the other being primarily Nitric Acid I believe. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME ! *LOL*

Hi ABBE,
To answer your question it can be used as a stabilizer I guess but it can be found here in the US at any drug store as a hand or skin treatment for dry skin. It is completely safe to ingest small amounts like lets say 4 Tblsp at one time, of course you would'ny want to turn it up like rum. But I hope this clarifies issues to your concern

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Brian Curnel said:
Hi ABBE,
To answer your question it can be used as a stabilizer I guess but it can be found here in the US at any drug store as a hand or skin treatment for dry skin. It is completely safe to ingest small amounts like lets say 4 Tblsp at one time, of course you would'ny want to turn it up like rum. But I hope this clarifies issues to your concern

thanks guys for the info!
cheers
Abbe

ravem

Nov 18, 2005
Italy
Brian Curnel said:
Heres a simple but effective cough syrup (and tastes good!)

A wonderful recipe for a cough syrup from the Alps tradition uses the mugo pine (swiss mountain pine) gems and cones(Pinus mugo).
Check here to recognize it:
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/p/pinmug/pinmug1.html
http://digilander.libero.it/alberiitaliani/pinmu/pinmu.htm (this is a good link for the Alps plants).

Just take a glass jar full of cones (or better gems as they're richer in essential oils) and cover them with sugar.
Put the jar under the sun turning it upside down two times a day, and taking it inside at night. Repeat this until the cones has turned yellow.
Then take away the cones from the jar and you'll get it.
Store in a dark place.
It's absolutely the best cough remedy I ever tried and nice tasting also.
Anyway, take care, as in the alpine parks of Italy collecting the mugo gems and cones is forbidden.

Afaik you can use also the larch (Larix decidua) gems but the essential oils are not so nice tasting nor effective imho.

A note: here the mountain people use a good grappa instead of sugar and the result.. well I let it to your imagination :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE