The perfect mulled wine..........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Red,
I tried this in small quantaties last year and it was brilliant. Im thinking of doing a big batch and will only be using enough for half a bottle of wine at a time so Im wondering how long will the syrup keep fresh?I think that once opened it wont be long before it goes off... when I dont open it will it be ok in a few weeks time?cheers

Andy

Should be fine if kept in tight bottles. To be honest I've kept it a good long while. I camt see there is much to spol so long as the air is kept out

Red

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Thank you for the swift answer:). I think I will buy some smaller bottles to match how much actually gets used. Many thanks

Andy

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I tried your recipe BR and made a batch using your quantities. Took it up to my daughter-in-laws for Christmas dinner and it went down a storm, everybody loved it. Lucky I kept enough back for new year, this is just the ticket for around the fire at the ne-erday meet if I can make it. Cheers Red great instructions too.

Mar 5, 2010
braintree
this is spot on, I love the fact that it is ready made and can just be added rather than all the kerfuffle of making it from scratch when you come in.

Off to order the ingredients from tesco....

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Gave this a go and now I'm very popular with friends and family - the recipie even converted a few mulled wine non-beleivers!
Great stuff Red.
Thanks!!!!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...I'm wondering if mulled wine is "normal" in the US Mistwalker? Don't recall seeing it in any films

No, not really "normal" but not completely unheard of. More common is a similar version of mulled cider (alcoholic or no-alcoholic) or sometimes wassail but generally fewer spices I believe. I'll have to give your recipe a try this year.

The last few years I've seen bottles of "Spiced Wine" usually German red wine, sold around Christmas.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a great drink after a snowy walk or a boxing day shoot :)

A nice warming spicy taste.....

Just bottling 5 gallons of elderberry port right now...that one seems the local favourite round the stove...but the mulled wine still works better after some icy exercise IMO

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Its a great drink after a snowy walk or a boxing day shoot :)

A nice warming spicy taste.....

Just bottling 5 gallons of elderberry port right now...that one seems the local favourite round the stove...but the mulled wine still works better after some icy exercise IMO

I suspect the taste of the spices is enhanced by the scent of a live Christmas tree.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bumping this as I'll be making this years batch tomorrow - always a pleasure to make up - try it with the zero alcohol red wine available in most supermarkets - by far the nicest thing to drink at parties when driving that I have found - or with good apple juice for a safe "mulled cider"

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I am not sure how I missed this all these years.

I make up a spiced wine in the winter and this is worth copying, as a variation if nothing else.

I was told half a century ago that mulling a drink, wine, beer whatever, involved quenching a clean hot poker in the warmed drink directly, the temperature of the poker is to ones own taste. The burning of the drink caramelised some of the sugar and gave it that unique taste, a bit like the way you burn crème brûlée, it was not just to warm the drink, don't overdo it.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I am about to do an early batch of mulled wine syrup, so I thought I would "bump" this post or anyone looking for a present idea or enjoying these cooler days :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I do like a nice mulled wine, will have to give your recipe a go Red.
On Christmas eve I used to get a stove going outside the shop , set up the big tripod and put the huge GSI Glacier coffee pot on filled with mulled wine. (It holds about 12 pints) I'm not usually the most festive chap but I always enjoyed that. (It certainly got the staff in the mood/plastered!)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Seasonal bump. My young helper really likes this when used to prepare mulled apple juice, sounds odd but it make a lovely warming drink after a crisp day!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE