Godmother's recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
My Godmother died about fifteen years ago, and I kept her bundle of recipes and cuttings, which may be of interest to those who like traditional cookery.
Feeling a little under the weather ? Try Strengthening mixture :

2 fresh eggs
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 pint rum
4 tablespoons best cod liver oil

Beat eggs well, add honey then rum, add oil last, keep in a well corked bottle. For a cough add the juice of a lemon.

When you made your own medicine, instead of bought it at the chemists.
Will post the odd one here from time to time if Mods don't feel its too off theme.

Trotsky

I'm a big fan of ginger tea as is my better half. Any time she or I are feeling under the weather, have a cough or cold I will mash a tea from ginger root. Usually adding a generous spoon of honey and probably lemon juice too.
It does wonders for sore throats and makes an excellent pick me up.
Hope you'll share the other recipes of your godmother's.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
OK here is one for apricot jam, old to judge by the copperplate writing in real ink :

Wash 2 pounds dried apricots, pour on four quarts boiling water, cover and leave 48 hours.
Then simmer gently for about an hour till fruit is tender. Add 7lbs sugar, boil down till it sets. Add grated rind and juice of three lemons.
Sounds nicer than bought, pity we do not eat much jam !

Trotsky

OK here is one for apricot jam, old to judge by the copperplate writing in real ink :

Wash 2 pounds dried apricots, pour on four quarts boiling water, cover and leave 48 hours.
Then simmer gently for about an hour till fruit is tender. Add 7lbs sugar, boil down till it sets. Add grated rind and juice of three lemons.
Sounds nicer than bought, pity we do not eat much jam !

Jam does keep well though and such home made delights make for good gifts. People appreciate them more because it tastes so much better than bought stuff and you've put in effort rather than just soulless cash.

nicksteele1990

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2016
Cheshire
My nan used to drink the juice of a lemon in a cup of hot water when she had a cold, sweetened with honey.

Doesn't do anything to shift the cold, but tastes nice.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I drunk lemon tea all through a recent cold and it does help.

Ginger is good for bad stomachs.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
On the apricot theme, in amongst there is an old colour booklet from Good housekeeping in association with the Bacon information council. It contains this :

Apricot stuffed bacon

3-4 slices bacon/ham
6 apricots ( soaked and cooked if using dried)
3oz breadcrumbs
Pepper
Grated nutmeg
1 egg
1 1/2 cupfuls milk and syrup from tinned apricots

Cut slices on bacon in two, chop apricots, mix with breadcrumbs, season with nutmeg and pepper and add the beaten egg.
Sandwich 2 pieces of bacon together with the mixture. Flour lightly, lay in a greased dish. Pour over milk and water or syrup and bake in a moderate oven 30 min, basting occasionally.

Not sure about this, almost worth making to try.
Enjoy if you try it !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE