Golite - Hex3, (or other options) further info sought..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

nowhere

Hi,
On a previous thread to do with tents, the Hex 3 was recommended a couple of times. I've looked further into it and like what i see, but can anyone who has used this give me further insight. Or if anyone has other suggestions for a good all-round tent that is not too expensive, not too heavy, - i'm all ears!

Firstly what is it like using the tent with or without the floor and / or nest?

Is it like the moskoselkatan versions - in that you can have a fire inside? I didn't see any mention of this.

Anything else i should be aware of getting a tipi shaped shelter compared to others?

Was about to go for a Hennesy Hammock, then thought i should really get something both me and the girlfriend can use first! I can't really afford a moskoselkatan tipi, although they look great.

Thanks for any help,

Steve.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I think Ben McNutt of Woodsmoke uses these, they certainly have them on their Kit list and links page, so you could contact them and have a word.
They look Ok on the web site ( apart from the colour) but I have never seen one in the flesh.

N

nowhere

Thanks,

If i end up getting one, i'll be aiming for the green one! - Just in case i end up camping somewhere i don't want to be seen a mile off.
Steve.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
though i dont own a Hex 3, Whilst on a woodsmoke course Ben was kind enough to let me try his for a night, hence my recomendation of it in your last thead.

The inside feels much larger than the outside would lead you to believe and there is plenty of room for two people + kit

I certainly would not recommend lighting a fire inside one!! though I used candles inside

its internal size to weight ratio is the best i have seen and my feeling is that it will withstand even very poor weather in exposed conditions provided the ground provides solid enough Anchoring for the pegs

if i remember correctly there is also an external loop at the apex which allows you to erect the Hex 3 without an internal pole if a tree is available from which you can secure a line, this increases the useable internal space whilse futher reducing the weight

not having a floor is usually not a problem as long as the site is well choosen

Someone who has had more extensive use could probably provide more information, as i said i have only spent one night in one

If your looking for a roomy 2 person tent that is also extreamly light weight you would be hard pressed to find better

Greens a good idea :biggthump

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Hi

I have been using a one of these tents for about a year now both with the inner and without. The only problems/shortcomings i have noticed are that in high winds it tends to pull the pegs out of the ground which is not the best but i managed to sort this by adding another set of guy line points about 2 feet up from the ground on the seams and this is working really well i have had it in 70 mph winds in the cairngorms without any problems. The other thing which isnt great is that in bad weather you have to either cook outside or be very careful cooking inside which i wouldnt really recommend unless you are very sure of your stove. Again to get over this i made a slight modification to the tent i added rucksac style releasable buckles into the attachment between the inner and outer at the door which means you can now unclip the inner and roll it back to create an inner porch and i havent had any problems now with cooking in the rain.
Other than that it is a great tent.
Hope this is of some help

Michael

N

nowhere

Thanks, this has all been very helpful - i ordered one (green!) today from www.kentdalerambler.co.uk
Michael, how did you attach the second set of guy line points? Also i can't visualise what you did for the cooking adaption. I'm sure it will be easier to see once i have it in front of me but any chance of explaining it again?

Thanks again, looking forward to it, but might not get it in time for my first bushcraft course at the weekend!

Steve.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Hi Steve

I attached the guy points by sewing on a set of webbing loops in along the seam line of the panels, i used 12mm webbing and i used zig zag stitching to attach them. I then used a section of bungee elastic and then the extra guyline attached to this, the idea behind the bungee elastic was to reduce the tension being applied to the new guy points, dont know if this is really neccessary but it certainly seams to work ok. You could try it without the elastic.
For the inner porch area the inner is attached at 6 points to the outer, or is it 8 ? cant remember but anyway all i did was to cut the two attachment webbings next to the door in half and then stitched in a quick release buckle into two sections ( the same type you find on rucksacs. The tent is then pitched as normal and when you need the inner to be drawn back you release the buckle leaving one half still attached to the tent peg and the other half with the inner.
Hope this is of help if need be i can dig the tent out and send you some pictures its not a problem.

Regards
Michael

N

nowhere

Thanks Again.

I actually got my tent today, so i have something to refer to now. Still trying to figure out the best way to put it up when using the nest also.

Yes the photo's would be great Michael but don't go to any trouble - maybe whenever you are next using it?

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE