Good, Cheap, Lightweight sharpening stone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the cheapest and lightest sharpener you can get is a small bundle of wet and dry paper.

will sharpen anythiing of any shape by backing it with something appropriate. So, for example, the bottom of a mess tin for your flat edged knife; rucksack strap for your convex axe/knife; small round piece of branch for the inside of your spoon hook; etc

;)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit here but are these any good?

http://www.heinnie.com/Y7dcpt828982...niven-Sharpening-Whetstones/p-93-370-212-418/

How hard are they to use? And which should I get?

Cheers

J

They're very good indeed. Light and handy to keep in your kit. They get even better with use. My personal preference is to get the DC4 version as that's easier to use.

Only failing is I and several other people I know who use them say the glue is carp and the diamond face comes adrift from the ceramic. Easy to to fix with some araldite but just be aware of that fault.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Those can be handly, especially if you have a knife with high rockwell steel like ZDP 189, which ceramic barely touches. They are also good for butcher knives if you are hunting and will give you a toothy edge for slicing meat.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Those viking whetstones look nice! Something for the classy bushcrafter.

Though I would suggest a DC4, it doesn't pay off going cheaper then this. It's handy as you don't need to wet it and you have two surfaces in a small and strong package.

Some of the DC4's fall apart because they aren't glued together well enough, but it's easily fixed with some epoxy..

Wet and dry paper is useful for convex and spoon knives.

mmc1

Feb 23, 2006
Al US
Those viking whetstones look nice! Something for the classy bushcrafter.

Though I would suggest a DC4, it doesn't pay off going cheaper then this. It's handy as you don't need to wet it and you have two surfaces in a small and strong package.

Some of the DC4's fall apart because they aren't glued together well enough, but it's easily fixed with some epoxy..

Wet and dry paper is useful for convex and spoon knives.

I like those credit card sized diamond plates beacause they are wider than the DC4. They do not have to be wet either. They also fit in my wallet so I always have them on me. They are also of good quality.

The Viking whetsones are very fine and make a nice companion to the diamond plate.They can also be worn around your neck and look very cool.

1259605963-011.JPG

Here's a better picture of them.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
mmc1 said:
The Viking whetsones are very fine and make a nice companion to the diamond plate.They can also be worn around your neck and look very cool.
I have one of those viking whetstones myself but couldn't really tell whether it did anything after using it. Just wondering, how do you (you personally) use it and how many strokes? They do look cool though.

Last edited:

mmc1

Feb 23, 2006
Al US
I have one of those viking whetstones myself but couldn't really tell whether it did anything after using it. Just wondering, how do you (you personally) use it and how many strokes? They do look cool though.

I use the diamond plate to get my knife to almost shaving and then use the viking whetstone to bring it to a shaving edge. They are more of a hone to put the final edge on with and to maintain a edge.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Do you have any idea where to order such a viking whetstones in Sweden..?

A credit card sized diamond plate in the wallet and a whetstone around the neck... good idea.

mmc1

Feb 23, 2006
Al US
Do you have any idea where to order such a viking whetstones in Sweden..?

A credit card sized diamond plate in the wallet and a whetstone around the neck... good idea.

These are imported from Sweden . The Company name on the package is:

Kingdom of Gold
+46 935 103 00

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I like those credit card sized diamond plates beacause they are wider than the DC4. They do not have to be wet either. They also fit in my wallet so I always have them on me. They are also of good quality.

1259605963-011.JPG

Here's a better picture of them.

So what's the story on that knife? :) Looks like something BHK might make.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE