Glow sticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Twas in Go Outdoors today and as usual had to buy at least something so went for a pack of Gelert light sticks as I have more than enough of Kendal mint cake:D!

Anyway, what is the point in these things:confused:?? Says on the pack that they last for 12 yes 12 hours, hence why I spent £2.50 on them.

I tried the yellow one at about 7pm and now at 11pm it has gone 'out':( The green one I tried an hour later is still giving out just enough light to barely read by if you have excellent vision.

Both are dated as Feb 2012 expiry and did give a brief period of decent (1-2 candle power?) output but clearly are just a novelty as they just don't last anywhere near the stated time on the pack.

I feel cheated of £2.50 especially as I did not have a discount card thus a possible saving of 50p and I can't be bothered with driving to Oxford to complain:rolleyes:

Has anyone used a glow-stick that actually glows bright for more than a couple of hours?

Steve.

Sabot

Tenderfoot
I use green 12 hour Cyalume brand glow sticks. They glow brightly for 12 hours no problem and in fact still glow at 24 hours, albeit barely.

They can be used for;

Emergency light source
Ambient light (they can help any children that you may have with you from being scared of the dark as well as being fun)
Marking camp (for those bleary eyed trips into the woods at night)
With some cord they make a very good emergency signal device at night (and can be seen up to a mile away)
Marking pretty much anything you may need to find or avoid at night (I recommend a different colour for things you need to avoid)
As a safety light marker when walking country or otherwise dark roads at night.

There are other uses that escape me at the moment. I always have a couple in my EDC and have found them useful on occasion. They are a safe, waterproof and reliable light source that can be put to almost any use you can imagine. The only draw backs I have found is that they are single use and can be expensive (though I got mine in a bargain bulk buy on e-bay. Worked out at only 50p each).

Heat/Cold have an effect on how long they last I have had them glow up to 24 hours later enough to be able to stumble around in the dark with still...

when used in hot summer evenings they last me 6 to 12 hours in winter as stated up to 24 hours in temps close or under 5C and colder.....

I have also tested ones I have had in storage for 5 years with no problems....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
None of them are great sources of light, better off thinking of them as markers, they 'glow, ' don't give off great light or if they do it doesn't last long. Your (the OP) experience is pretty typical of their performance.

I bought a pack a while back and never used them for anything else other than marking where my pitch is. Without one the other week I would have been sleeping under the stars as I pitched up the dark, went away fro a bit and on the way back an orange glow showed me the way home. :)

They were bought out of Cotswolds or some other place like that and they did glow into the second night, although a bit faint but could easily see where it was.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Tie a short length of cord to them and spin to create a directional disc of light for signalling. Once used, cut them open and use an an accelerant to aid fire lighting.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I take it there are brighter versions that civvies can't obtain or are the ones in fillums that I have watched that light up a good area just fiction? The glow-stick in the film 'The Abyss' gave a good glow by example and that was years ago!

Steve.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I take it there are brighter versions that civvies can't obtain or are the ones in fillums that I have watched that light up a good area just fiction? The glow-stick in the film 'The Abyss' gave a good glow by example and that was years ago!

Steve.

Most of mine are Army sticks and they are no better than civvy ones to be honest.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Steve.

Not really, the MOD use the Cyalume ones as far as I know. The cheaper ones you get in bargain stores are crap compared to them though, usual story of you get what you pay for.

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
I often use a pair of LED glowsticks to mark my tarp. Got them last Halloween and they still work today not needed to replace batteries of yet. I turn them off when i bed down so they dont bother me or anyone else.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE