Good fjallraven 'trouser' alternatives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Dunno when you changed it, but I read it as a trouser thread from the off. The Decathlon spokesman took the thread all over the place with product placement, must be on a percentage, like the Amazon reviewers.

I like the 5.11 troos a lot. Taclite Pro in this weather, Stryke when it’s cooler. The Stryke do not wear well, but have done a couple of years. Pretty much all I wear apart from a pair of trousers from Ridgeline with knee and bum protection. Keela is a nice company, I’ve been wearing a Falklands Ventile for years, same one, never let me down. Went off for cuff and bungee replacement a couple of years ago, really nice to deal with.
Are Keela still a bit dodgy with trouser sizing? I used to wear their stretchy fabric trousers. Can't remember the model but I think they were super something. Their better, softshell trousers, top of their range but cheap as compared to other brands. Perhaps a bit too synthetic for many but they lasted about three years hard use if not longer. Dried very quickly such that I didn't always use waterproof trousers in the rain.

I ask about the dodgy sizing because my local retailer used to keep letting me know when he gets a pair in my waist size but with 3 inches extra length. Seriously, he showed me two versions of the same trousers where the width at the waist when laid flat was exactly the same but the leg length was 2"" longer with one pair. He explained the history of the company as he was friends with the founder of the company. It was in the process of being handed over to the next generation of the family at the time so might be better at fixing the sizing. But no good for me if they've sorted that sizing issue out.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Btw I've only ever known two items of clothing to hike snag on thorns creating ba serious guilt hole but in getting home I couldn't find the hole because the weave came back again. One was a buffalo windshirt, the other those Keela trousers.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In the beginning the titel asked for alternatives for Fjälräven, the word 'trousers' was added half a day later, isn't it?
ÖBH polycotton field uniforms are in general an alternativ option, cheap and long lasting, isn't it?

The Decathlon trousers I mentioned answer the question as well.

So, don't criticise me please if I answer the question which is written in the titel.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
In the beginning the titel asked for alternatives for Fjälräven, the word 'trousers' was added half a day later, isn't it?
ÖBH polycotton field uniforms are in general an alternativ option, cheap and long lasting, isn't it?

The Decathlon trousers I mentioned answer the question as well.

So, don't criticise me please if I answer the question which is written in the titel.

Thank you!

I didn’t criticise you for answering a question, but I did for the constant posting of links, particularly to Decathlon. All could have been put in one post, but they appear as if they’re part of an ongoing Google search that you’re doing and just adding stuff as you go. Perhaps rather than putting 8 posts with links, you could put all your links and knowledge into one post? Then it wouldn’t seem as if you’re railroading a thread by bombing it with links.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Can't say I really have "Outdoor Trousers" specifically, but I do have work trousers which often amount to the same thing.
For years I've used Snickers Floorlayer trousers but I've noticed a marked decline in the quality and longevity of the stitching. To the point where the last two pairs got about a month before the crotch and round the pockets started to come apart. Now this was on eighty quid strides and although my wife fixed them for me I figured that it was getting to be a bit of a joke at my expence.

I'd heard good things about Blaklader and spotted some on Ebay secondhand (think that should be second leg but...) and I bought them cheap.
Later on I found out they were the aramid reinforced ones.
I've had them for just short of a year now, used more or less everyday at work and they are lastinv very well and I'm never buying Snickers strides again.

Blaklader strides are much better quality, still expensive but worth it.
Oh, they have fly buttons as well, which for me is better. Snickers zips were pretty gash quality as well and buttons just work.
Carefull with the sizes cos I think the sizes are snug compared to Snickers, think I went up a couple of sizes and that was about right.

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I've been using 5.11 Strykes for a few years now, both leisure and woodland/bushcrafty wear. They fit comfortably and have all the pockets needed and the "cargo" pockets on the legs aren't too big and bulky but still a good useful size.

The only downside I find is that I have experienced mozzie bites through the material on a few occasions, usually on the back of the legs where the material is pulled tight when having a rest in the woodland, but then I am a mozzie magnet and a quick spray with something suitable usually does the trick in peak mozzie season.

The light'ish material is otherwise good for not being too hot when active in the summer, and for being quick to dry off if caught in a shower :)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Fjallraven style alternatives please. As ex-sar my mountain kit is good. So yes more camping in the woods style trousers I'm looking for really.

www.onelifeoverland.com
It's a fair question toask about usage or preferences. Especially if work clothes were too hot/inflexible. Fjällräven makes several different styles of trousers after all, from lightweight trekking, to stretchy techy hiking, to hard-wearing cooler weather ones for scraping on trees bushes and rocks. :)

If fires are involved, non-synthetic, work wear or tightly woven cotton or wool might be best.

It comes down to fit really, but DH's 5.11s seem to have lasted really well.
I tend to wear my Fjällräven out on the inner thigh so try to save them for fieldwork and cold weather-hiking and use Dickies or Blåkläder or similar for more sedated woodland or fireside activities.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I am going to do what this forum always seems to do and that is talk about what the OP specifically said not to talk about :) - that's work trousers. For working and 'playing' in the woods I use a pair of Hyena Himalaya trousers - they're a strong poly-cotton (1000 denier?) with Cordura reinforced parts and a small amount of an elastic material that gives them a little stretch; they also have top loading knee pad pockets (I use small sections of an old closed cell foam sleep mat rather than bulky builder's knee pads). Mine are a nice olive green with black reinforcement areas but I can't find the green ones anywhere at the moment (Screwfix used to stock them). I wouldn't go trekking in them but they're about as bramble proof as I've found and not too stiff.

Oh, and those floppy outside pockets just fit inside the normal pockets so they're there when you need them (filled with fencing staples for example) but tucked away when you don't.

Reactions: SaraR

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
A lot of German bushcrafters use Engelbert Strauss workwear.

Most german craftsmen use them at work and like them, but unfortunately most of this clothing has light reflective parts which can't be removed.
That's the reason why I never bought that stuff and can't tell you if it's really worth the money.
A lot of this clothing is made from polycotton mix that seems to be pretty similar but a bit thicker than usual Fjälräven clothing.

Some of the trousers have vertical ventilation zippers.

Farming clothing

Forest clothing

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I like fjallraven trousers but find them heavy. Prefer lightweight trousers and pockets all in a coat. You can wax most polycotton combats (many good commercial makes) or go for Rohan’s which are excellent. I like the bear grylls survivor trousers or Rohan or a pair of black combats.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Aren't Bear Grylls just remarketed cragghoppers with a premium to the price? IIRC they're made by cragghoppers or were when first out.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I bought a set of these from Varusteleka

They're a nice trouser with pretty robust fabric. The breathable bits at the top of the backside and behind the knee are light stretchy fabric which may prove to be a point of failure. I haven't managed to get out and use them that much. Certainly the fabric feels v similar to the Fjallraven G1000. The only annoying thing is that they only do them in two lengths normal and long. Alas I'm short so they do bunch up a tad. One other issue is that a BAHCO folding saw is a little too long for the front pocket.

Namar

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Europe
I have looked for the same thing as fjallraven trousers are really expensive especially with the quality nowdays that is far from what it used to be.
Considering you’re looking for some poly/cotton trousers that are not awfully looking and durable, here are the alternatives i have found.

Pinewood seems to make interesting stuff, less pricey, good quality from what i heard, poly/cotton, nice cut.

Revolutionrace, saw this brand a lot in sweden (comes from there apparently) poly/cotton mainly, several technical models, good looking cuts and long (great for tall people), i have tried one of their less tight model but the cut is tapered and it either was too tight on the calves or it was too large at the butt.
Probably durable and people seem to be happy with them.

Lundhags are pricey but very durable.

Tatonka makes a few outdoor trousers too, the brand has a good reputation about durability

Heard some good about engelbert strauss, carhartt is famous for their workline but it’s mostly really heavy cotton fabrics so it takes forever to dry, 5.11 on the tactical side, helikon tex seem not too bad, sasta’s the same as fjallraven with a scandinavian price.
Decathlon hunting line is not bad quality especially for the price, but they tend to make pants too short and not nicely cut in my opinions, plus from two models i owned (long time ago so maybe it changed) side pockets were so small everything was always falling everywhere…. Scandinavian hunting brands seems to make some nice options, like chevalier, harkila and others, but it's often really expensive.

Now I'm mostly looking at the secondhand market, as a philosophy of not participating too much to the general massive waste, but also for my wallet as I have found many really interesting brand new deals I couldn't never have afford otherwise.

Reactions: dwardo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE